PDA

View Full Version : Engine replacement

ccab1
22-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey peeps,

My bro just bought an 89 Honda Civic hatchback two months ago as his 1st "practice" car to get his license. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed quite a bit of oil leaking from the engine :shock: Seeing that my dad knows nothing about cars he bought it to HRC in Wetherill Park, Sydney and the guy charged him 2500 for an engine replacement :?: and he said he was doing a couple of other things too.... :? Is this reasonable? :?:

Thanks heaps!

2ds
22-06-2004, 01:18 PM
without knowing exactly what is wrong with the car.....

it's seems rather drastic to replace the WHOLE engine because some oil is leaking.

without knowing what engine it is exactly you can probably expect to pay ~800bux for an engine when you start adding labour and other parts and other work 2500 doesn't seem so bad. I would seriously question the need to replace the engine in the first place though.

hmm, lot of withouts in this post
-2ds

DR HONDA
22-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey peeps,

My bro just bought an 89 Honda Civic hatchback two months ago as his 1st "practice" car to get his license. Just a couple of days ago, I noticed quite a bit of oil leaking from the engine :shock: Seeing that my dad knows nothing about cars he bought it to HRC in Wetherill Park, Sydney and the guy charged him 2500 for an engine replacement :?: and he said he was doing a couple of other things too.... :? Is this reasonable? :?:

Thanks heaps!

Sounds like you got ripped off. Engine swap for an 89 civic fitted with a 30000km low k import engine shouldnt cost more than 1400 dollars as i have done 3 of thes fitments already.

Regards Dr Honda 0412161174

mytoycivic
24-06-2004, 09:41 AM
yeh that sounds mighty expensive for something like that. if it was a standard engine then thats a f***in rip off! sorry man but also why did he have to replace trhe whole engine? i think this guy took advantage of you... :roll:

ccab1
24-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Man, sounds like i got ripped off :x the person basically said that when he looked at the engine, it was too f**** to do an engine rebuild so he decided to replace it with an import from Japan. He also said that he would tinker around with the gearbox because it "jumped" a lot when he test drove it. Moreover he also plans to replace the disc brakes, muffler/exhaust, new tyres and rims?

I don't mean to be so sceptical about people but is that fair? :roll:

ATSE
24-06-2004, 11:27 AM
So has your dad given the car to him to work yet or not?

ccab1
24-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah he delivered the car to him like a week ago. I only came to Sydney from Melbourne three days ago for uni break....Nothing can be done about it now...I'll just see the end result.... Thanks for all the input though. Now I know where NOT to go! :|