PDA

View Full Version : what happens if i disconnect the heater hose from the IACV?

[ricer]
27-03-2007, 06:59 PM
what happens if i disconnect the 2 heater lines from the IACV and run the line straight to the block and bypass the valve altogether?

will the car just idle very high thinking that the car is cold?

will check light just come on?

will the car start?

if i run a hondata or similar ecu, can i make it work properly?

thankyou in advance

oppps this should be in noob forum... can a mod please move it?

ECU-MAN
27-03-2007, 11:38 PM
not realy a noob q

when you fit a Hondata IM heatsheild gasket they recomend bypassing coolant from the TB in the instruction manual. cant remember if it recomends bypassing the IACV.

if you bypass the coolant from it you can still run the IACV and it will still control engine RPM's, the ecu should not see a fault.

[ricer]
28-03-2007, 07:59 AM
so the iacv is not controlled by the coolant temperature?

tinkerbell
28-03-2007, 09:14 AM
;1116332']so the iacv is not controlled by the coolant temperature?

not if it is the IACV,

do you know what you are talking about? is the the one with a electrical connector - or the one without the electrical connector?

[ricer]
28-03-2007, 12:02 PM
i thought i the IACV was under the throttle body with the 2 hoses attached to it?
but seems as its not.

kyle
28-03-2007, 04:31 PM
*sigh

lol yes you can take those pipes out and join together to make a closed loop. FYI the the part we are talking about under the throttle body is for cold starting in freezing climates. The hot coolent keeps the TB freezing shut. But seeing that we live in australia where its unlikley to happen you should be ok. Maybe conect back up if you live in hobart, or at the top of kosiosco in winter.

kyle
28-03-2007, 04:33 PM
oh and ricer FYI

the actual IACV on the back of the intake manifold is controlled by coolent temprature.

[ricer]
28-03-2007, 06:03 PM
thanks kyle!

tinkerbell
29-03-2007, 10:10 AM
;1116532']i thought i the IACV was under the throttle body with the 2 hoses attached to it?
but seems as its not.

if you have an older gen engine then there is soemtimes a thing called a FITV under the throttle body, for example early B16A's...

it is a "Fast Idle Thermo Valve"

and has a wax pellet insert that slowly closes when the coolant heats up, it keeps the idle shlightly higher to aid in the warm-up sequence...

what engine do you have?

*sigh

lol yes you can take those pipes out and join together to make a closed loop. FYI the the part we are talking about under the throttle body is for cold starting in freezing climates. The hot coolent keeps the TB freezing shut.

depends - if it is simply the coolant connections, yes, but if it is the FITV that ricer is refering to then it might affect the idle (i.e. if you remove the coolant lines the idle will stay high as the wax pellet does not melt!)

the actual IACV on the back of the intake manifold is controlled by coolent temprature.

*sigh

not it is not, the IACV is controlled only by the ECU...

the coolant lines just there to keep it from freezing shut...

:thumbsup:

[ricer]
29-03-2007, 12:03 PM
my engine is a d16y4 in a civic EK1 tinkerbell
i dont think my car has the fitv valve
but then again there is a hole which i think should be closing but its not.
its the hole is at the bottom on the throttle body. when i take my intake pipe off its just before the butterfly at the bottom. it always sucks in air no matter if my car is cold or hot. but once i block it when the car is warmed up the car seems to idle where it should. any ideas?

kyle
29-03-2007, 03:26 PM
not it is not, the IACV is controlled only by the ECU...

the coolant lines just there to keep it from freezing shut...

:thumbdwn: yes it is, the ecu does control the IACV, but its the coolent temprature that tells the ecu how much it should open or close.

kyle
29-03-2007, 03:27 PM
depends - if it is simply the coolant connections, yes, but if it is the FITV that ricer is refering to then it might affect the idle (i.e. if you remove the coolant lines the idle will stay high as the wax pellet does not melt!)

The D16y4 is OBD2a and doesn't have a FITV.

tinkerbell
29-03-2007, 03:32 PM
:thumbdwn: yes it is, the ecu does control the IACV, but its the coolent temprature that tells the ecu how much it should open or close.

sorry, you will have to be a bit clearer,

are you saying the coolant lines on the IACV are the reference for the ECU to determine how much to open the IACV?

kyle
29-03-2007, 03:37 PM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9803/untitledxa5.jpg

Now there is only a few reasons why an IACV wont shut.

1. because it's fooked
2. because the ecu is telling it to stay open.

why is it telling it to stay open? because the readings it is getting from other sensors is saying it is cold. check coolent temp sensor. if it is working, the your IACV is ***d.

kyle
29-03-2007, 03:39 PM
no he got it mixed up the coolent lines going to the IACV have nothing to do with his problem. he thought the little chamber under the t/b was the IACV. but it is just a little "anti T/B freezing thing".

the coolant lines for the IACV have nothing to do with the readings for the ECU, the readings come from the coolent temp sensor located on the side of the head.

kyle
29-03-2007, 03:41 PM
;1116532']i thought i the IACV was under the throttle body with the 2 hoses attached to it?
but seems as its not.

-----

tinkerbell
29-03-2007, 03:52 PM
sweet, sorry, i got confused... :o

kyle
29-03-2007, 04:01 PM
na man its cool, i thought i was confused too, i am in the middle of posting between the tech topics, both about idles and IACV's lol i thought I stuffed up.

(Y)

beeza
22-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Bringing this thread back since it's about the d16y4 TB on a EK1.

I'm installing a Skunk2 IM with a b16a2 TB on my d16y4 EK1.
There is something on the stock TB that wont go on the b16 TB.I wasn't sure what it is but I'm pretty sure kyle said "he thought the little chamber under the t/b was the IACV. but it is just a little "anti T/B freezing thing"

Could somebody please tell me that this is the same thing I'm talking about.
I'm guessing it wont have to be fitted to the b16 TB if it is?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1720.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1718.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1717.jpg

[ricer]
22-10-2007, 10:06 PM
the y4 iacv is a 3 wire
im pretty sure the b16 is a 2 wire so ur gonna have to do some wiring work there too

ECU-MAN
23-10-2007, 08:25 AM
if your using the P2K ecu the you will have to use the 3 wire IACV otherwise you will always get code 14 in the ECU

beeza
23-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Post deleted.I gotta do some serious research to find out what I gotta do...