PDA

View Full Version : Injectors Ticking?

Redteg
10-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Guys, my 13 year old B18A1 suffers from a ticking noise within the engine bay. Originally I thought it was the valves needing adjusting, but after measuring the clearances I found them to be within spec. Using a trusty screwdriver I listened in to the injectors and I think they are the cause of the god awful sound.

...Lets just say that I get to come to a meet, you'll hear me from around the corner.

Can I have a show of hands if anyone is experiencing or has experienced the same thing? I hear that our injectors are notorious for being loud. It has been suggested to me that I need to have the o-rings replaced. I will either do this or just swap newer ones in.

What does everyone think?

bennjamin
10-10-2003, 02:14 AM
hmm...sounds just plain normal for a decade + year old engine...just tappet noise ( from worn bearings, cams etc...) Only way to really " stop " teh noise is to replace whatever its coming from. Although, the noise isnt such a bad thing .

For example my 10 year old D16a8 powered Si hatch has a ticking noise with idle too...and sounds just plain horrible upon startup on a nice cold morning - but rest assured is quite normal and isnt a problem.

Your inquisitve search is true too - most honda injectors are loud - but im sure a injector full service should relube and clean out any deposits...increasing flow and possibly decreasing noise.

With O rings...u mean spark plug O rings ? (rubber seal grommet surrounding each sparkplug) ???

Just my 2c 8)

Redteg
10-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your reply bennjamin; I put the ticking down to old age too but it seems to only come from the injector area. Lets hope the rest of the engine is good; the head's internals look brand new, and it isn't using up any of its 5W-40.

The o-rings I speak of seal the injectors into both the fuel rail and the intake manifold, and in Chapter 11, page 108 of my Integra Helms manual it says the seals both "seal" the injector as well as reducing operating noise. How much noise they can seal out we shall see.

Hmm, this seems like a job for Hanny's! I don't want to break anything.

bennjamin
10-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey hope i could help if at all ! And yeah- its really importat for a "inside job " like this that u really dont resort to the Helms manual - most things mechanically we can do ourself but i think Robert at Hannys give us that extra edge of insurance LOL ... But seriosuly, Rob wil fix it up all nice and proper !

Im sure replacing these ( they cost about $9 each from honda) woudl do something...as ofcourse rubber perforates over time !

BTW...where did u score ur Helms from ??? It must be me but i can seem to find them anywhere (from my car)....

Catch ya around , Ben 8)

Redteg
10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Ye I'd give it a go, the injectors are just a pressure fit both in the rail and manifold, but things can go wrong, and when they do, I pay!

As for my helms, some guy in the states made the whole thing a bunch of PDF files...

There was a place around Kingsgrove I hear that used to stock them, or something similar

SiNH
20-10-2003, 10:47 AM
WTF you are using 5-40W oil in a 10 year old car?? bad move dude, this is why you are getting noisy tappets noise, if its not your injector pulsing.

You should be using 20-50W or 10-60W in your engine since its pretty old and loose by now.

If its tappet noise you would hear the sound going away after its at normal operating temperature.

If you've recently been using the 5-40W and the noise has recently come about then this may be the problem, the oil is too thin to lubricate the tappets and if you hammered the car too often you may have bent the rods thus causing the ticking.

Try going back to using a thicker oil and see if that remedies the problem abit, cause the tappets or piston slaps shouldnt be audiable when car is warm and internals lubricated.

If it is injector pulse then this is unfortunately something you cant fix without replacing it, my injectors has a loud ticking when I hammer the poor girl but that was evident since new so Im not worried.

If yours is recent then Im more inclined it to be tappets/piston slap.

wynode
20-10-2003, 01:08 PM
5-40W <-- Mobile 1 I take it?

I use that on my 10 year old D16A8 too and its fine. In fact most Hondas use this oil. IN FACT Robert at Hanny's uses this oil on all the Hondas the come in there.

Back on topic. The sound sounds like your injectors. Mine are also quite noisey but its not something to worry about. If the noise is still there when the car warms up, it most probably IS your injectors.

Redteg
20-10-2003, 01:44 PM
SiNH: Thanks for your ideas. The engine has 170,000 k's on it but goes great; only oil it loses is from an old cam seal plug which needs replacing. I am sure that a thicker weight oil would quieten it down a bit, but for now I should be right. My theory is thinner oil moves around the engine quicker at startup, minimising wear. I don't belt the car around or do alot of city driving, and i regularly change the oil, so I hope i'm doing it right. I was considering going for slightly thicker oil for the summer but I dont really think its all that necessary. Please contribute your own suggestions to this.

Since its a sound that does not go away once the engine warms, I shall see what the guys at Hanny's can do about it. I hope that replacing the o-rings can solve my tick-tick-ticking!

Thanks for all your help!

Setanta
20-10-2003, 03:19 PM
WTF you are using 5-40W oil in a 10 year old car?? bad move dude, this is why you are getting noisy tappets noise, if its not your injector pulsing.

You should be using 20-50W or 10-60W in your engine since its pretty old and loose by now.

WTF

I use it in my B16A that is 14 years old and it's still running strong on Mobil 1 5-40 at 254.000kms - please to get off the crack :?

Robbie @ Hanny's recommends sticking with the 5-40 - guess what I'm going to do :P

I have the same issue - injectors ticking (and it IS the injectors) as well as some valve noisse - the valves I can live with but I'm just going to replace the injectors :)

SiNH
20-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Alright alright my bad.

If you have been using 5-40W since new then it should be OK to stick with it, however if you been using somethign like 10/60W or 15/50W and recently got sucked into the hype of Mobile 0-40W or 5/50W and wanted to try it then yeah this isnt a good idea.
Sorry to offend anyone, but with most cars as it gets older the more loose the internals are and they require thicker oil to lubricate between the friction.
It may be OK for a new car to use 5-40W when new when the car still has tight tolerences but wear and tear happens to all cars.
Anyways Im just trying to help out the guy, just something he can try to troubleshoot his probs.

2ds
20-10-2003, 05:55 PM
SOunds like a problem I had, took my car in and had my tappits realigned. sound went away and hasn't come back.

-2ds