PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor

YELLOWDC2R
22-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello,

How can you tell when it is time to replace the oxygen sensor. Do you guys normally just wait till the engine check turned on or is there a specific time when the oxygen sensor get replace.

Thank you.

shadou
22-03-2007, 05:49 PM
umm pretty sure it's when the engine light comes on, then you bring it into the Honda people and they type away at their car diagnostic tool and ring you back with a price.. I think :p

SINISTR
22-03-2007, 05:50 PM
a price of about $400+ LOL!

i believe a good time to change an O2 sensor is every 100000kms - same time as timing belt.

EuroDude
22-03-2007, 05:59 PM
When you get an ECU code that relates to the Oxygen Sensor, or if the engine has a problem that could be caused by the O2 Sensor, thats when you replace it.

My Civics O2 Sensor lasted 200,000km ftw

Nikki
22-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Oxygen Sensors Don't Last Forever
Here's What Happens As They Age

As an oxygen sensor ages, contaminants from normal combustion and oil ash accumulate on the sensing element. This reduces the sensor's ability to respond quickly to changes in the air/fuel mixture. The sensor slows down and becomes "sluggish".
At the same time, the sensor's output voltage may not be as high as it once was, giving the false impression that the air/fuel mixture is leaner than it actually is. The result can be a richer-than-normal air/fuel mixture under various operating conditions that causes fuel consumption and emissions to rise.
The problem may not be noticed right away because the change in performance occurs gradually. But, over time, the situation will get worse, ultimately requiring the sensor to be replaced to restore peak engine performance.
Oxygen Sensor Failures Can Mean
Big $$ In Repairs If Not Replaced

The normal aging process will eventually cause the oxygen sensor to fail. However, the sensor may also fail prematurely if it becomes contaminated with lead from leaded gasoline, phosphorus from excessive oil consumption or silicone from internal coolant leaks or using silicone sprays or gasket sealers on the engine. Environmental factors such as road splash, salt, oil and dirt can also cause a sensor to fail, as can mechanical stress or mishandling.
A dead sensor will prevent the onboard computer from making the necessary air/fuel corrections, causing the air/fuel mixture to run rich in the "open loop" mode of operation, resulting in much higher fuel consumption and emissions.
An additional consequence of any oxygen sensor failure may be damage to the catalytic converter. A rich operating condition causes the converter to run hotter than normal. If the converter gets hot enough, the catalyst substrate inside may actually melt forming a partial or complete blockage. The result can be a drastic drop in highway performance or stalling because of a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust system.
Do YOU Know When It's Time To
Replace YOUR Oxygen Sensor?

Although some cars have an oxygen sensor "reminder" light to alert you when it is time to check the oxygen sensor, most do not. So, unless there's a noticeable driveability problem or a "Check Engine" light on, most people have no way of knowing if their oxygen sensor is functioning properly or not.
The growth of emissions testing nationwide is changing that, along with the introduction of new "enhanced" emissions testing programs that simulate real world driving conditions while emissions are being measured. The latter is proving to be very effective at catching emission problems that formerly escaped detection. Great! So you'll find out your oxygen sensor is bad only when you flunk your emissions test! Nice to know, huh?
According to a study conducted by Sierra Research, Inc., in 1996, oxygen sensor failure is the "single greatest source of excessive emissions for fuel-injected vehicles" and the second most significant cause of high emissions in carbureted engines.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have found that oxygen sensor replacement was required on 42%-58% of all vehicles that were subjected to an emissions check and were found to be emitting high levels of hydrocarbons (HC) or carbon monoxide (CO). Checking the operation of the oxygen sensor and feedback control system, therefore, should always be a priority anytime a vehicle fails an emissions test due to high HC or CO.
Oxygen sensor performance can be checked by reading the sensor's output voltage to make sure it corresponds with the air/fuel mixture (low when lean, high when rich). The voltage signal can also be displayed as a wave form on an oscilloscope to make sure the signal is changing back and forth from rich to lean and is responding quickly enough to changes in the air/fuel ratio.
Don't Wait For Failure
Replace Your Oxygen Sensor as Normal Preventive Maintenance

To minimize the consequences of normal aging, Bosch recommends oxygen sensor replacement for preventive maintenance at the following intervals:
Type of Car

Mileage Replacement Interval Recommended

Unheated oxygen sensors on 1976 to early 1990s vehicles

Every 30,000 - 50,000 miles

Heated (1st generation) oxygen sensors on mid-1980s to mid-1990s vehicles

Every 60,000 miles

Heated (2nd generation) oxygen sensors on mid-1990s and newer vehicles

Every 100,000 miles

Keeping the oxygen sensor fresh may improve fuel economy as much as 10%-15% (which can save $100 each year in fuel costs on average). Keeping the oxygen sensor in good operating condition will also minimize exhaust emissions, reduce the risk of costly damage to the catalytic converter and ensure peak engine performance (no surging or hesitating).
For these reasons, the oxygen sensor should be considered a "tune-up" replacement item just like spark plugs, especially on older vehicles (those built before the mid-1990s).
Bosch Oxygen Sensors
Your Only REAL Choice to Avoid Problems

Bosch oxygen sensors are an exact replacement for the original (OEM/OES). The construction, number of wires and connectors are the same as the OE, which eliminates the risks associated with splicing and crimping wires (required for many "universal" replacement oxygen sensors).
Some three- or four-wire universal oxygen sensors also do not have the same heater circuit watt ratings as the OE sensor, which may cause driveability and emissions problems. There is also a potential for damaging the computer and/or oxygen sensor if a multiwire universal sensor is connected incorrectly. The lack of standardization of wire colors increases the risk of an incorrect installation.
So, when it comes time to replace your import car's oxygen sensor, there's no question that you'll get the best fit and performance from the OE oxygen sensors built by Bosch.

http://www.autohausaz.com/assets/images/BoschOxygenSensor.gif
A Few Important Things to Remember

Heed these tips and you're well on your way to passing emissions with flying colors and saving money in fuel costs and repair bills:
Tip #1: Increased fuel consumption, driveability problems (hesitation or surging), "Check Engine Light" lit or emissions test failure could all be signs of an oxygen sensor in need of replacement.
Tip #2: An additional consequence of any oxygen sensor failure may be damage to your car's catalytic converter - a very expensive way to find out your oxygen sensor needs replacement!
Tip #3: Checking the operation of the oxygen sensor and feedback control system should always be a priority anytime a vehicle fails an emissions test due to high HC or CO.
Tip #4: Keeping your oxygen sensor(s) fresh may improve fuel economy as much as 10%-15% (which can save $100 each year in fuel costs on average). Keeping the sensor in good operating condition will also minimize exhaust emissions, reduce the risk of costly damage to the catalytic converter and ensure peak engine performance (no surging or hesitating).
Tip #5 - Thanks to Tom C. For Pointing This One Out: The oxygen sensor operates in an extremely hostile environment. Like a spark plug, it is threaded and screws into its mounting location. Normally the O2 sensor is supplied with anti-seize compound on the threads so it can be more easily removed at the specified change interval. Over time, the anti-seize compound loses its effectiveness and the sensor can become "welded" into its location, making it nearly impossible to remove using normal tools. Using excessive force to remove the oxygen sensor may damage the sensor and surrounding components. If the sensor becomes seized in its mounting location, a simple 15 minute replacement job can become a much more complex and difficult task. Replacing the O2 sensor within the specified change interval will minimize the possibility of this problem and additional component damage. Bear in mind: A non-functional or visibly damaged oxygen sensor may cause you to fail an emissions test if you live in an area that requires regular emissions testing.

found this.. hope it helps

taken from there http://www.autohausaz.com/html/emissions-oxygen_sensors.html

that website yay to that website!!!!! *looks at nick*

YELLOWDC2R
23-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

AsH_
27-03-2007, 01:05 AM
a price of about $400+ LOL!

i believe a good time to change an O2 sensor is every 100000kms - same time as timing belt.

is it really that much 4 a sensor????

SINISTR
27-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Honda will charge in the vicinity of $400 for a genuine Honda O2 sensor - yes.

that is why many people opt to get aftermarket sensors for $150 - quality is a bit down and probably needs replacing a little more often.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 08:31 AM
150 bucks every 100,000 k's???

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

shadou
27-03-2007, 11:28 AM
lol umm whoops :p think I better change mine soon then XD

AsH_
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
i might as well do mine 2...

AsH_
22-03-2008, 02:09 AM
i looked down my engine bay and saw my o2 sensor at the end of the headers...

it had 3 wires !

i thought there was only 1 or 4 wire o2 sensors ????

beeza
22-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Great reminder,always thought about doing it and now I'm gonna.Thx especially to Nikki for the find!!!

beeza
04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I bought one,took it to my local muffler shop to get it put in and it was the wrong one but he said you could basically take it out and it won't affect the car.

dsp26
13-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I bought one,took it to my local muffler shop to get it put in and it was the wrong one but he said you could basically take it out and it won't affect the car.

proves some muffler shops are so dumb... nothing more than a congregation of unqualified welders

beeza
14-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Mine must be 12 yrs old now,should i change it? I thought I should.

dsp26
14-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Mine must be 12 yrs old now,should i change it? I thought I should.

got a cheap source for you if interested.. pm me

dumped echo
14-08-2008, 05:31 PM
i wonder if you can clean them....

beeza
14-08-2008, 05:40 PM
You can but it's not worth it.Just replace it if it's old.Hey dsp26 is it cool to post that link? It's cheap :)

dsp26
14-08-2008, 07:09 PM
You can but it's not worth it.Just replace it if it's old.Hey dsp26 is it cool to post that link? It's cheap :)

yeah if you want...

installed one in the mrs dc4 today.. engine light and surge issue gone.. she had a milder version of what was happening in mine.. my engine would randomly shut off while driving and i thought it was an ICM issue. twas sooo not funny with tailgating v8 drivers behind me on the m7 on-ramp and engine suddenly shutting off :/

it's cheap, i reckon it should be changed once a year

beeza
14-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Coolio :)
http://search.stores.ebay.com/alanisdeals06_civic_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZalani sdeals06QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ5573675QQsaselZ8999 0741QQsofpZ0

CB7_OWNER
14-08-2008, 10:30 PM
For my car in particular ( accord 91)... apparently according to another forum i visit, although there are other o2 sensors made for my car by bosch.... apparently it will also trigger a code if i use aftermarket, soo in my case i have to use OEM denso made...
In most situations OEM is best =D

dsp26
14-08-2008, 10:50 PM
For my car in particular ( accord 91)... apparently according to another forum i visit, although there are other o2 sensors made for my car by bosch.... apparently it will also trigger a code if i use aftermarket, soo in my case i have to use OEM denso made...
In most situations OEM is best =D

well what Beeza posted up are "OEM replacements" with the correct plug and number of wires for the sensor to function correctly for the specific application.

it's all good and well to take advice from forums and others but look into the bigger picture yourself and understand WHY it didn't work.. they all have the same function but have minor wiring differences.

the reason "aftermarket" ones usually don't work is coz their classified as 'universal' without even the correct number of wires. for example people buying the unheated single wire ones for a honda is just a mad no-no.. will definitely give a code

if you don't know who to trust read my sig... learn for yourself and find your own answers :)

Limbo
15-08-2008, 04:35 PM
got one for $100 a 4 wire one also for the b16

Limbo
15-08-2008, 04:36 PM
P.S take your old one with you just to make sure

mojo the flashy monkey
18-08-2008, 12:07 AM
lol mine was not plugged in :P. you think that would be the reason that the car was not getting power proper?? lol its plugged in now the mech was meant to do it when he put on the exhaust but mhe.

beeza
18-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Andy at AKMotorworks on here sells them for $100 too.

dsp26
18-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Andy at AKMotorworks on here sells them for $100 too.

i would get those if their the oem replacements.

only got the ebay ones coz they were urgent and my rebuild was in process. even if the ebay ones serve half their lifetime then i still got my money's worth because their half price lol.

I really think everyone here with over 100,000Kms should change it... small investment... people here spend that much on iridium plugs and air filters, etc...

beeza
18-08-2008, 01:45 PM
haha,true true :)

iwantvtec
19-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I dnt evn think i hv a o2 sensor on my headers. though no error check lights come on? ... wtf?

beeza
20-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah,I heard U can take it out and it wont affect anything...???

Limbo
20-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Breeza - if you take it out your will run slightly richer & fuel economy goes down.
iwantvtec - I don't think the check light comes on for no O2 sensor. Run a ECU diaginostics, what may come up with the error check

dsp26
20-08-2008, 02:41 PM
^^which is odd because a dead/dying one gives a CEL + engine stumbles

twing
20-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I dnt evn think i hv a o2 sensor on my headers. though no error check lights come on? ... wtf?

You have B16? you should have them. Go under the car and check. One before the cat and one on/after the cat. The first one is on head collector pipe.

D16 has the first sensor on primary pipe, which is clearly visible on engine bay.

beeza
20-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Ah thanks Limbo,I thought as much...

iwantvtec
21-08-2008, 04:23 PM
i dnt hv 1 but it got disabled in my ecu. peace.

dsp26
21-08-2008, 05:05 PM
i dnt hv 1 but it got disabled in my ecu. peace.

you have one of those spoon/mugen/skunk2 chips right?

i had one, disables O2 sensor... dyno showed no gains and loss of power in midrange due to the lower vtec x-over + shit fuel economy coz of no o2 sensor.. was lucky to get 300km from 42l.

beeza
21-08-2008, 05:09 PM
wow...