PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket lsd

J2daW
17-03-2007, 12:57 AM
hey can anyone tell me anything about 'buy and apply' lsd's? recently drove a lsd civic, loved the feel and now want one for my prelude. is it possible, has anyone done it and how/where do i get one??

aimre
17-03-2007, 10:00 AM
buy and apply?

You can get OBX lsds from the states, there like US$350

Cold Fusion
17-03-2007, 10:03 AM
that seems to cheap...or is it just me

J2daW
18-03-2007, 01:56 AM
yeah buy and apply. i made it up. u like? u talkin $350 us hey? thats bout $500? are they alright?

aimre
18-03-2007, 02:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-JDM-Helical-LSD-92-96-97-01-Honda-Prelude-H22-H23_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQitemZ1700924 48811QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

e240
18-03-2007, 08:36 AM
buy and apply?

He probably means "plug and play"

ECU-MAN
18-03-2007, 11:38 AM
he means , remove gearbox, dismantle and install and refit gearbox

J2daW
18-03-2007, 09:06 PM
na i mean use it as a paper weight till its time to do my clutch and synchros and do it all at once... like next week... the OBX one in the link looks swoit as. where to get them in aus? or is u.s. ebay the best option?

aimre
18-03-2007, 10:29 PM
get them from the US thell be lik $800 here. Australia sucks for parts, as im slowly learning

94vtirozguy
19-03-2007, 07:56 AM
the OBX reliability is also an issue. There are also other manufacturers such as kaaz and quaife.

Quaife comes with a lifetime warranty even if you use it for racing.

J2daW
20-03-2007, 11:59 PM
hey i gotta quote: kaaz $1600. i was also told integra lsd will fit. does anyone kno 4 sure? coz they'll do it for $450. and how might i find factory lsd box? as this definately represents best value 4 money.

aimre
21-03-2007, 12:58 AM
So they will give you an integra LSD for $450?

How much more is labour? Also what type of LSD is it?

J2daW
21-03-2007, 02:44 AM
apparently. no labour quote will try do it alone! he says its helical type. sound right?

aimre
21-03-2007, 10:44 PM
The OBX is helical/torsen type aswell. Labour is quiet some effort, you may wanna change the clutch while ur there

turtleEK1
22-03-2007, 04:49 PM
not sure about the OBX lsd's... they're a cheap replica of the quaife! i've heard different storys about them... from what i've heard, they are only good if you get a guy to install it knows exactly what hes doing, because there is alot of shims to install with it... if not done right... not good outcome!!

i've even seen one that they couldn't get their driveshft back in because the socket part where the driveshaft spline goes in was too small and badly damaged... and it wasn't from the installer... came like that...

lsd's aren't a one type suits all... it depends on what kind of driving you do... have helical, clutch type... 1 way, 1.5 way, 2 way...

if your car is just for street... that integra lsd may be the go... just research abit... also to remember, any labour that includes gearbox will not be cheap! can be up to around $300 just to open it, let alone work on it, put back together etc...

J2daW
23-03-2007, 08:24 AM
got another quote for $1800 for that integra lsd installed with new synchros and bearings. expensive but i think worth it. another $350 to $400 for new HD clutch. otherwise bout the same for imported lsd prelude box, but no warranty. plus clutch. thanx guys, great help.

whoosh!
24-03-2007, 08:41 AM
mite aswell but a type s box, no mucking round fits straight on, dats wot i had done to mine.

sifoo
24-03-2007, 10:39 AM
dont be a ricer and buy OBX rubbish..

buy a clutch type LSD if your serious i.e Cusco or ATS, or if you want lower maintenance get a helical type like the Quaife - no need for rebuild but less engagement as the clutch type.

It may cost twice as much, but you pay for what you get

e240
24-03-2007, 11:51 AM

How does using a particular brand make one a ricer? Have you had 1st hand experience with the OBX LSD?

sifoo
24-03-2007, 01:27 PM
How does using a particular brand make one a ricer? Have you had 1st hand experience with the OBX LSD?

do some research and you will know.

bennjamin
24-03-2007, 02:19 PM
ive done the research and the OBX unit is OK for B series.

But for D series there are issues with fitting etc.
Who knows for H series lol ?
links ?
My 0.02 cents.

fatboyz39
24-03-2007, 04:57 PM
CUSCO LSD FTW!!!.. would not use anythnig else LOL

"What you pay for is what you get"

e240
24-03-2007, 05:50 PM
do some research and you will know.

re: Research, I wouldn'y know how they installed it or who, or how they drove, but if you have 1st Hand Experience and it failed maybe we can share info why.

I've been using the OBX LSD for more than a year now. Have done supersprints etc. No Issue, in fact, works very well.

aimre
25-03-2007, 12:24 AM

buy a clutch type LSD if your serious i.e Cusco or ATS, or if you want lower maintenance get a helical type like the Quaife - no need for rebuild but less engagement as the clutch type.

It may cost twice as much, but you pay for what you get

Why only a clutvh type if your serious? Were not all drifters here. Infact, Helical is prefered for racing and OBX is a helical type LSD. (Any coincidence a type r comes with helical type???) All those brands are over DOUBLE the cost, some ppl arent made of money.

ALso dont read one thread on some site, where one guys says he has heard of lots of people having trouble with it. Cos infact, they dont. PPl have learnt from the first few times, and if u look properley, you will find that all a d-series guy has to do, is shim it correctly.

sifoo
25-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Why only a clutvh type if your serious? Were not all drifters here. Infact, Helical is prefered for racing and OBX is a helical type LSD. (Any coincidence a type r comes with helical type???) All those brands are over DOUBLE the cost, some ppl arent made of money.

ALso dont read one thread on some site, where one guys says he has heard of lots of people having trouble with it. Cos infact, they dont. PPl have learnt from the first few times, and if u look properley, you will find that all a d-series guy has to do, is shim it correctly.

Helical is preferred for racing?? wtf are u on about? DRIFTERS??? Look at the top track cars from Australia, USA and Japan. You think they use helical? NO .. why? because it lacks response and locking power.

If you bothered checking the inherent design of a clutch type LSD vs a helical, the discs provide greater locking power and more responsive engagement over the gear type diffs.

Why does Honda use a helical diff? Because its lower maintenance, lower cost, a mass produced item that is easy on everyday driving. We wouldnt want a chattering diff. for a factory car would we?

Quote: "you will find that all a d-series guy has to do, is shim it correctly' the fact that you have to shim the POS obx unit and it does not plug and play, shows testament that the quality control and development of this item is below par. What type of company produces an item that doesnt fit or operate correctly? An EBAY company.

This is the reason why I dont wish to waste my hard earned $$$ to 'try first hand', because changing a diff. isnt like changing brake pads. I would rather spend the money on something proven and not fix things twice.

Go figure.

94vtirozguy
25-03-2007, 12:17 PM
meh let them try OBX and find out 6 months later that they need a new gear box and LSD i say.

Then they may work out what the cheaper option really was :)

aimre
25-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Helical is preferred for racing?? wtf are u on about? DRIFTERS??? Look at the top track cars from Australia, USA and Japan. You think they use helical? NO .. why? because it lacks response and locking power.

If you bothered checking the inherent design of a clutch type LSD vs a helical, the discs provide greater locking power and more responsive engagement over the gear type diffs.

Why does Honda use a helical diff? Because its lower maintenance, lower cost, a mass produced item that is easy on everyday driving. We wouldnt want a chattering diff. for a factory car would we?

Quote: "you will find that all a d-series guy has to do, is shim it correctly' the fact that you have to shim the POS obx unit and it does not plug and play, shows testament that the quality control and development of this item is below par. What type of company produces an item that doesnt fit or operate correctly? An EBAY company.

This is the reason why I dont wish to waste my hard earned $$$ to 'try first hand', because changing a diff. isnt like changing brake pads. I would rather spend the money on something proven and not fix things twice.

Go figure.

a helical diff works by biasing torque from one side to the other side. they are able to transfer more torque to the wheel with traction. that's why the are so good for road racing.

Why do we need a diff that fully locks? I know drifter do (hence why mentioned) or atleast one that doesnt move around the way it transfers torque

Heres some info on diffs
http://www.torsen.com/files/Traction_Control_Article.pdf

a little quote from 'Quaife'

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that created unwanted understeer under power, or in the case of front-drive cars, even tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

I will look for more info if i u wish....

e240
25-03-2007, 02:32 PM
meh let them try OBX and find out 6 months later that they need a new gear box and LSD i say.

Then they may work out what the cheaper option really was :)

What are you saying? I've just said I've been using an OBX LSD for over a year, and have been tracking it as well. There's nothing wrong with my gearbox and I even just use normal gear oils that I've bought from the shell servo.

and to top it off, I actually have a D Series LSD in my B series Box, had to machine the plate to make it thinner (Which should mean its weaker right?) but still am not having any problems.

My point is, not all cheaper things are crap, not all expensive things are good.
In my experience, the OBX LSD are bang for buck having already tried it. Would I buy an OBX LSD again? The answer is yes...

94vtirozguy
26-03-2007, 02:06 PM
cool hope all goes well, however i am sure i can drum up one bad experience for every good one.

Benson
26-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Just get a the OEM prelude ATTS. They works like an LSD. Do some research. They came optional on preludes and standard on prelude type S.

Benson
26-03-2007, 02:47 PM
mite aswell but a type s box, no mucking round fits straight on, dats wot i had done to mine.

:thumbsup:

turtleEK1
26-03-2007, 03:03 PM
problem is alot of you guys just think that there is ONE great lsd and thats it... rest are shit... no questions asked...!!

easy enough to say... but think about it when your shopping for something... you have to think about budget, application/type of use and i guess abit of bias thoughts...

different type of lsd's are for different applications etc... just a matter of research and knowing which one you need... some people prefer clutch type because they're cheaper, but doesn't mean they're less quality... fair enough in the long run they do wear... but depending on the driver and its use, it could outlast the car and was no need to spend more on a helical type!! others prefer helical type because of they're longer lasting guarantee... but you could get one of them, not treat it right and doesn't last as long as a clutch type...

only reason brands get reputations like about the OBX lsd, is because on the net, ppl only like to make an issue from things going wrong, not going right...

i've got a mate whos running a phantom grip lsd in his sr20det... i haven't heard one good thing about them on the net, but he abuses the hell out of it, and it still runs fine...

like e240... hes been tracking an OBX and it seems fine... obviously doing something right...

i could be wrong... but thats just my opinion...

fatboyz39
26-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Well a $450 LSD compared to a 1.5K LSD there must be something different about them?

aimre
28-03-2007, 09:26 PM
^^^

Ones made in in a low labour cost country. Aswell as no need for R&D as its a copy of another.

sifoo
29-03-2007, 10:10 AM
^^^

Ones made in in a low labour cost country. Aswell as no need for R&D as its a copy of another.

Quality assurance right there :thumbsup:

ginganggooly
29-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd wonder about the amount of effort put into metallurgy by the manufacturers of the cheap-o units compared to the expensive ones.

Copying the dimensions and machining the right size gears is one thing, using the right compounds, seals, bearings clearances and whatever else is another matter entirely. Well, thats my take on things.

bennjamin
29-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Copying the dimensions and machining the right size gears is one thing, using the right compounds, seals, bearings clearances and whatever else is another matter entirely. Well, thats my take on things.

that goes for any "copy" piece made in the PRC or similar.
You can make a mould of anything but its the materials used and ofcourse small shortcuts left in that maketh the quality durable item.

Thankfully the OBX item/s are copies of the quaife yes , but its not too complicated in design so there have been only minor issues ( for example the D series units not lining up with the driveshaft splines etc)

aimre
01-04-2007, 02:19 AM
that goes for any "copy" piece made in the PRC or similar.
You can make a mould of anything but its the materials used and ofcourse small shortcuts left in that maketh the quality durable item.

Thankfully the OBX item/s are copies of the quaife yes , but its not too complicated in design so there have been only minor issues ( for example the D series units not lining up with the driveshaft splines etc)

But other than that. People love them

PaZzMaN-R
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
cusco 1.5 way lsd FTW!!!!

e240
03-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Challenger MBT FTW...Yayyyyy!!!:wave:

IntegraTS
15-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Does anyone know how much is costs to install a Lsd?

ECU-MAN
15-11-2013, 08:15 AM
That would depend on the hourly rate of the shop/person performing the work. The gearbox has to be removed and pulled apart, the differential then worked on to install the LSD. A few more adjustments and check over, possibly replacing worn parts and bearings. An actual price will vary significantly from different shops, best shop around.

Extremer!
15-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Since your in Melbourne Josh @ Sleeping Performance , is the guy to talk to .

IntegraTS
15-11-2013, 09:25 AM
thanks for the help :)

Just looking into putting a Type R lsd into my Type S, found one for cheap online.
Think its worth it?

chez00
18-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Yeah it's worth it. The Type R LSD is a good unit, one of the best for street. Get a type R 4.78 final drive and have it installed while you're at it - shouldn't be too much extra labour involved.