PDA

View Full Version : Speed limiter?

kraiye
17-03-2007, 06:56 PM
dunno if this is civic or n00b thread but do civics (specifically a '96 CXi) have a speed limiter?
I was told there was at about 160 but i was pushing 180 before I had to slow down

Rolla_ball
17-03-2007, 10:38 PM
nup i know mine doesnt

ECU-MAN
18-03-2007, 11:35 AM
audm cxi shouldnt have the 180km limit.

you dont have to drive your car on the road to find out either, Jack up the front of the car and support it on jack stands. then in 5th gently rev it up to speed.

just dont do it to long.

kraiye
18-03-2007, 08:40 PM
^^
lol!

yeah man carefull, i didnt say i was cruising down the h/way at 180k's
still felt ok with only 17" rims and king lows. think my next investment will be a sway bar though

CTR Coupe
19-03-2007, 01:27 PM
guys remember the police read forums too.
try to keep it related to track examples.

kid_dynamite
19-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Easy way to check it is throw it on a dyno.

crx51
19-03-2007, 01:39 PM
audm cxi shouldnt have the 180km limit.

you dont have to drive your car on the road to find out either, Jack up the front of the car and support it on jack stands. then in 5th gently rev it up to speed.

just dont do it to long.

**CRINGES**:eek:
Be bloody careful if you decide to do this!
I dont believe your car would have a limiter but i also think its superfluous. Would Take a very long time to get there, i doubt there'd be a track youd get it to 180 on and if you did it on the road, the amount of time you'd be spending above the speed limit trying to get there would be incredibly dangerous and would probably earn you a license suspension..

VT3C
19-03-2007, 03:25 PM
...Jack up the front of the car and support it on jack stands. then in 5th gently rev it up to speed.

WORST TECH POST EVER !! I cant believe you even said that ECU MAN !!

bennjamin
19-03-2007, 03:31 PM
what happens if the car falls off the stands with the engine + wheels doing 200 km/h ?

Killa From Manila
19-03-2007, 03:47 PM
every1 take away all his green blocks :P

JasonGilholme
19-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I doubt an engine would fall of stands.

I've done this before to test if the VSS was working. (not to 200 km'h tho.)

kyle
19-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I doubt an engine would fall of stands.

I've done this before to test if the VSS was working. (not to 200 km'h tho.)

Have you ever started up an angle grinder while not holding onto it hard enough and it violently twists as it starts? Same thing with car wheels. No point really doing this test anyway because I doubt a Cxi could do over 180 normally.

aimre
19-03-2007, 11:44 PM
what happens if the car falls off the stands with the engine + wheels doing 200 km/h ?
A REALLY big burnoout

bennjamin
20-03-2007, 06:09 AM
No point really doing this test anyway because I doubt a Cxi could do over 180 normally.

with no resistance the Cxi COULD do its theoretical geared top speed. But with normal things in the way ( car weight / wind resistance etc) it wont get there.
But my point about falling off the stands was - SOMEONE is going to get hurt.

kraiye
20-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Have you ever started up an angle grinder while not holding onto it hard enough and it violently twists as it starts? Same thing with car wheels. No point really doing this test anyway because I doubt a Cxi could do over 180 normally.

its not the same thing its totally different!! when u pull the trigger the angle grinder immediately tries to hit top rpm. unless u dump the clutch your not gonna have that twist effect.

alternatively you could put it on a hoist

Mr_will
20-03-2007, 07:20 AM
its not the same thing its totally different!! when u pull the trigger the angle grinder immediately tries to hit top rpm. unless u dump the clutch your not gonna have that twist effect.

alternatively you could put it on a hoist

what you are saying equates to "unless you dump the clutch the car will not have any torque"

of course you will still have a twisting effect, it just wont be as much of a 'jerk' as when you start an angle grinder.

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 12:06 PM

i under stand that but thats because theres such a rapid change in speeds. if you did it slowly there shouldn't be any momentum passed into the chassis.

Also remember that an angle grinder only weighs a few kilo's a car weighs over a tonne.

(this still doesn't mean its safe to do)

crx51
20-03-2007, 12:51 PM
i under stand that but thats because theres such a rapid change in speeds. if you did it slowly there shouldn't be any momentum passed into the chassis.

Also remember that an angle grinder only weighs a few kilo's a car weighs over a tonne.

(this still doesn't mean its safe to do)

At the end of the day, just dont do it. Put it on a dyno if you must find out if there's a limiter. Its possible the car will sit in perfect equilibrium while you take the wheels up to speed but there are too many things that can go wrong. Has anyone ever had a jack or jack stand slip? Its just not safe practice, chances are it wont fall off but if it does then the results wont be pretty. If you dont hurt anyone you will at least have your car drive through a wall plus probably blow your gearbox and everything as you have wheels spinning 30times a second (approx) all the sudden meeting massive resistance... Pay the 50dollars odd to go to a dyno..

~Sp33~
20-03-2007, 07:29 PM
A REALLY big burnoout

OMG LOL!!! i wish i could rep for this, i havent laughed so hard in a long time@!!!:thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
25-03-2007, 11:53 AM
1- if you know how to support a car porperly on stands there will be no porblems

2 - if the car fell off the stands do you think it will take of at the speed the wheels where traveling. NO it wont. as mentioned above you would get a big burn out.

Iv done this many time over the past 15 years for many reasons. there is no danger in doing this. it may sound scary and dangerous to you. so if you dont like it dont do it.

IF it was a stupid thing to do I would not post it. as I said in the original post dont do it for long and rev it up slowly.

you can take the wheels off to help get rid of some vibrations as well.

its much safer than driving a car at that speed.

bennjamin
25-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Disclaimer: The above is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

:D:D:D

kraiye
25-03-2007, 11:09 PM
^^^
rep for that! lol