PDA

View Full Version : s2k with nsx engine

madella
26-03-2007, 03:33 PM
it sound a bit crazy but is it possible to put an nsx engine into a s2000?

Spicey
26-03-2007, 05:08 PM
yep! never seen it done though!

Anything is possible with enough $$$

flipstar
26-03-2007, 06:07 PM
yep i once saw a supra engine in a s2k i was in shock no justice 2 vtec but if that could happen nsx engine would be off tap

BRU51N
26-03-2007, 06:34 PM
nsx's engines are mid mounted and is rear wheel drive. if u were to put it in an s2000 which is FR it just wont work.. i suppose if u did heaps of custom work you'd get it to work.

with that amount of money your better off doing another project.

i did however read up on some project conversion awhile back, the nsx was transplanted in the 99 accord coupe (in the U.S)

datzlr
26-03-2007, 06:47 PM
hahahahahaha

WhiteAP1
26-03-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah but what if the vtec yo' fell off the nsx engine, and u put it in the the s2000,then got the vtec from the s2000 and made it front wheel drive,and then we cruized to maccas and got like big macs and shit, and then we all just started posting stupid shit and made this forum full of useless noob questions...would it fit then, and if it did, would it beat my mates cousins WRX coz he reckons he beat a lambo on chaple st????

aaronng
26-03-2007, 07:43 PM
The NSX engine is mounted traversely. That's why it fits into something like the Accord. The S2k's engine bay was designed to have the engine mounted longitudinally. So you won't be able fit the engine without needing to cut through some chassis metal.

chicken8
26-03-2007, 08:12 PM
we all know chassis metal is useless anyways

i say cut it

STI_WRX
26-03-2007, 08:30 PM
why? are you going to do it?

didnt think so

ECU-MAN
26-03-2007, 10:37 PM
just coz the engine is mid mounted in nsx doesnt mean it cant be done, think beyond the sqaure,

I know its not the same but here are some pics of an eg with a ledgend engine in it.

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v63.jpg

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v62.jpg

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v61.jpg

as mentioned above, with the right budget, anything is posible

aaronng
26-03-2007, 10:42 PM
just coz the engine is mid mounted in nsx doesnt mean it cant be done, think beyond the sqaure,

I know its not the same but here are some pics of an eg with a ledgend engine in it.

[IMG]http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v63.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v62.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/eg-v61.jpg[IMG]

as mentioned above, with the right budget, anything is posible
I see custom subframes. I think the only thing EG about that is the top shell. It is even RWD! Hehe.

ECU-MAN
26-03-2007, 10:44 PM
....:)......

Mr_will
26-03-2007, 11:27 PM
that is tittyfarkin awesome. any more pics/info?

Zdster
27-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Can one of you guys explain what we are seeing in the second picture a bit more clearly to me? I see the axles, new subframe, 'lca' but still abit confused on the setup.

aaronng
27-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Can one of you guys explain what we are seeing in the second picture a bit more clearly to me? I see the axles, new subframe, 'lca' but still abit confused on the setup.

Silver bit is the transmission. And that pic is of the rear (look at where the exhaust piping comes from). So this EG is a Legend-powered RWD monster.

Zdster
27-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Silver bit is the transmission. And that pic is of the rear (look at where the exhaust piping comes from). So this EG is a Legend-powered RWD monster.

Ah starting to get it. So the drivetrain shaft (that connects the engine to the transmission) is out of sight, somewhere above the transmission and the exhaust?

ECU-MAN
27-03-2007, 09:16 AM
the tail shaft in this case would turn at engine RPM, not road speed. Its connecting the engine to the gearbox.

I dont think that that would be a real good idea for durability and reliablity, but who knows, it looks like fun :)

Zdster
27-03-2007, 09:19 AM
the tail shaft in this case would turn at engine RPM, not road speed. Its connecting the engine to the gearbox.

I dont think that that would be a real good idea for durability and reliablity, but who knows, it looks like fun :)

Is the tailshaft visable in any of the pics? Also, how can you tell that it would turn on RPM's as aposed to the road?

aaronng
27-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Is the tailshaft visable in any of the pics? Also, how can you tell that it would turn on RPM's as aposed to the road?

Because the gearbox is at the end of the tailshaft. Since the gearbox is the part that changes the rotational ratio, that means everything before the gearbox is spinning at engine RPM.

Zdster
27-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Because the gearbox is at the end of the tailshaft. Since the gearbox is the part that changes the rotational ratio, that means everything before the gearbox is spinning at engine RPM.

So am I correct in saying that if the gearbox is not at the end of the tailshaft then there is a box that changes the direction of the shaft (has three cogs in the box - is that what they refer to as a differential?) so that the wheels receive power?

Spicey
27-03-2007, 11:16 AM
So am I correct in saying that if the gearbox is not at the end of the tailshaft then there is a box that changes the direction of the shaft (has three cogs in the box - is that what they refer to as a differential?) so that the wheels receive power?

Exactly! and the unit pictured in the EG is usually reffered to as a "Transaxle" as it has the Transmission and axle/diff in the one unit. Despite how strange it looks there are a few cars out there that are front engined, rear trans/diff, the most popular is the Corvette (some Ferrari's have them too) It is usually done for weight distribution.

Zdster
27-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Exactly! and the unit pictured in the EG is usually reffered to as a "Transaxle" as it has the Transmission and axle/diff in the one unit. Despite how strange it looks there are a few cars out there that are front engined, rear trans/diff, the most popular is the Corvette (some Ferrari's have them too) It is usually done for weight distribution.

You wouldnt happen to have a cutout/cross-section picture of a 'transaxle' setup would you. Having trouble trying to figure out how it all works in one box.

Spicey
27-03-2007, 11:44 AM
You wouldnt happen to have a cutout/cross-section picture of a 'transaxle' setup would you. Having trouble trying to figure out how it all works in one box.

This is the best one I could find by doing a quick search
http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/Tech_images/images/PV__015810__.jpg

As you can see the tailshaft is joined directly to the rear of the engine and then goes into the front of the gearbox/differential assembly, where the power is distributed to the wheels, ill keep looking of a better pic.

are you familiar with other driveline setups? like front wheel drives etc???

Zdster
27-03-2007, 11:46 AM
This is the best one I could find by doing a quick search

As you can see the tailshaft is joined directly to the rear of the engine and then goes into the front of the gearbox/differential assembly, where the power is distributed to the wheels, ill keep looking of a better pic.

are you familiar with other driveline setups? like front wheel drives etc???

I have a bit of an idea about other setups. Thanks for the lesson though :).

Spicey
27-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a bit of an idea about other setups. Thanks for the lesson though :).

Anytime! ;) Ill keep looking for a better pic, its pretty interesting stuff!

Spicey
27-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Here is a link to a bigger pic of the one I posted you can make it all out pretty well (after you click on the pic) http://www.4tuning.ro/wallpaper_gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=3&pos=-2288

:thumbsup:

Zdster
27-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Here is a link to a bigger pic of the one I posted you can make it all out pretty well (after you click on the pic) http://www.4tuning.ro/wallpaper_gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=3&pos=-2288

:thumbsup:

Found this and thought it was very interesting.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1302716.html?page=2

I am confused now though. Looking through that link does that mean that all front wheel drive cars are also transaxle?

Spicey
27-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Yep, as they have the Transmission and axle (differential) in the one unit!

The only difference between a normal front wheel drive transaxle and the EG pictured earlier is where the unit is mounted and where the drive exits the unit.

Zdster
27-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Yep, as they have the Transmission and axle (differential) in the one unit!

The only difference between a normal front wheel drive transaxle and the EG pictured earlier is where the unit is mounted and where the drive exits the unit.

So is the transaxle unit pictured on the eg a stock legend transmission/diff. or is that a special unit?

Since normally in a front wheel drive car the transmission bolts straight onto the engine, do you need special 'transmission mounts' to hold the unit or does the different subframe do the job?

panda[cRx]
27-03-2007, 02:02 PM
there was as crx in the states with an nsx engine in the rear.

anything can be done with money. have a look on hondatech at the project gemini del sol, it has twin turbo h22a's the last time i checked (has been an ongoing project for a while)

Spicey
27-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Nope, I reckon the Transaxle in the EG would be from a mid engined Porsche/VW/Ferrari thing so the drive goes at a 90 degree angle to the tailshaft (comes out the side of the unit), if it was the standard Legend transaxle the drive would be heading in the same direction as the tailshaft (out the back and front of the unit)

Think of it this way:

normal FWD -

......................Engine
Wheel-----------Transaxle---------Wheel

Normal RWD -

........................Engine
....................Transmission
............................I
Wheel----------Differential---------Wheel

That EG and Corvette (rear transaxle) -

........................Engine
Wheel----------Transaxle---------Wheel

(ignore the dots, when I post it deletes my spaces!) :p

hehe, hope this makes it clearer!? :thumbsup:

Spicey
27-03-2007, 02:21 PM
looks about as clear as mud!?

lol!

aaronng
27-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Nope, I reckon the Transaxle in the EG would be from a mid engined Porsche/VW/Ferrari thing so the drive goes at a 90 degree angle to the tailshaft (comes out the side of the unit), if it was the standard Legend transaxle the drive would be heading in the same direction as the tailshaft (out the back and front of the unit)

Depends. There was 1 generation of Legend that had the engine mounted longitudinally while still being FWD (transaxle was perpendicular to the crankshaft).

Zdster
27-03-2007, 02:59 PM
looks about as clear as mud!?

lol!

I get it. Does make sense to me. For those that didnt get it (and want to learn) read the link that I posted and then come back to those pics (just ignore all the dots on the left that have spaced it out).

Zdster
27-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Depends. There was 1 generation of Legend that had the engine mounted longitudinally while still being FWD (transaxle was perpendicular to the crankshaft).

Is there any benefit to having the transaxle mounted longitudinally or otherwise other than fitting space requirements and the direction in which the drive comes out?

Spicey
27-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Ah yes! like some Audis!

No real advantage to it though, thats why no manufacturers do it much anymore.

aaronng
27-03-2007, 03:37 PM
^^ yeah, I guess Honda tried it once and then gave up on it, going back to traverse mounting.

ECU-MAN
27-03-2007, 11:18 PM
here is a pic of inside a prelude box.

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/H023.jpg

aaronng
28-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow, those helical gears are chunkier than an S2k's!

Zdster
28-03-2007, 08:19 AM
here is a pic of inside a prelude box.

Can you run us through what we are looking at? I take it the left hand side is the transmission and the right is the 'diff.'?

ECU-MAN
28-03-2007, 08:39 AM
yep,

on the left most shaft, is the input shaft. ISB bearing sits under there, then on the input shaft moving up is 1st gear, then reverse ( straight cut gear ) then 2nd gear, 3rd gear then 3/4 syncro. then 5th gear and 5th syncro and then another bearing.

then the counter shaft.

on the bottom is a bearing,then the final drive pinion gear that connects to the ring gear of the diff. then 1st gear, then reverse gear 1/2nd reverse syncro, 1way dog clutch then 2nd gear. then 3dr gear, 4th gear and 5th gear. then two bearing.

on the very bottom of the counter shaft is a thrust shim.

most right is the final drive. ( not realy called the diff. ) the ring gear is the big gear on it and under it is the 4 spider gears that is the differential ( this is the part where LSD are fitted.

infront of all the shafts is the gear selection rods and interlock mechanisms. on the top of the two most right shafts are 3 notches, these are called detents. a spring pushes a ball bearing into a slot ( from the gearbox housing ) and it lockes the gear into place

not shown in the above pic is the revers gear and revers lockout plate ( so you cant go from 5th to reverse. )

Zdster
28-03-2007, 10:43 AM
most right is the final drive. ( not realy called the diff. ) the ring gear is the big gear on it and under it is the 4 spider gears that is the differential ( this is the part where LSD are fitted.

What is the purpose of the 'final drive' as apposed to the differential? Am I right in saying that a shaft runs through the middle of the differential and final drive and becomes your output shaft and therefore powering the wheels?

Spicey
28-03-2007, 11:05 AM
What is the purpose of the 'final drive' as apposed to the differential? Am I right in saying that a shaft runs through the middle of the differential and final drive and becomes your output shaft and therefore powering the wheels?

Pretty much, its a little more technical than a shaft running through the middle of the diff though (unless you have a welded diff or mini-spool etc).

As a vehicle turns, the inside wheel turns slower than the outside, so there needs to be something that allows one drive shaft to turn at a different speed to the other while still getting drive from the engine.

Enter, "The Differential" http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Blulude98
28-03-2007, 09:12 PM
yeah but what if the vtec yo' fell off the nsx engine, and u put it in the the s2000,then got the vtec from the s2000 and made it front wheel drive,and then we cruized to maccas and got like big macs and shit, and then we all just started posting stupid shit and made this forum full of useless noob questions...would it fit then, and if it did, would it beat my mates cousins WRX coz he reckons he beat a lambo on chaple st????

HAHAHA!!!!!

TECBOY
28-03-2007, 10:02 PM
its possible man
my brother had this done to his s2000. He still hasnt told me how much it was....i think he is embarassed to tell me. I hardly see him coz he lives in qld but i still remember how hard the car went. quite scary

ROLLED
01-04-2007, 02:13 PM
why don't you get him a post up a photo of the transplant? I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT...

ludecrs
01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
BOWROFL

Dumbest thread I've ever read.

ECU-MAN tried to save the thread with some great technical stuff, but the thread was already farked after the thread creator's retarded idea.

Bludger
20-04-2007, 05:18 PM
BOWROFL

Dumbest thread I've ever read.

ECU-MAN tried to save the thread with some great technical stuff, but the thread was already farked after the thread creator's retarded idea.

i second that

Spicey
20-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Bah, me for one think its good to see some originality in modifying! If you have the tools, the money and the brains to take on a project like that good on em!

This is the disappointing thing about "modifiers" nowadays, if you can't bolt it on its not considered!

Wild engine conversions are around! A few weekends ago I was a Simmons Plains helping out a mate with his track car and a young bloke turned up with an X3 Excel, canary yellow, widebody kit and huuuuugggeee rear wing. I went up to the car for a closer look and he had mid mounted a Holden 186 and converted it to rear wheel drive! Now thats ingenuity! somebody who has slaved over a welder and grinder to modify his car instead of a book filled with aftermarket parts! Dont get me wrong, I have had an EK Civic with all the bolt on stuff and currently drive an 05 Civic sedan with Teins etc, but you need to appreciate the effort that goes into these full custom cars!

AusS2000
20-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I love seriously engineered mods too and have little respect for bolt ons. My dream is to mod a CRX with a mid-mount set up from an Accord or similar.

But like the poster I doubt it will ever happen. It's just dreams on paper.

Spicey
26-04-2007, 03:22 PM
VVV unique, would sound pretty unreal!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/04/09/fernissan/

turtleEK1
26-04-2007, 05:18 PM
that RWD converted EG was also boosted!! but a hella ugly bodykit...

:thumbsup: to highly engineered swaps! don't know if it works till you try!! if it wasn't for all these people trying to design mounts for different swaps, we wouldn't have 'bolt in' swaps that we have today!

i remember in Zoom years ago seeing a MX5 with a built 2JZ in it... extremely tight fit! cut into firewall and had to also remove fenders to access parts of the motor... but shit it went!

Vinnie
26-04-2007, 06:11 PM
i have a poster on my wall of a '55 chev coupe with a 3000hp rolls royce merlin v12 (from a spitfire in WWII) engine in it. beat THAT for originality! :p

and its road registered...

EfiOz
01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
A customer of mine from the Deep South

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/projects/

He calls it a Ferrambo
http://www.diversstreetrods.com/projects/currentbuilds/Rambler/mini-FR-21.JPG
http://www.diversstreetrods.com/projects/currentbuilds/Rambler/mini-FR08.JPG
http://www.diversstreetrods.com/projects/currentbuilds/Rambler/mini-FR07.JPG

2001 Ferrari 360 Modena running gear under a 1955 Rambler wagon body

Spicey
02-05-2007, 07:44 AM
^^^ THAT IS OFF THE SHOW!!!!

I would love to hear something like that travelling down the road! :)