PDA

View Full Version : [CiviC-06] Scuff Plate Installation

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just recently purchased the Civic 06 Scuff Plates with the Blue Light. It looks really nice and I tried to install it last night but ran into some difficulty, mainly with finding a constant power source.

I obviously want to have it so that when u open the door, the scuff plate light turns on. Just wondering if any of you have installed these scuff plates before?

Also where the scuff plate sits on the door. exposes the wire that you have to run to the inside of door trim, is there any way around this other than drilling a small hole?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

denot
20-03-2007, 10:59 AM
hi, i was going to buy this one as well... did u bought it from Ebay? hopefully some1 can help us in this... ^_^

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 11:26 AM
hi, i was going to buy this one as well... did u bought it from Ebay? hopefully some1 can help us in this... ^_^

yeah i bought it off ebay...better than buying from dealer...

ive checked 8thCivic.com and other forums but no luck just yet.

Thanks for ur reply

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 11:30 AM
use the interior light as a source.

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 11:37 AM
use the interior light as a source.

yeah i was thinking abt that as a last minute option..bt i would prefer when u open say the drivers door, the door sill lights up, i think if i connect it to the dome light..that when any door is open, all lights will appear on..

i dunno will get it looked at again 2nite...

thnx for ur help..JasonGilholme

TypeG
20-03-2007, 11:41 AM
there is always a wire near yr fuse under the driver side dash. All you need is a tester and keep trying on each wire

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 11:43 AM
If you only want the door one to light up connect it to the appropriate door sensor. (ie left door sill to left door sensor etc.)

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 11:50 AM
If you only want the door one to light up connect it to the appropriate door sensor. (ie left door sill to left door sensor etc.)

Hi JasonGailholme, thanks again for ur help, Im gonna give it another try tonight and see how i go, to also give it a more flush installation, I might even have to drill so that the wire that connects the scuff plate is hidden...=(

anyways..will update u guys with some pics hopefully!!

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Nothing wrong with drilling.

Make sure you connect all wires properly (twist and tape isn't always good enough) and if you do drill a hole make sure you use a rubber grommit so that your wires don't get cut and so that you don't get any rust.

:thumbsup:

AusAccord
20-03-2007, 12:18 PM
have installed the same in my 07 Odyssey (scuff for Ody for sure). first two options for constant power, i) fm fuse box as Jason's advice ii) the way i did connect constant power between seat and door sill. once you removed the plastic/rubber trims, test each wire with meter/light to locate the constant power then use a clip to tap the +ve for the scuff (presume red)

Extend the -ve for scuff (presume black) and tape to the door sensor (near door on the body) trigger the interior light. Once done, u r ready to rock and roll.

DO NOT drill any hole in the body for the scuff wire. Try to locate the wire near close to the door sill and you would not see it once the rubber trims been installed back but make sure the metal would not cut the wire easily.

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Nothing wrong with drilling.

Make sure you connect all wires properly (twist and tape isn't always good enough) and if you do drill a hole make sure you use a rubber grommit so that your wires don't get cut and so that you don't get any rust.

:thumbsup:

yeah ive already soldered the passenger doors connection, but yeah might have to drill..to give it a more flush look...

it actually looks really good when lit hey..

JasonGilholme
20-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah i've seen some good examples of these.

Good to see some soldering action :thumbsup:

denot
20-03-2007, 01:16 PM
yeah ive already soldered the passenger doors connection, but yeah might have to drill..to give it a more flush look...

it actually looks really good when lit hey..

hey knight where do you live? Can I come to see how you do this? :p

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 01:28 PM
heya man im in perth..hahaha..

i'll try n get as many detailed pics as i can..for future reference..

im also getting my HID installed on thursday..so if im still having problems..then i

might get the guys @ the workshop 2 look at it for me...

denot
20-03-2007, 01:43 PM
heya man im in perth..hahaha..

i'll try n get as many detailed pics as i can..for future reference..

im also getting my HID installed on thursday..so if im still having problems..then i

might get the guys @ the workshop 2 look at it for me...

argh... too bad then... well let us know if you've installed them... i wanna have a look on how its looks like and how you install them...

ty...

kn_19_ht
20-03-2007, 04:56 PM
For those to want to try self installation; here it goes ....

Hint for installation:

install at room temp.
1-remove all dirt and grease by wiping with lighter fluid. Some prefer to use Turpentine.
2-use 3M adhesive enhancer or lighter fluid to clean the designated surface
3-stick it on.
4-press evenly and firmly
5-do not wash the car in 24 hours

Advanced installation (Concealment of wires)

1. Drilling is required. x8 holes (1.5mm) Please consult experts, not for child play.
2. Wire tapping, to dome light, starts from driver side.
3. Laying wire to next 3 doors.

To remove the parts:
drop lighter fluid into the gap between the parts and the car then peel it off
with the help of a tough string. Usually i use a fishing line.
-lighter fluid won't hurt paint but a scraper does.

Note:
Zippo lighter fluid is fuel for old lighter. Cost abt $2-3. Can buy anywhere.
Use new 3M double-side tape if you want to attach the part that has been removed before
Use a lighter to warm up the double-side tape if the parts need to be installed in cold temperature
Wiring might be abit technical, so if you are not sure, better get a professional to help you .
Optional: Drilling might be required. 2holes,1.5mm each. per door sill (its for the concealment of wire, if only u want to.)

This is from a fellow Civic Member in another forum..so i'll give it a try 2nite..

denot
21-03-2007, 08:28 AM
knight... thanks for this... some pics after you install them would be nice...

^_^

gerard
21-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Heres some DIY for a Swift. The same installation principles apply.

http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vtj.19748.htm

kn_19_ht
22-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Heres some DIY for a Swift. The same installation principles apply.

http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/vtj.19748.htm

thanks gerald for the very informative link...as for my car..ive managed to get the passenger doors working..bt i think ive kinda blown the black box that connects the scuff plate to the wiring..so now i gotta get 2 new ones..*sigh*

my HID's are being installed in about 1 hr! hahha..quite excited dun worry i'll try n update u guys with some pics soon..

btw: does anyone know wat headlight globes we use in our civic????? please let me know!! thankyou!

gerard
22-03-2007, 03:30 PM
hb3 and hb4 aka 9005, 9006. can't remember which is lo and hi. its in the owners manual anyway

Aco3n
22-03-2007, 11:51 PM
hb4 9006 confirm

kn_19_ht
26-03-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks man..my 8k HID looked weird with the standard parking lights..the workshop said they couldnt change it hahah and the bulbs they gave me..we're just a normal colour anyway..

on the weekend..i installed the new parking lights..look ok..and also removed that front plastic behind the number plate...

i took my car in this morning to the panel beaters..and asked them 2 see if they can replace my standard vti wing mirror to the sports one....

they called me back and said its a "nightmare" to fit.and wire.. i was thinking how hard can it be!!...

anywayz car will be out of the panel shop on thursday...

looking @ getting a new muffler..and putting on some new shoes..n suspension hahah..

will keep u guys updated..and pics soon..

denot
27-03-2007, 10:53 AM
YAY! pics pleaseeeeeeee........... cant wait to see your door garnish as well... ^_^

gerard
28-03-2007, 03:42 PM
here's a DIY door mirror on a US civic. when you feel inclined

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4303&highlight=mirror