PDA

View Full Version : liquid dripping from exhaust pipe

channon
23-03-2007, 09:13 PM
this might be a noob question...but i want to knwo why on some cars there are liquid dripping out from the exhaust pipe, even if they are very new cars (less than 1 year old)

destrukshn
23-03-2007, 09:22 PM
condensation, usually when the motor is cold, and when the weather is cold, eg, morning.

[ricer]
23-03-2007, 09:22 PM
water condensation out of the muffler?

Chi
23-03-2007, 09:23 PM
yes out of the muffler.

Its normal, just let engine run a bit and rev it, itll dissapear after it warms up

b18c_crx
23-03-2007, 09:53 PM
its just moist biuld up thens becomes water or liquid, and i think when u have park your car for a while water comes out of it aswell

Zilli
23-03-2007, 10:33 PM
condensation is like the foggie building on your windows in a cold or rainy night or when you getting frisky at your favourite lookout!

when you turn the motor on the heat turns the fog into water and it comes out of the end of the exhaust

aimre
23-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Water is ment to come out of your exhaust. The product of stoic combution is H20 + CO2.

(2)C8H18 + (25)O2 = (16)CO2 + (18)H20

Basicly means, that for every 2 petrol molecules and 25 oxygen molecules burnt, u get 16 corbon dioxides and 18 water molecules.
Enough of the chemistry lecture.

Basicly water is coming out of your engine, but since its so hot, it comes out as a gas. When u start ur car, the pipes are cold, the water molecules come in contact with the cold pipes and cool to a temp below their gas state, thus becoming liquid.

Now as the pipes warm up, the water either gets blown out (the droplets you see coming outta the exhaust) or eventually evaporate.

This is one reason short trips are bad. The condensed water wont evaporate outta your pipes as they havent got warm enough yet, and they just pool around, starting an oxidation (rust) reaction... now dont get me into that one

panda[cRx]
23-03-2007, 11:39 PM
like the others said it's condensation. that's probably the main reason old mufflers rust out