PDA

View Full Version : clutchs .....

powerofdream
26-03-2007, 11:38 PM
lookin 4 clutch 4 my stock s2ki........there r so many brand and stlays on the market.....which should i take??? :confused: :confused:

shadou
27-03-2007, 12:23 AM
stock :p
everyone seems to go Exedy clutches now-a-days

ludecrs
27-03-2007, 06:34 AM
By what I've read, te Exidy is very stiff and not recommnded for daily driving for an S2K.

OEM is your best bet.

www.s2ki.com search function. Learn to use it, and you will love it.

TODA AU
29-03-2007, 11:28 AM
FWIW, all aftermarket clutches that use the std style of cover use the OEM clutch cover & release bearing on the S2000 as HONDA has a patent on it.
Exedy do not manufacture a std repalcement clutch for the S2000 for use with the std flywheel or replacement aftermarket flywheel such as TODA.

Both TODA & Exedy have sports organic type clutch discs available for use with the std cover & or TODA lightweight flywheel.
The OEM cover must still be used along with OEM release bearing.

Other companies such as Extreem Clutch claim to modify the OEM cover with their clutch kits.
Though they are delivered in an unopened OEM bag.

The only true aftermarket clutched available are Hi Power single types & twin plates etc that come with an alternative flywheel & clutch cover design.
Some still use the OEM release bearing.
Others such as OS Giken, use an intricate change mechanism to convert the clutch type from pull to push.

If you're after a clutch, get you quotes from Honda & various other places, then send us an email.
Chances are we can do better.
Cheers

Adrian

integrity
29-03-2007, 12:24 PM
oem the go

powerofdream
29-03-2007, 05:56 PM
i will go for a OEM !~ my s2k is 99 ,that is got buzzin from de clutch .
The bulltin from honda says get a improved clutch disk ....

my Q : do i need the improved clutch disk ONLY ??

destrukshn
29-03-2007, 07:02 PM
the improved one is the the clutch fromt he newer s2k's.
when you change your clutch, it is advised you change
*pressure plate
*friction plate
*release bearing

you have PM

powerofdream
30-03-2007, 05:57 PM
the improved one is the the clutch fromt he newer s2k's.
when you change your clutch, it is advised you change
*pressure plate
*friction plate
*release bearing

you have PM

u have pm

WhiteAP1
31-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I got the toda flywheel and full face disc combo, still using the OEM PP.....and i dont like it. Due to the entire package being a little smaller b/c of the thiner flywheel the pedal feel is very flimsy. Its only slightly stiffer than OEM. Also the friction point is right at the top of the pedals release and it doesnt bite as hard as i thought it would. Im going to now get the Exedy spots tuff heady duty disc and PP combo. The Toda flywheel is damn good i must say. Much better response.

If ure looking for a cheap Toda clutch disc with about 4,000 ks on it, 1000 of them with no Vtec, send me a PM. I also have a OEM disc still in excellent condition.

In regards to the clutch buzz, dont be so caught up on it, its a natural charateristic of the car, just like its screaming engine.

powerofdream
31-03-2007, 06:10 PM
i hate that clutch buzz,,,when the roof is up..... wat i can do is turn up music .......

ROLLED
01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
one way to cure clutch buzz, use the accelerator more!

powerofdream
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
u right !~ thats another way...hehe

TODA AU
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I got the toda flywheel and full face disc combo, still using the OEM PP.....and i dont like it. Due to the entire package being a little smaller b/c of the thiner flywheel the pedal feel is very flimsy. Its only slightly stiffer than OEM. Also the friction point is right at the top of the pedals release and it doesnt bite as hard as i thought it would. Im going to now get the Exedy spots tuff heady duty disc and PP combo. The Toda flywheel is damn good i must say. Much better response.

The pedal should feel identical to std as a std cover is used.
If the take up is toward the top of the pedal,
1st bleed the clutch lines properly,
2ndly adjust the pedal height.
If the problem persists it is likley there was an error in instalation.
The clucth should not feel different to standard in any way as flyhweel weight or inertia place no part in pedal feel.

Regarding Exedy,
As mentioned previously, Exedy also have an uprated disc.
The cover is the same as std however & genuine Honda.

4agte
03-04-2007, 02:19 AM
i was never a fan of the stock clutch in my 01 the hd exedy seems to bite nicley and is easy to use day to day not too much different to stock as stated above

WhiteAP1
07-04-2007, 06:18 PM
The pedal should feel identical to std as a std cover is used.
If the take up is toward the top of the pedal,
1st bleed the clutch lines properly,
2ndly adjust the pedal height.
If the problem persists it is likley there was an error in instalation.
The clucth should not feel different to standard in any way as flyhweel weight or inertia place no part in pedal feel.

Regarding Exedy,
As mentioned previously, Exedy also have an uprated disc.
The cover is the same as std however & genuine Honda.

I was under the impression that only the basic exedy kits used the same PP , is this to say the same PP is used throughout the entire exedy s2000 range??

Lines were bled upon install and during the following service. I was advised to adjust the master cylinder,but never did, how would the pedal height be adjusted?

TODA AU
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I was under the impression that only the basic exedy kits used the same PP , is this to say the same PP is used throughout the entire exedy s2000 range??

Lines were bled upon install and during the following service. I was advised to adjust the master cylinder,but never did, how would the pedal height be adjusted?

Not exactly.
The std replacement clutch is not sold by Exedy.
Both TODA & Exedy produce replacement organic friction discs.
The std cover is a patented design, it is not available as a copy.
There is no heavy duty clutch as such, it's an uprated disc.
The cover is still the OEM cover & not heavy duty.

Clutches such as TODA's Hi Power single & Exedy's Hyper Single use a different flywheel, disc & cover. Only the OEM release bearing is retained.

Regarding pedal height,
Adjusting the pedal height & the mastercylinder are one in the same.
The adjustment is accessed through the driver footwell.
If you're not familiar with the task, download the manual from Hondatech.com.au & have a read.
Failing that, have a licenced mechanic sort it out for you.
Cheers

Adrian

Dart
22-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Just reading the take up height issues

As the clutch disc wears the take up point moves away from the floor ( or towards the top of the peddel travel). This is self adjusting as it is a hydraulic system.
What I think is being experienced with the s2 Toda Flywheel is that the flywheel must be thinner thus moving the take up point towards the top of the peddel travel, giving the feeling the same as a worn clutch disc.

i have the the Toda High Power single and the take up point is very high ( same height as my worn standard disc) and savage on take off
Clutch installed by Honda ( so I hope they know how to install a clutch)
All that should be adjusted is the free travel of the clutch peddel and that will only be a small amount. (as per manual)
Changing the clutch peddle height will leave the peddels miss aligned and being very weird to drive and reduce the clutch peddle travel. you would have the accelerator and brake peddels similar heights and the clutch would end up just of the floor to make it feel like the standard take up point.

amirul
22-03-2009, 10:11 PM
on average how much OEM clutch cost?

ludecrs
23-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Supercheap - $700
Honda - $1100

Plus installation costs.

IIRC.

<4n'D>
24-03-2009, 07:44 AM
just after clarification

exedy oem replacement and honda oem clutch are not the same thing?

do both come together with pressure plate etc? or are these sold separately?

which clutch can bed well with a aftermarket flywheel?

thanks guys

ludecrs
24-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Exedy OEM and Honda OEm are the same clutch.

Contain everything but the flywheel.

Both the same, so they both 'bed well' with aftermarket flywheel.

winkyc
24-03-2009, 10:46 AM
what about the ACT clutch?

ludecrs
24-03-2009, 10:58 AM
what about it? lol.

CONAN
24-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I know a dood that can will replace your S2K with an OEM Clutch inc labour for $1400. Drive in drive out. If thats a good price I can give you his contact. Sydney only.

<4n'D>
24-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Exedy OEM and Honda OEm are the same clutch.

Contain everything but the flywheel.

Both the same, so they both 'bed well' with aftermarket flywheel.

thats lude... actually i was pretty damn confused.

so exedy oem replacement clutch =/= same clutch used in exedy hyper single? I heard that hyper single dies quickly. unbelievably quickly... even with proper care. but both should cure clutch buzz?

thinking of getting an ACT prolite flywheel w/ oem clutch setup... cant beat chromoly flywheels... surprisingly, s2ki hasnt been too helpful about this matter.

DNTBLO_S2k
25-03-2009, 02:43 PM
i got the exceedy heavyduty and the friction point is very sensitive but u get us to it, tho everyday driving and yuoll miss the stock one...

F20C
26-03-2009, 04:40 PM
buy an exedy coushin button their fun lol.

F20C
27-03-2009, 03:00 AM
seeing as though we're speaking of clutches someone might be able to shed some light on my clutch issue again lol. ok, awhile back a few of you told me my pressure plate made it lighter and not as heavy as stock.. (speaking of the clutch pedal) now it was really soft at first.. kinda went on stiffened up just a tad not something drastically massive lol but still very soft compared to the stock one anyway.. its gone back to reallllllly soft again... im not slipping in gears and nothings making any weird noises.. so is it normal or..? maybe some clutch fluid? :S:S:S

winkyc
28-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I know a dood that can will replace your S2K with an OEM Clutch inc labour for $1400. Drive in drive out. If thats a good price I can give you his contact. Sydney only.

sent you pm. cheers.

winkyc
28-03-2009, 04:54 PM
what about it? lol.

ACT clutch any good?
i mean i bought ACT pp and just going for the rest of the parts oem.

thats all good yeh?

johnshakroo
03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
seeing as though we're speaking of clutches someone might be able to shed some light on my clutch issue again lol. ok, awhile back a few of you told me my pressure plate made it lighter and not as heavy as stock.. (speaking of the clutch pedal) now it was really soft at first.. kinda went on stiffened up just a tad not something drastically massive lol but still very soft compared to the stock one anyway.. its gone back to reallllllly soft again... im not slipping in gears and nothings making any weird noises.. so is it normal or..? maybe some clutch fluid? :S:S:S

hey bloke ur from the area, i fukd my clutch aswell, its on the way.. wut clutch did u end up buyin n howmuch?

F20C
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
yeah lol i seen you around :P , umm i got my aunty to call exedy and get them to make me a cushion button clutch.. it came with a lightened flywheel/pressure plate so the clutch is really light compared to the standard ones.. if i see you around when im parking again haha just check mine see the difference if you like it or not.. but i doknow exedy make heavy duty s2000 clutches also.

winkyc
30-04-2009, 06:12 PM
has the s2000 parts gone up or something/

i checked out for hannys cos ive got the free time to fix my clutch up
they charge me 500 bucks for the flywheel. wtf?

definitely for sure they said 300 bucks 3 months ago.

Age_S2000
30-04-2009, 06:41 PM
whos hannys and what do they do?

i just baught a Exedy Sports Tuff HD clutch cost me $817 :):)

can the flywheels be machined or do they need to be replaced?? :S:S:S

F20C wats the button clutch like in it :) and hows ur take off with the lightened flywheel??

winkyc
30-04-2009, 06:44 PM
there located in smithfield and only work on Honda cars.
heard they were pretty good

installation + parts = 1500
including flywheel = 300.

they must jacked up the price since i told them i have a ACT heavy duty clutch and just need the release bearing and OEM flywheel to be installed.

actually have a good mate of mine his father use to be a mechanic for like 15 years and said your able to machine them
but... i dunno. im sick of the clutch buzz and just want to change it altogether just to be sure it's gone for a while.

whos hannys and what do they do?

i just baught a Exedy Sports Tuff HD clutch cost me $817 :):)

can the flywheels be machined or do they need to be replaced?? :S:S:S

F20C wats the button clutch like in it :) and hows ur take off with the lightened flywheel??

F20C
01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Age its alot different to the stock clutch, when i first jumped in it when it got done, it was real touchy if you would like the friction point was TINY!, was nothing like the stock one. It took me a few sets of lights to find the point and actually be able to launch properly with it lol. I would either end up spinning, or almost stalling lol. But in the end worked out good i prefure it alot more then my stock one. Its abit more pleasing for your leg also, not liking pushing a brick lol.

The revving up with the lightened flywheel felt asif it was revving up faster some people said it was the same but thats from the passenger side lol.. actually driving it you can tell its revving up quicker.

vyets
01-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Flywheel has to be machined when you change your clutch. You can buy a new one or you can machine it which cost around $40 extra or they might do it for free. Also when you take off you flywheel its recommended you replace the flywheel bolts as well which can be bought from Honda. I still used the old ones on my old car didn't really run into problems but it's always better to be safe then sorry.

winkyc
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
so you can definitely just machine the flywheel?
no need for a replacement?

yeh. i rather be safe then sorry but if hannys charging me 500 for a flywheel.
thats abit extreme. lol

what about the release bearing?
will i need a new one for that or can the old one be used?

thanks for the advice.

Flywheel has to be machined when you change your clutch. You can buy a new one or you can machine it which cost around $40 extra or they might do it for free. Also when you take off you flywheel its recommended you replace the flywheel bolts as well which can be bought from Honda. I still used the old ones on my old car didn't really run into problems but it's always better to be safe then sorry.

F20C
01-05-2009, 01:01 PM
im pretty sure exedy's cluthces come with the flywheel also. like none of this two price thing, with the clutch being x amount and the flywheel being x mount..

markoJEK1
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Machine flywheel , no need for new one unless its cracked / damaged or in some cases undersize, guy machining it should tell you if he finds anything wrong with it.

Replace the release bearing while everything it already out.

Also look into replacing the pilot / spigot bearing. Not too sure on the S200 gearbox setup if they have one or not. If it does replace it.

vyets
01-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Most of the things you need will come in the clutch kit. Btw f20c not all clutch kits come with flywheels, only some and they do cost a whole lot more. They could always just include it and jack up the price

winkyc
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah i reckon because im bringing an oem disk plate and a pressure plate
they jacked up the price for the flywheel and release bearing.

but originally if i got the whole combo with them. they would just given me the 1500.

most likely i will see the dodgy and the guy will tell me the flywheel is damaged and just charge me an extra 500 for the flywheel =(

you guys know any good places to change clutches?

btw you know how everyone says the exedy is the make for OEM clutches for the s2000.
do you think getting an exedy flywheel and release bearing will match with the ACT KIT?

F20C
01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I just assumed.. mine was made from scratch lol so i wouldnt know about combo's deals and what not.

JAP-S2K
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
do you think getting an exedy flywheel and release bearing will match with the ACT KIT?

Technically should be fine, unless your kit specifies you must use X Brand of friction plate and pressure plate. IMO if you are going to do a replacement. Stick to just one brand, as most brands offer flywheels. You must also understand that when a workshop prices to do a full kit, they get a better price. So Hanny's raising the price for a supply of flywheel only, is normal. If you were to purchase every item individually, the cost of the full kit would be heaps more. Why not run a ACT lightened flywheel? It would match your kit then.:thumbsup:

Age_S2000
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
******** CAUTION *********

Check your Clutch Master Cylinders.......

i looked under my dash the other day to notice my clutch master cylinder leaking slightly.
these can be repaired by ZEDS Clutch and Brake in Sunshine VIC for $150 - 200approx or good luck finding one or getting one from honda for less then that lol

i still havnt put my clutch in.... im a mechanic too but i dunno weather to do it at home and take my time or rush it at work???????? Are they Easy to do???

JAP-S2K
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
i still havnt put my clutch in.... im a mechanic too but i dunno weather to do it at home and take my time or rush it at work???????? Are they Easy to do???

It's a pretty straight forward, hradest bit is bleeding the line. If you can clasify that as being hard.

Age_S2000
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
na its easy iv replaced my clutch fluid b4
its so easy on a hoist to bleed it lol

JAP-S2K
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Sad bit is, they usually start to leak after about 6 months or so. Not sure why they do? possibly a poor design. Does anyone know of an after market one, as i'm getting sick of constantly changing mine.

Age_S2000
09-05-2009, 10:41 AM
JAP they dont make an Aftermarket one that why im getting mine rebuilt (honned out, sleeved and new seals)

JAP-S2K
10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
JAP they dont make an Aftermarket one that why im getting mine rebuilt (honned out, sleeved and new seals)

Smart thing to do!:thumbsup: Rather than replacing it like a dumbarse all the time. I'll look into getting this done as i have two of them collecting dust in my garage.

NVD52K
13-05-2009, 09:07 PM
guys i have a toda clutch, and its worn out now although i like the toda fly wheel if i just buy a clutch for it and machine the fly wheel is it possible? cause hannys is charging me 1800 installed ! for oem although i like my toda fly wheel any help will be good thanks

F20C
14-05-2009, 04:39 AM
The flywheel has to fit perfectly with the clutch.. and assuming they would i couldnt see why not? I dont think their one peice parts. Correct me if im wrong though lol.

winkyc
14-05-2009, 09:36 AM
lol yeh they charging me 500 for an oem flywheel bcos ive got my own pressure plate and disk.
260 for the release bearing.

usually the price 1500 for the oem clutch kit and 300 extra for the flywheel. = 1800.

i believe you can machine the flywheel but all depends if its damaged or how thin it is..

should be changing my clutch with them too.

guys i have a toda clutch, and its worn out now although i like the toda fly wheel if i just buy a clutch for it and machine the fly wheel is it possible? cause hannys is charging me 1800 installed ! for oem although i like my toda fly wheel any help will be good thanks

NVD52K
17-05-2009, 11:41 PM
lol yeh they charging me 500 for an oem flywheel bcos ive got my own pressure plate and disk.
260 for the release bearing.

usually the price 1500 for the oem clutch kit and 300 extra for the flywheel. = 1800.

i believe you can machine the flywheel but all depends if its damaged or how thin it is..

should be changing my clutch with them too.

thats 1800 installed though

Dart
18-05-2009, 07:05 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-FIDANZA-FLYWHEEL-00-07-S2000-F20C-F22C_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q 3a2Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQ hashZitem518828368aQQitemZ350176687754QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the same clutch kit I just bought,,,I am sticking with stock clutch feel

vyets
18-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow that's an awesome price normally the fidanza flywheels go for that price alone :)
Fidanza = good stuff

Dart
18-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Wow that's an awesome price normally the fidanza flywheels go for that price alone :)
Fidanza = good stuff

:thumbsup: I thought it was a good deal ,,,spread the love

<4n'D>
24-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Fidanza = good stuff

if you want some stories about fidanza flywheels, i recommend you search s2ki for them.

Dart
24-05-2009, 05:29 PM
if you want some stories about fidanza flywheels, i recommend you search s2ki for them.

hey just read about them on s2k...old problem...they don't use rivites any more..this was the problem with their old version they are bolted together now..I would just check that the bolts are torqued to the correct spec before instalation..should be no problems,,,as there are bolts that hold flywheel to crank and pressure plate to flywheel these all can come loose if not torqued to correct specs.... and it was only one person with a problem from the search I did ,,the same guy came up multiple times in search

F20C
24-05-2009, 07:10 PM
theres a stock flywheel for sale with 4000km on it i think he said he wants 40 bucks for it no cracks or anything lol.. worth the buy? I dont need it but maybe someone here does?

WhiteAP1
24-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Yeah just another of the many common problems.

Quick question, wouldn't the labour and machining involved outweigh the cost of a new master cylinder? or does this promise you'll never need to change it again???

If so whats it costing you???

JAP-S2K
25-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Quick question, wouldn't the labour and machining involved outweigh the cost of a new master cylinder? or does this promise you'll never need to change it again???

More than likely, but it beats replacing it all the time. And it would always maintain a good pedal feel.

WhiteAP1
25-05-2009, 05:37 PM
But what the point of doing it if its gonna cost you 4 times as much and it only lasts twice as long?

Im still interested to know what the sleeving would do in terms of life span.

JAP-S2K
25-05-2009, 07:44 PM
To be honest i too am interested to know the price, i haven't got around to finding out yet. But i can't see it costing more than the price of a new clutch master cylinder. It would def be worth doing, as the factory ones start leaking after about 10K, even less if you don't use it as a daily driver. Getting it resleeved, if done properly with good tolerances should be much better than factory. I'll look into it over the next couple of days as mines leaking again.

F20C
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I cant remember if this was the thread with people speaking of the clutch master cylinder but.. i need some advise on this asap as i need to take it in if its it.

So before my clutch burned out (stock clutch came with the car installed) it was quite heavy. The first month or two i got my new one put in (cushion button exedy clutch) it was quite loose and i loved the feeling. So recently i've noticed it gets tight and loose randomly.. usually when i give it to the car at high revs like jumping on the freeway it loosens up abit.. But other then that its really tight like it used to be but with this sticky feeling behind the clutch pedal i've looked behind my clutch pedal and theres nothing there (no idea how to check if its leaking i just assumed if it was leaking it would be behind the clutch pedal) anyway any help would be great :D

JAP-S2K
06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I cant remember if this was the thread with people speaking of the clutch master cylinder but.. i need some advise on this asap as i need to take it in if its it.

So before my clutch burned out (stock clutch came with the car installed) it was quite heavy. The first month or two i got my new one put in (cushion button exedy clutch) it was quite loose and i loved the feeling. So recently i've noticed it gets tight and loose randomly.. usually when i give it to the car at high revs like jumping on the freeway it loosens up abit.. But other then that its really tight like it used to be but with this sticky feeling behind the clutch pedal i've looked behind my clutch pedal and theres nothing there (no idea how to check if its leaking i just assumed if it was leaking it would be behind the clutch pedal) anyway any help would be great :D

There are no inconsistences, either your clutch master cylinder is leaking, or it isn't. Don't look behind the pedal, look well above it, better still use your hand. If it's wet, replace your clutch master, if it's not, bleed your system. If bleeding didn't rectify the problem, take your car back to where you got your clutch installed and serve them a WTF! as apparently your's is a custom anyway.

Dart
07-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I had the same problem with a clutch..I think when the clutch was changed the splines were not greased properly which causes the clutch disc to bind on the splinds which are on the imput shaft.Cause the clutch disc moves on the splinds as you push on the clutch peddle. When I changed the clutch I used high temp grease and greased the splinds all is well now..

F20C
07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I am going to serve them with a WTF anyway lol. im taking it back next week sometime. and thanks dart ill make sure they look at that cause if they dont >:| epic rage lol.