PDA

View Full Version : paint protection film

gelo
22-06-2004, 12:39 PM
does anyone have paint protection flim on their car?
i wanna put one on and ive checked out sites
but they give u prices
so i was wondering how much they are roughly
coz if its outside my budget
i mite not do it

A'PEXi
22-06-2004, 05:48 PM
not really protection i guess, but could give clear coat liquid car wax a go :D

SIKCVC
22-06-2004, 05:57 PM
its a joke mate, dont buy the stuff. I've heard from a lot of people that its a load of BS.

LatinoHatchCrap
22-06-2004, 07:25 PM
best way to keep your car portected is to wash it weekly and wax it monthly and keep it garaged or at least covered with a good car cover.

gelo
22-06-2004, 08:02 PM
ok ok ok
thanx guys

Kit
23-06-2004, 12:29 PM
best way to keep your car portected is to wash it weekly and wax it monthly and keep it garaged or at least covered with a good car cover.

woah, waxing monthly? that might be a bit too often.

if you use a good wax, it should last you ages (like 6 months)

you know when you need to wax again when water no longer beads on your paintwork.

:)

CIV73C
23-06-2004, 01:00 PM
u guys hav any suggestions of which brand of wax to use?

SIKCVC
23-06-2004, 01:25 PM
hahaha my friend waxes WEEKLY i tell him he's an idiot but meh he doesn't listen... Theres an awseme meguirs wax makes a cars paint look MINT! cost around $30 comes with an aplicator pad WELL WORTH IT!

LatinoHatchCrap
23-06-2004, 03:32 PM
its horses for courses. If your car is garaged and you drive it 2 days a week then it may nit be worth waxing monthly. if your car is a daily driver and put about 400k in a week with peak hour traffic (me!) then waxing it monthly is not a bad thing to do.

Kit
23-06-2004, 04:14 PM
I have been told (unconfirmed) by various sources that everytime you wax you wear down the clear coat slightly. and they said this was NOT with a cut and polish either, but with just a normal wax.

I drive around 400km/wk in my car and i still only wax about once every 6 months.

The wax I use is Mothers... its great stuff and its a 3 stage process, everytime I do it, it takes me about 3-4 hours, and I get really tired.

Phase 1: paint cleaner, really good for cleaning away road grime and stuff that doesnt wash off
Phase 2: Paint sealer, helps in removing swirlys
Phase 3: Carnaubra Wax, seals it all up

that lasts me about 6 months.

Meguires have a really good reputation, but i remember seeing some review once that said they weren't really that good.

wynode
23-06-2004, 04:27 PM
[quote=LatinoHatchCrap]
you know when you need to wax again when water no longer beads on your paintwork.

Actually my car does that even if its not been waxed.......I find the best way to know it needs a wax is when you slide your hand across the side of the body and your hand just slides off :D

SIKCVC
23-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Meguires have a really good reputation, but i remember seeing some review once that said they weren't really that good.

O a lot of their "instant" products this would be the case since there isn't any real instant result and the price isn't that great but this wax is really briliant.

The best stuff out there (panel beaters/sprayers love it) it was called fireglaze, now its called sunglaze or something, it comes in a crappy bottle no frills but apparently its unreal, its a mild cutter/polish its like $18 a bottle which is less then the meguires equivelent, Wet Look, which I have used and its great but it doesn't compare to fireglaze. You'll have to go to an auto paint shop but ask for the stuff that used to be called fireglaze, they should know what your on about.

fueltank
23-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Get a Zaino pack instead.
http://www.eclipsedetailing.com.au

fueltank
23-06-2004, 05:14 PM
wax test on NSX
http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

gelo
23-06-2004, 07:02 PM
[quote="Kit"]I have been told (unconfirmed) by various sources that everytime you wax you wear down the clear coat slightly. and they said this was NOT with a cut and polish either, but with just a normal wax. quote]

that cant be a good thing

my friend just told me about the protection film
its good at protecting the car aginats things like stone chips etc
coz its thicker than wax coats

but i dunno
does anyone have any actual experiecne with the stuff?

SIKCVC
23-06-2004, 07:42 PM
my dads car had it put on as a deal sweetner when he baught his VT from the dealer... doesn't apear to do shit :P

Wax is a layer on top of your paint, it doesn't eat into it like cutters. From what i understand its a sealent itself, sylicon based? It just adds a layer, thats why the panels feel so slipery. I wouldn't stress anyway, You could cut and polish your car dozens apone dozens of times before it would even be noticable, let alone wax :P