PDA

View Full Version : new battery or not?

gbang007
28-03-2007, 04:46 PM
ok,
i am about to upgrade my system soon. currently running stock speakers off a pioneer head unit and a 400watt rms sub and amd. if i was to change the sub and amp but have similar ratings and get a four channel amp to power focal V2's, would a standard battery be able to handle all this? or would it be better to get a more powerful battery?

civic racer
28-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I Wouldn't buy a new battery just yet, Wot cable size do you have coming off your battery to your amp ???. I'd suggest 4awg from your battery to a distro block then 8awg to each amp. Also would help to upgrade your engine groundings and upgrade the negative cable on battery.

Fhrx
28-03-2007, 08:56 PM
As civic racer stated above, a new battery would be nice but at this stage it is not 100% necessary for you champ.:)

gbang007
28-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I Wouldn't buy a new battery just yet, Wot cable size do you have coming off your battery to your amp ???. I'd suggest 4awg from your battery to a distro block then 8awg to each amp. Also would help to upgrade your engine groundings and upgrade the negative cable on battery.
what does awg mean? all i know about the cabling to my current amp and sub is that its 4guage.

Fr3aKi3
28-03-2007, 11:01 PM
awg = American Wire Gauge

so basically 4awg = 4 gauge

I'm currently running 2 amps in my car, an Infinity REF7541 (4 x 111wrms) as well as an Infinity REF610 (1 x 657, but i'm currently running it at 4ohms so its pushing out about 450wrms). I'm still using the stock battery but i've upgraded the earths. I've got a 0awg which replaces the factory earth and then another run of 0awg into a distro which splits into 4 x 4awg.

EuroDude
29-03-2007, 09:28 AM
You may just need to get a more efficient Amp instead of upgrading the battery.

For example I had a 700w(peak, not RMS) Sony Amp running a Sub and it was terrible at power handling. The headlights would dim all the time and the battery went flat easily.

I then upgraded to a 600w Audison Amp and it was way more efficent. The power output was much cleaner and higher, and the lights didnt dim at all. It was like $200 more expensive than the Sony but its worth it.

So yeh get yourself a decent Italian or American Amp from a company that is dedicated to Car Audio. Avoid the cheap cr@p from Sony and other common brands that manufacturer a thousand other non-car audio products along side their inexperienced car audio range.

tron07
29-03-2007, 10:33 AM
As long as you dont go listening to the system without the engine running you shouldnt have a problem.

teh_mechanic
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
should be good with the stock battery,but yeah i would upgrade the grounds if i was you.And if u get problems when u install the system,then u can start looking at batteries etc