PDA

View Full Version : painting dash

Boost Cruisin
23-06-2004, 04:49 PM
i want to paint my dash in silver ie the parts around the instrument cluster, aircon controls etc.. and the vent covers

is itbests to use the spray can stuff that u buy from superchea or autobarn?

or to use 2pac?

thjanks

Boost Cruisin
26-06-2004, 05:59 PM
either that or where can i get one of those aluminium dash kits for an LS integra?

mooshie
27-06-2004, 04:51 PM
never seen any sort of dash kit for the LS, I painted the big plastic bit on the dash recently (silver too, what a coincidence.... ;) ) I actually used Tamiya model paint! been on there for about 5 months now and still holding up fine, but i don't park my car in the sun much dunno how much that would affect it. i got a replacement plastic bit from the wreckers- freebie cos i know the guy, so that if i didn't like it or broke something on removal i had a backup.

b16a_integra
27-06-2004, 08:48 PM
dont forget to use some wax and grease remover before painting.....

Boost Cruisin
27-06-2004, 09:59 PM
yea i'll get some prepsol onto it

imminent_
28-06-2004, 05:46 PM
i did the same - just used some cheap n nasty spray paint from home hardware.. looks great, but if you rub it with your finger it'll come off slowly .. i figure using ESL or some kind of base will stop that problem.

as for the dash - you can buy the moulded backing that goes around your dials.. i found it for $40 - thought it was too much for a simple cut piece of silver plastic...

if you manage (or anyone else knows, how) to easily get off the center console and the drivers side air vent with the sunroof control, let me know.. as i can't figure it out :(

mooshie
30-06-2004, 05:59 PM
imminent- check on g2ic.com do a search of the forums or look in the teg tips i'm sure i saw something like a detailed description of the process somewhere on the site.

imminent_
30-06-2004, 08:15 PM
cheers for that. will link if i can find it

tegboy
12-07-2004, 12:30 AM
i want to paint my dash in silver ie the parts around the instrument cluster, aircon controls etc.. and the vent covers

is itbests to use the spray can stuff that u buy from superchea or autobarn?

or to use 2pac?

thjanks

I have a 2-pac painted cluster surround, the black panel around the air-condition, the left hand vent... the door plastics and window switches were silver but they have been repainted black... but the 2 pack silver is still underneath.

I am trying to find all the factory bits to put it back to standard... the dash is in average condition, but the cluster is perfect and the vent is in great condition

tegboy
12-07-2004, 12:33 AM
i got a replacement plastic bit from the wreckers- freebie cos i know the guy, so that if i didn't like it or broke something on removal i had a backup.

Do you want to sell it?? I cannot find any of them here in Victoria for sale

EG_2_TEG
12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
either that or where can i get one of those aluminium dash kits for an LS integra?

ModYourCar sells them, but not for an LS
but give Dan an email and he may be able to hook you up with one

here's the link to the Dash kits
http://www.modyourcar.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_32

mooshie
14-07-2004, 05:44 PM
sorry tegboy but i wouldn't sell it you never know could come in handy one day. surely you have a honda wreckers somewhere you can go to? for a bit like that it should be easy to find off just about any wrecked gen 2, I wouldn't think there would be a huge demand for them?.. good luck!

vtecinaccord
21-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Dont bother take them all out and go to a panel beater and get them sprayed in 2 pac with a few coats of clear, then it is durable and willnot chip or anything... do it right or dont do it

bumthology
22-07-2004, 02:41 AM
dont paint ur dash, they always end up looking crap
heeh

Boost Cruisin
22-07-2004, 10:29 PM
if i paint the vents and stuff will i still be able to run the heater thru them??? or will it melt the paint

imminent_
23-07-2004, 12:01 AM
nup, it drips paint everywhere. If you've got it high enough, it'll even spray paint via the heater onto your upholstery - then it's impossible to get off.

vtecinaccord
23-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Dont paint the little slits in the vents you can unclip the slits when the whole vent assembly comes out...