PDA

View Full Version : shopping list of small problems

rnbguy
26-03-2007, 01:17 AM
i have a few small problems with my civic which id like to fix to make it feel more new :P

not sure if these are easy to fix or are related:

1) passenger window winds up slow during rainy day
solution: graphite powder (not sure how well this will perform on rainy day, can anyone confirm)

2) when indicating it doesnt turn itself off i have to manually turn indicators off

3) windscreen wipers (front and back) dont come on automatically when i pull the lever to spray water on windscreen (hope this makes sense)

4) passenger side door doesnt unlock with remote central locking, butttt will unlock if i lock driver door and unlock it again (and drive door does unlock with remote central locking)

if you guys think i should start another thread for each question let me know ...

hope you can help thanx :)

aznpsuazn
26-03-2007, 08:32 AM
1. i think most people use silicon spray or something on the rubber lining.

2. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel fitted? The boss kit could be the incorrect one. This is a common cause.

3. Dont know

4. Has it always been like that? Sounds like a safety feature, not to unlock all doors at once so that somebody hiding on the other side of your car can't jack you. Sometimes the system will need to be pressed twice for all doors to unlock. Either that or its broken.

rnbguy
26-03-2007, 09:05 AM
yeah i get ya... i mite look into reading about the alarm it could be a safety issue ur right...

ive read silicon spray collects dirt after a while from previous posts...

nah its a normal wheel, i bought this car 1 week ago..

Boban
26-03-2007, 07:17 PM
1) lube up the rubber seals with something (i haven't used graphite powder, but most common one is silicone spray, gives it a bit of vtakkkk to go up faster:p)

2) pull off your steering wheel. On the back of the wheel, where it slides on the shaft there are 2 holes, make sure that the plastic thing (look like 2 little rods on opposite ends on a plastic ring) go into the hole. I've taken off many steering wheels and forget to line them up again so i've had to take them off again, so annoying.

3) only thing i can think of is maybe a rooted solenoid, i have no idea if that is the problem and if so where the solenoid might be

4) I'm assuming you're talking about remote central locking, IE when you unlock the car with the remote it unlocks only the drivers door???? and if you unlock it with the key it unlocks both????
Maybe a safety feature or maybe they just dodgy wiring, if they were lazy they wired up only one door. If it locks both doors than it's most likely a safety feature. What happens when you press unlock twice??

mrwillz
26-03-2007, 08:21 PM
my wipers dont automatically go on wen i use spray (front)

Bayani
26-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Are they meant to?

[ricer]
26-03-2007, 08:58 PM
1) graphite powder is much better then silicon spray
i used it once since i bought the car. put some on ur finger and rub it along the track
2) my old car had a similar problem, ended up buying a new stalk from the wrecker, was only $30
3) could be part of the stalk problem too... dodgy wiring?
sounds like a relay or something controls the wiper after the water comes out a bit.
4) not sure... my mums car unlocks all doors but 1, the motor was rooted, ur motor sounds ok though. if you dont have an alarm get one and get them to fix ur locking problem while as it

silver_screen
26-03-2007, 09:17 PM
1. Graphite powder
2. changing the stalk has nothing to do with the indicators turnin off on their own. The clock spring does that. Its behind the steering wheel... it maybe a white ring looking plastic with lil springs.. if its broken it wont return. no biggie
3. Theyre not meant to. mine dont either (ed civic) and neither does my fiances (eg civic) or my mates ek civic.
4. sounds like wiring :)

shadou
26-03-2007, 11:12 PM
1.Silicon spray or graphite, either one put some on both sides of the run channel and operate a few times so it gets fully lubed. I use silicon spray only for the convience :D comes with a straw extention FTW!!
2.No idea :p
3.civic wipers don't automatically engage when you spray the windscreen, I think only the 2001> models do though.
4.wiring imo, had a similar problem with my viper the passenger side rarely operated with the remote so I pulled off the trim and found wires were a bit loose. duct tape :D

Boban
27-03-2007, 08:24 AM
on my egg the wipers come on when i spray the windshield. I have a sedan-so no rear wiper but when you spray it, the water comes out and than the wipers come on

rnbguy
27-03-2007, 12:04 PM
yeah i was pretty sure the wipers are supposed to come on, i thought this was standard in all cars these days... could be wrong

okay ill use graphite powder...

with the locks i guess ill leave it bcuz too much dicking around, i guess il just get in the car and reach over... presing it twice sets off the panic alarm or holding it down does the same too..

remove steering wheel hmmm ur most likely right just dont know how hard that is.. mite have to look into it...

shadou
27-03-2007, 02:32 PM
dude no dicking around for checking wiring, just take off the passenger door trim and should be 2 sets of wires (1 for speakers and other set for central locking) tighten and should be all good. Takes like 5 minutes

rnbguy
27-03-2007, 02:44 PM
uve convinced me :) ill give it a go thanx

silver_screen
29-03-2007, 08:29 PM
as for the steering wheel.. its not hard. im my line of work, i reckon ive taken off 1000's of steering wheels... theres usually 2-3 screws holding the plastic covers (u may not even have covers) and theres 1 big nut in the middle of the wheel... theres probably another 3 screws that hold the horn or middle bit of the steering.. that have either a power wire with the ground being directly on the steering shaft.. or it'll have both wires :) its fairly simple

Shitscared
29-03-2007, 08:46 PM
On my EG sedan you pull back on the wiper stalk it sprays water. pull down on it and it wipes.

rnbguy
29-03-2007, 09:35 PM
sweet ill give it ago with the steering wheel... and looks like the wipers not comming on automatically is normal...

i think i figured it out with the alarm, the problem seems to be that from the inside of the drivers door, to activate the lock you need to really swing fast and put pressure on the lock, sounds like something might not be right, obviously when i hit the remote lock botton it doesnt have enough pressure to lock the driver door... (which in fact would lock the other one)

so my problem now is why is the driver door lock so difficult to "lock"

Boban
29-03-2007, 09:50 PM
on my eg you can't lock the drivers door if it is open
the other ones can be locked but the drivers one will lock only if the door is closed

rnbguy
29-03-2007, 10:42 PM
i know, this happens when i try lock it while im inside the car and the door is closed

silver_screen
31-03-2007, 09:25 AM
that also happened to me.. right before the lock fell into the car hahah

i suggest that u remove the door trim and look @ the lock and the rods to see what is happening when u move it.. see if its gettin caught anywhere, or if its had a bend in the wrong place :)