PDA

View Full Version : Headlight aiming on HIDs (Luxury)

curik
18-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi people, the lux euro has a built in automatic headlight levelling mechanism inside to level the light beam when it carries heavy load. But how about if the car is equally lowered at both front and rear? The mechanism wouldn't know that? Does that mean we need to readjust the headlights otherwise they won't project as far as stock?

tony1234
18-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Good question.I'd like to know as well as i obviously have my car lowered.Mine appear to be OK!!!

aaronng
18-03-2007, 07:44 PM
The angle has a bigger effect that the actual height being lowered. So don't worry.

curik
18-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah you are probably right, cuddly cat. But I feel that the light doesnt project as far anymore. Is there an adjustment dial on the headlight?

EuroDude
18-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Just leave it as is ftw. The Lux HID's are too high in the first place compared to other HID cars and easily blinds ppl

curik
18-03-2007, 11:47 PM
i object!

aaronng
18-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah you are probably right, cuddly cat. But I feel that the light doesnt project as far anymore. Is there an adjustment dial on the headlight?

There might be. Have a look from the top. But I wouldn't mess with it too much, you might blind oncoming motorists.

Shadowhawk
19-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Hi jus wonderin if anyone had replaced their orig HID yet? Wat is their lifespan? Any good recommended brand n price?

tony1234
19-03-2007, 06:35 AM
When i have next service i'll ask them how to/if i need to adjust the HIDs.:D

sendok
19-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah.. i think my one also make blind motorist.. lolz.. but i tried not to.. :D

REV888
19-03-2007, 10:36 AM
I use to get blinded from all the Bimmers & Merc's in my area from the HID's now I am giving them a taste of there own Medicine! lol & now that I have a day and night mirror its not that bad too.

EuroDude
19-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Could you imagine if all cars had HID? Accidents would quadruple lol

sendok
19-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Could you imagine if all cars had HID? Accidents would quadruple lol

i bet.. lolz :D

EUR003act
25-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey guys,
Basically the euro has two ways of adjusting the HID headlights (low beam). The first is a manual adjustment (which ill show you how to do), and the second is the automatic headlight adjust (required by law to get approval for stock HID). The first one acts as a 'nominal' level for the headlights... when weight is added to the rear, the car automatically adjusts the lights down, and vice versa.
To set your 'nominal' level, you can easily use a small/medium phillips head screwdriver for a one off adjustment, but would be recommended to purchase the correct bit (tri-head screwdriver) for regular adjustments (available from Jaycar Electronics in a multi bit set $15 approx). All you need to do is park car on level ground about 20-30m away from a wall, and with your bonnet open, turn on headlights, then use the driver to adjust to the desierded hight (i find appoximately at knee height 20-30m away is good).
Rotate clockwise to raise the beam, and anti-clockwise to lower the beam. do the same for the other side, and your set :D

here's a pic of where u insert the driver (if you look into the hole youll see a tiny cog, this is what you want the screwdriver to rotate to adjust the level)

NeoNode
26-06-2007, 05:45 PM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

tron07
27-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I can adjust the headlights from inside the cabin in my other car, there is a headlight dial inside. :p

Merlin086
27-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Excellent Euro03act...........:thumbsup:

Thanks for that.
Since lowering my car 45mm all round, Ive been trying to work out how to adjust them. I have found them dangerously low, really only suitable for driving at <40k's in a dark street, allowing for reaction time.
The trouble is that with HID's they have no flood of light beyond the beam focus, so you don't see much outside the actual beam.

I just adjusted mine as described, however after close inspection I realised that if you turn the knob at the back of the adjuster clockwise with strong fingers this will adjust the focus up. (Using a screwdriver in the hole only turns a notch on a small cog, which is the knob at the back of the adjuster)
I used pliers on the drivers side as I couldn't get my hand in with the pipes in the way.

I will feel so much safer in a built up area now that I can see more than 6m in front of the car on low beam.

Thanks again for that tip.........:thumbsup:

tron07
27-06-2007, 12:19 PM
If you adjust too much, you will be blinding on coming cars with your HIDs

EUR003act
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Excellent Euro03act...........:thumbsup:

I just adjusted mine as described, however after close inspection I realised that if you turn the knob at the back of the adjuster clockwise with strong fingers this will adjust the focus up. :

yeah i realised that the day after i made the post :P

thanks