PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems with Civic 06

tegvtir
22-03-2007, 10:57 PM
My civics done roughly 10,000 kms and the brakes are screeching!!! anyone have the same problem? or am i doing something wrong lol

xenfacta
23-03-2007, 06:29 AM
interesting... mines not making noises.... have been stomping on them much lately?

jeffske
23-03-2007, 06:34 AM
or am i doing something wrong lol

stop going sideways around corners

aaronng
23-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Screeching or squealing? Check the pad thickness through your rims with a torchlight. See how many mm of pad material you have left on all 4 wheels.

Zdster
23-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Screeching or squealing? Check the pad thickness through your rims with a torchlight. See how many mm of pad material you have left on all 4 wheels.

Even if you were leaning really hard on the brakes, I would have thought that 10,000km's for a set of stock pads is pretty quick, no?

gerard
23-03-2007, 08:21 AM
would be real unusual for pads to wear to the metal.

if pads are juddering, a few hard stops either in forward or reverse motion may clean up the oxides on the pads.

other possibility may be stones caught between the dust shield and the disc

aaronng
23-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Even if you were leaning really hard on the brakes, I would have thought that 10,000km's for a set of stock pads is pretty quick, no?

I know someone who wore his rear pads down in 9000km.

denot
23-03-2007, 12:30 PM

yeah, i kno sum1 who accel with right foot and brakes with left foot... she has to change the brake pad before hit 5000 kms... :p

Zdster
23-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Really? That is really quick.

Aco3n
23-03-2007, 02:33 PM
mine 19000.. still doin alrite.. nothing wrong..

siu789
15-05-2007, 03:12 AM
MY BREAK GOT THE SAME PROBLEM ON 6000KM ALREADY....N..I BRING IT BACK TO HONDA...THEY TRY TO FIX. IT .....BUT AFTER still got the same problem....do u think the they can change me the new break@_@???

idunlie
15-05-2007, 03:26 AM
lol i thought i was hearing things. i've also heard noises while i brake. but i didn't believe it was me cause my car has only done 22000km's.

i brought my car in for service at 20000kms and asked them to check my brakes, they checked it and said they couldn't find the problem and said they cleaned my pads? (lol dunno, they said something along those lines) and i still do hear noises once in a while, it isn't always.

aaronng
15-05-2007, 10:09 AM
MY BREAK GOT THE SAME PROBLEM ON 6000KM ALREADY....N..I BRING IT BACK TO HONDA...THEY TRY TO FIX. IT .....BUT AFTER still got the same problem....do u think the they can change me the new break@_@???

I think what you are hearing is brake squealing. Since the dealer looked at it and had already tried to fix it, I assume that your pads are still good. You can apply anti-squeal on to the outside of the pad, but the only fix that will work is to go for aftermarket pads. I had squealing on my Euro too until I changed to different pads.

Zdster
15-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I think what you are hearing is brake squealing. Since the dealer looked at it and had already tried to fix it, I assume that your pads are still good. You can apply anti-squeal on to the outside of the pad, but the only fix that will work is to go for aftermarket pads. I had squealing on my Euro too until I changed to different pads.

Yep, as I said here, something has to give: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1137744

If you change your pads out you should fix some of the problems.

krogoth
16-05-2007, 12:44 PM
i cant believe this is happening to the new civic

ive done almost 40k kmz on my 7th gen civic

my brakes get used quite a bit

and i dont have this squealing problem

its completley ludicrous for pads to be replaced after such a short period of use

go harass honda if it really is that bad

but i reckon u might be doing something wrong, coz i know plenty of people that have 8th gen civics with no brake squealing or any other problems

then again it could just be some dust or a stone stuck between one of the pads and the rotor

andyhui01
16-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I've done ~17k km on my civic... just recently went for a service and I still have 85% of my brakes left... ( and I do drive fast once inawhile)

Professional
16-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Normally, brake pad will not finish that fast (9000km). Before you want to change the brake pad, you may check the space between the brake disc and brake disc covers, it maybe some stones or clips or anythings between them to make that sound. Hope you can solve the problem soon.

furiouswilly
16-05-2007, 09:57 PM
I have the same noise on my 06 . It doesn't appear to affect braking performance at all. It sounds to me like a pressure relief lifting. Today's anti-lock braking systems are all pressurized, and it could be a relief valve lifting somewhere in the system., and one person's dealer told them it was part of the normal operation of the brake system. A little more detail on what is causing the noise (even if it is normal) would have helped, but I am not concerned about this "quirk" at the moment.

siu789
17-05-2007, 11:56 AM

SO....TEHY DUN'T COME WITH THE WARRNATTY ?.? 4 the honda break pads?

aaronng
17-05-2007, 12:02 PM
SO....TEHY DUN'T COME WITH THE WARRNATTY ?.? 4 the honda break pads?

Brake pads are consumable items and not covered under warranty. But if you complain about the squealing, it is up to your dealer on whether they want to help you fix it to keep you happy (but Honda Australia won't reimburse them for their work).

Zdster
17-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Brake pads are consumable items and not covered under warranty. But if you complain about the squealing, it is up to your dealer on whether they want to help you fix it to keep you happy (but Honda Australia won't reimburse them for their work).

If they are not going to fix my paint they are definetly not going to warranty break pads - sorry, just had to bring it up :p.

krogoth
17-05-2007, 05:17 PM
If they are not going to fix my paint they are definetly not going to warranty break pads - sorry, just had to bring it up :p.

lol

nothing rong with ur orange paint mike

ROFL

T.E.D.
17-05-2007, 07:18 PM
if the pads have been cleaned at the dealer and they are still noisy, you will possibly need to get the disc rotors machined. if the discs are grooved bad enough,they will make the pads vibrate ( squealing noise ) and anti squeal compound will only last a short while. honda pads are usually very good quality, but even the best pads will squeal if the rotors are worn. try to find a repair shop that has a procut pm9 on car brake machining tool. very accurate and quick.
cheers

aaronng
17-05-2007, 10:32 PM
if the pads have been cleaned at the dealer and they are still noisy, you will possibly need to get the disc rotors machined. if the discs are grooved bad enough,they will make the pads vibrate ( squealing noise ) and anti squeal compound will only last a short while. honda pads are usually very good quality, but even the best pads will squeal if the rotors are worn. try to find a repair shop that has a procut pm9 on car brake machining tool. very accurate and quick.
cheers

No, the brake pads on the new models, especially with the Euro and Civic are not good. The pads on the 06 and 07 Euros have a new part number so they have been changed from the 03-05 models which had squealing problems as well as leaving deposits on the rotor when it is hot (and often mistaken as rotor warp). I had squealing and now that I have changed to an aftermarket pad, my brakes are silent without needing to machine the rotors.

Don't machine your rotors if they are not warped already. After machining, the thinner rotors are more succeptible to warping.