PDA

View Full Version : Prelude 5th Gen ABS brake bleeding

abzndintegra
20-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I had to remove my ABS unit, ive since replaced it but ppl tell me i need to organise a mechanic to bleed my brakes because he uses a special piece of equiptment,

Now another mechanic has advised that my ABS is a new generation ABS and it auto bleeds itself all i do is a manual bleed of the brakes and it should be ok, has anyone had any experience with this?

iket
26-03-2007, 10:16 PM
The honda service manual dictates for a 5G lude that the bleeding is done by topping up the resevoir whilst someone is applying the brakes and draining it. Of course you need to do the furtherest wheel from the pedal first to get all the old stuff out, making sure you don't get it on your paintwork!

It does outline a fluid indicator test where you place your meter across the terminals and check the continuity in both full and empty states. Nothing that would require any special tools other than a bleed kit.

Your ABS unit is only an electronic device which controls the application of the brakes and the unit itself will work fine without brake fluid in the lines (the brakes won't be working tho) The hydraulic system is reliant on the fluid, but doesn't need any calibration or special tools/equipment.

So basically, if you just tinkered with your brakes and need to bleed them, just the conventional method of adding to the resevoir while draining is what Honda would do according to their manual.

Hope that helps!

ECU-MAN
26-03-2007, 10:31 PM
5th gen uses low pressure ABS system, so you just bleed the brakes as normal. the above post will do the trick.

check the DIY section to find out what you do if you have the old high pressure system.

abzndintegra
27-03-2007, 09:16 AM
thanks boyz for the reply,

i still couldnt manage to do it, i ended up towing it to hanny's! he fixed it up pretty quick.