PDA

View Full Version : Grill Mod Question

V-TEC_BABY
19-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey guys i have a 96 EJ8 and i was wondering how i would go about pulling the grill (the one with the honda 'H' badge attached to it) out without doing any damage to the body of the car... an example of exactly what im trying to do is on the home page of this website with the monthly wall paper.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

aimre
20-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Its held on by 8 screws. You gotta take of your front bumper to do it.

Also they dont just have nothing there. They have a diffrent grill. I think its the "type r" one. One of the traders on here sells them for like $100

Geekstar
20-03-2007, 08:40 PM
dude i think the grill on the march wallpaper is a CTR grill. not just a grill with the Badge taken off. So go buy yourself one.

Fr3aKi3
20-03-2007, 08:46 PM
You need to take the bumper off to be able to take the grille off as there are screws on the underside.

V-TEC_BABY
20-03-2007, 09:43 PM
im not sure whether you guys know which grill im talking about... its the one between the headlights. There is a Honda Badge attached to it..

On the March wall paper its just all black, like it has been taken out..

Fr3aKi3
20-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Getting a replacement grille would probably be much simpler than modifying your current one. This is what you're after:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55443&highlight=civic+grill

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8679/image009hy9.jpg

Just keep in mind when you're making the purchase that 96-98 model civics have a different sized from grille compared to 99-2000 model ones.

aimre
21-03-2007, 12:49 AM
im not sure whether you guys know which grill im talking about... its the one between the headlights. There is a Honda Badge attached to it..

On the March wall paper its just all black, like it has been taken out..We all know what your talking about. Its a diffrent grill, like above.

Like i said before, there 8 screws, some are on the bottom of the grill. To get to those you need to take of your front bar.

When taking of your front bar, dont forget, theres 2 screws underneath, and one in each wheel arch

blazin206
21-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Hey save some money and just take the front bumper off and unscrew the honda badge from behind. i did it to my Em1 and still gives you the look of the CTR grill.

Its not that hard.:thumbsup:

dudeling7
21-03-2007, 08:45 AM
^^ on an EM1 its fine to do that becuase there is a grill in th back of it. but on EJ8's i remember when i had one i couldnt just remove the grill, it was attached together as one piece. so i had to cut it all out with a saw.

save time and get a new aftermarket one as aimre said

blazin206
21-03-2007, 09:56 AM
SORRY MY BAD! (MISSED THE EJ8 PART):confused:

mrwillz
21-03-2007, 11:07 AM
theres actually 4 screws under front bumper and 2 under fenders :)

(on myn neway)

aimre
21-03-2007, 10:26 PM
theres actually 4 screws under front bumper and 2 under fenders :)

(on myn neway)

One in each fender?? or two??

My cars got no screws under the bumper... :):):)

mrwillz
22-03-2007, 12:24 AM
one in each fender
2 bolts in the middle under the bumper
and 2 mini screws on sides (front bumper)

Muzz
22-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Hey save some money and just take the front bumper off and unscrew the honda badge from behind. i did it to my Em1 and still gives you the look of the CTR grill.

Any one know if it is posible to remove the insert (part with the h badge) on a 99 EK hatch? Can it be unscrewed from behind like the EM1?

Dont tell me to buy one like that, DIY FTW!

mrwillz
22-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Any one know if it is posible to remove the insert (part with the h badge) on a 99 EK hatch? Can it be unscrewed from behind like the EM1?

Dont tell me to buy one like that, DIY FTW!

^^ on an EM1 its fine to do that becuase there is a grill in th back of it. but on EJ8's i remember when i had one i couldnt just remove the grill, it was attached together as one piece. so i had to cut it all out with a saw.

ffs jus read
and if u stil dont get it
ONLY EM1 can unscrew it wifout having to replace new grill

Muzz
22-03-2007, 09:51 AM
ffs jus read
and if u stil dont get it
ONLY EM1 can unscrew it wifout having to replace new grill

Ahhhh dude, ffs chill out, i did read. Nowhere does is say in this thread that it can or cant be done with EK.

Ohh and the posts you quoted, they state that it can be done on the em1. THEY DO NOT state that it can ONLY be done on the EM1 and not the EK, nor do they state that the EK is unlike the EM1 grill. Or ANYTHING to do with the ek grill for that matter.

So i guess what your trying to say (with that lovly bitchy attitude), is that the EK grill is different to the EM1 grill....

I wasnt aware of this, i was under the impression they would be. Tell me how the quotes of yours were suposed to give me my answer, without knowing if the grills were the same, prefably without the asshole, know-it-all attitude... ;)

mrwillz
22-03-2007, 10:00 AM

all good?
jus taht none of the other ek models from 96-00 came wif mesh other then em1
which is a bummer coz oem fitting is da best
i got a aftermarket grill and fitting its a bit tight n etc
but int he end better to get aftermarket then fiddle round

Muzz
22-03-2007, 10:14 AM
all good?
jus taht none of the other ek models from 96-00 came wif mesh other then em1

Cheers, this is what i was unaware of, i didnt know that em1s have mesh insted of the grill, infact i know shit all about what any other model has but mine. I dont pay attention to these things.

blazin206
23-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Cheers, this is what i was unaware of, i didnt know that em1s have mesh insted of the grill, infact i know shit all about what any other model has but mine. I dont pay attention to these things.

This is a noob Forum I guess these questions will get asked over and over.

Any money a new civic owner will ask this question in a couple of months or so down the track.

Mr Willz you should be ashamed of your attitude ahahahah JKZ

kingkongw24
23-03-2007, 04:12 PM
HAHA yea people umm
i got same car 98 coupe, unscrew 1 screw from each side of the fender closest to bumper with philips screw driver.

Then maybe some underneath with some rench of some kind, myn are all gone cos i drive 50klph over speed bumps.
Then pop the black thigs with a flat head screw driver.

remove bloody grill bit, then cut the fker out.

then go to a 2$ shop and get a BIN looks like mesh lol and cut to size and rescrew in to the grill! all good gotta take a pic and show u guys.

total cost $2 and time to cut it off lol and take off bumper hehehe

thebob
24-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I have a ej8 and have done the same thing. Pull out the grill piece, then chop out the grey fins where the badge sits on. Get some mesh from auto barn or something and some silcone and bend to fit. Tak into place and leave it over night. I think all up my cost me $24 and around 2 hours. http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/ibobowns/07WAT.jpg

Muzz
24-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks nice, I take it you had to get it repainted after cutting out the centre bit?

Do you cruise around robina on the gold coast often? I quite often see a green civic with plates very simular to yours with WAT in the somwhwere.

kingkongw24
24-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Here is my $2 job.
Hey thebob, did you do your frount grill too like below your plates, got a better pic. Do ya gots a pic of how u did it of u did.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/kingkongw24/27-10-06_1913.jpg

I seen around syd that some dude did it too but looked soo dodggie cos its kinda close to the edge, not have that deep look.

Ohh gotta put Neons in it too lol

thebob
24-03-2007, 07:47 PM
yeah i did do the bottom bar aswell. It was pretty much the same principles jsut got a wood saw and choped the grey shit out, sanded it down smooth, Painted the grey bits black to hide it behind the mesh a bit more then moulded the mesh onto it. It took around 3 hours to do the bottom bar.

Muzz, nah i didnt need to re spray it, how it is is how i finished it. Nah i live in logan but i go to harbour town a little bit, cheap nikes. haha

mrwillz
29-03-2007, 12:15 AM
take that badge off
its not ctr styles nemore

mrwillz
29-03-2007, 12:18 AM
yeah i did do the bottom bar aswell. It was pretty much the same principles jsut got a wood saw and choped the grey shit out, sanded it down smooth, Painted the grey bits black to hide it behind the mesh a bit more then moulded the mesh onto it. It took around 3 hours to do the bottom bar.

Muzz, nah i didnt need to re spray it, how it is is how i finished it. Nah i live in logan but i go to harbour town a little bit, cheap nikes. haha

good job tho cant really tell where u'sve painted grey to hide where u sawed off

kingkongw24
30-03-2007, 12:32 AM
take that badge off
its not ctr styles nemore

Wait up me??

Umm sorry whats CTR style?? umm saw it alot but yea please forgive me for being bit ignorent......

mrwillz
30-03-2007, 07:43 PM
its the grill and mesh only
no badge
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1116981&postcount=3761
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63656
looks better
try it, remove ur badge

thebob
30-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Its a coupe mate, not claiming that its a ctr. haha

kingkongw24
31-03-2007, 02:26 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/kingkongw24/mycar1.jpg

u mean like this, cos i like it with a badge.

kingkongw24
31-03-2007, 02:27 AM
hey sorry what does CTR stand for again??????

mrwillz
31-03-2007, 03:14 AM
civic type r

mrwillz
31-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Its a coupe mate, not claiming that its a ctr. haha

i did say ctr styles

thebob
31-03-2007, 10:17 AM
CTR is on the bonnet anyhow, this is dreamer styles.

defect
31-03-2007, 11:22 AM
take that badge off already, no badge ftw!

mrwillz
31-03-2007, 04:58 PM
CTR is on the bonnet anyhow, this is dreamer styles.

we're talkning grill

CTR Coupe
31-03-2007, 05:42 PM
you can take the grill out without taking the bumper off. but you have to user a screwdriver through the front of the bumper and stick your hand up.
heres my diy grill.

Drilled Stainless steel mesh painted black.
http://users.on.net/~mcb21/myphoto/newphoto2/3.jpg
http://users.on.net/~mcb21/myphoto/newphoto2/5-1.jpg

I pressed the mesh between the colored surround and the black plastic backing. you wont be able to do this with the expanded mesh stuff you get from autobahn etc its too flimsy.

thebob
31-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I used that mesh from autobahn.

Badge stays, just cause it seems to bother you all i will keep it there :P

Muzz
02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
which is a bummer coz oem fitting is da best
i got a aftermarket grill and fitting its a bit tight n etc
but int he end better to get aftermarket then fiddle round

Hey man mind me asking where you got yours from? I see alot for cheap on ebay, has anyone tried these with success??:thumbdwn: :thumbsup:

mrwillz
03-04-2007, 01:46 AM
i got from a member on here that had it ForSale
check some traders on here, which i fink are good replica's