PDA

View Full Version : Disconnect the battery

tron07
27-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Do you disconnect the car battery when you want to remove parts/stuffs from the car... like remove bumpers, door panel, seat, stereo, etc?? Just incase you trigger the air bag, etc?

Is it okay for Euro to remove the negetive battery terminal? I know some car like BMW and certain Nissans, you cannot simply remove the battery.

kid_dynamite
27-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you disconnect the car battery when you want to remove parts/stuffs from the car... like remove bumpers, door panel, seat, stereo, etc?? Just incase you trigger the air bag, etc?

Is it okay for Euro to remove the negetive battery terminal? I know some car like BMW and certain Nissans, you cannot simply remove the battery.

Rule of thumb, if you are unplugging anything electrical, remove the negative terminal. Stereo, most definitely.

Not sure what you mean that you cannot simply remove the battery on some Nissans. Never heard of that before?

Fr3aKi3
27-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Not sure what you mean that you cannot simply remove the battery on some Nissans. Never heard of that before?

On some cars, if the battery is removed the immobiliser activates. Plug the battery back in and the car is locked up, you can't start the engine. Need a code or flasher to reset things before you can get the car starting again.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 12:58 PM
on my 1996 CRX i unplug the battery when ever i touch anything electrical.

Saves blowin fuses and havin to search for them all day long. lol.

If i'm just removin the bumper or mechanical things it doesn't bother. me.

EuroDude
27-03-2007, 01:14 PM
The only time I disconnect the battery is when I change the fuel filter. Ive never had a problem otherwise, i.e. installing an Amp (simply connect the fuse last), installing a stereo, speakers, filters, brake pads, etc..

But in saying that, you should disconnect the battery when you do electrical work, just in case you short the 12v line to the chassis or something.

aaronng
27-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Disconnecting the battery would help those changing the cabin lights some frustration when they short it out. :)

But for the Euro, it's fine. The only thing you lose is your radio and audio settings as well as the ECU fuel trim history. For the 06, I think you lose your average fuel consumption number too.

tron07
27-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Cool.... then I can start fiddling already.....

Just worry that Euro might have some thing like what Fr3aKi3 mention.

The fuel consumption thingy, usually I will reset it after pumping petrol so it will go back to 0.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Do you need codes for OEM radios??

EuroDude
27-03-2007, 03:29 PM

For the new Honda's with the built-in radio/cd units, I dont think they have a code do they?
Not much point since they are non-standard and hard to remove, and usually crappy anyway lol

ps. For the Euro, you need to reinitialize the drivers power window auto function if you disconnect the battery. (all you do is wind it all teh way down then all the way up)

aaronng
27-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Not with the Euro.

aaronng
27-03-2007, 03:40 PM
ps. For the Euro, you need to reinitialize the drivers power window auto function if you disconnect the battery. (all you do is wind it all teh way down then all the way up)

That's how you do it (hold it down all the way + 3 seconds, hold it up all the way + 3 seconds), but so far I have found that my window auto up/down always works without needing a reset.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah i was just makin sure for others. my 2001 holden needs a bloody code. They don't tell you that in the manual tho. You gotta ring up and pay them for a 4 digit number!

aaronng
27-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah i was just makin sure for others. my 2001 holden needs a bloody code. They don't tell you that in the manual tho. You gotta ring up and pay them for a 4 digit number!

In the instructions for your headunit (together with the manual and service book), it tells you how to find your code and enter it. Had to do that with our Holden Astra after a caliper rebuild.

JasonGilholme
27-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah the code wasn't in there tho. it just told me how to enter it. Unless i was missin some paper work (i bought it second hand so you never know)

My sister worked for holden at the time and told me that they always get heaps of people askin the same question all the time. She got it for me for cheap :p

aaronng
27-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah the code wasn't in there tho. it just told me how to enter it. Unless i was missin some paper work (i bought it second hand so you never know)

My sister worked for holden at the time and told me that they always get heaps of people askin the same question all the time. She got it for me for cheap :p

The code was on a little tag that was in the PVC manual holder in our car.