PDA

View Full Version : UR pulleys review

sodaz
28-03-2007, 09:33 PM
My UR pulleys (3 piece set) - have finally been installed. Here's my impressions so far as promised:

1. Better throttle response - like installing the icebox, only better! :eek:
2. Great improvement in power throughout the whole rev range (esp low-mid)
3. Car now revs a fair bit faster than stock - much easier to redline now.
4. Car seems to be quieter now and starts easier - overall it feels smoother
5. Power steering is better than stock when the car is running but a tiny bit heavier when parking
6. No electrical problems observed.

Note: I also got the Gates belt to replace the stock belt as recommended by UR.
Overall, I think it's one of the best performance mods to get. :thumbsup: :cool:

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/
http://www.gates.com/

yfin
28-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice work Sodaz - so how much did this cost you all up inc pulley, belt and install? Any change from $500?

sodaz
28-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks mate. Here's the cost breakdown:

1. $480 for the pulleys
2. $110 for the install - 1.5 hours of labour
3. $30 for the belt

So it's $620 all up (inclusive of shipping).

yfin
28-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks mate. Here's the cost breakdown:

1. $480 for the pulleys
2. $110 for the install - 1.5 hours of labour
3. $30 for the belt

So it's $620 all up (inclusive of shipping).

Thanks Sodaz - where did you get the pulleys from? Local trader or the USA? That install price is pretty good.

fatfish
28-03-2007, 10:52 PM
i think you may ask the underground imports for the price

aaronng
28-03-2007, 11:00 PM
i think you may ask the underground imports for the price

Underground imports is closed for now... :(

E-Gene
28-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Sounds like a good mod. Would it be better to do the flywheel as well?

sodaz
29-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Sodaz - where did you get the pulleys from? Local trader or the USA? That install price is pretty good.

You're welcome mate. I got my pulleys from ebay (overseas) but you can get it from tsxparts, unorthodox racing, excelerate from acurazine forum or some local traders. The install price really depends on whether the workshop knows what they are doing. There's a place in Melbourne that can install it in 45 minutes if i remember correctly.

adammet04
29-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Sodaz,

I have them installed too (about 2months now) and i generally agree with your comments.

It definately changes how the car works, like i feel i dont have to depress the accellerator as much to get the car to rev up..

I have an auto euro.

ill add the following:

i have an aftermarket headunit, with ipod connector, and now my ipod does not charge while connected in there.

on occassion with all accressories/lights on, switching on the stock radio / stacker, will cut power momentarily to my HU..

Im thinking of upgrading the battery to see if this will fix the cutting power issue.

Im still running stock speakers etc..

Cheers

tron07
29-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Install a 0.5 farad cap on the HU would help...

edit -
Notice you mention you dont have amps, just a aftermarket HU, could be the installer just tap the power from the existing HU power cable, causing a sudden power drop.

Adding a cap should help... rewiring the aftermarket HU, pull the power directly from the battery should help too.

Unless your existing car battery is 2 years old or more, changing it might not help. Also check your alternator, if its charging or generating enough juice.

curik
29-03-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah agree with sodaz, its one of the best mod, i can even hear vtec more clearly now. My mechanic did my install in 30 mins, not bad at all

adammet04
30-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Install a 0.5 farad cap on the HU would help...

edit -
Notice you mention you dont have amps, just a aftermarket HU, could be the installer just tap the power from the existing HU power cable, causing a sudden power drop.

Adding a cap should help... rewiring the aftermarket HU, pull the power directly from the battery should help too.

Unless your existing car battery is 2 years old or more, changing it might not help. Also check your alternator, if its charging or generating enough juice.

You are most likely correct..however it is something i think people should know about in general, that there is a possibility without some extra work may need to be done to an aftermarket soundsystem (big or small) that you may find some things not working as expected prior to the install of pulleys (on the euro)..
like you say, things like wiring up the HU directly to the battery rather than tapping a wire (if that is what it is in my case) is more of an issue with lightweight pulleys than without them..

Im currently deciding whether or not to put in a sub or just get some more powerful rear speakers for the car and having the pulleys in , i think, is a factor for me to consider..in terms of power, good wiring, second battery, cap.. etc...

tron07
30-03-2007, 09:23 AM
normal speakers will not play frequency lower then 60Hz.... If you want subbass, get a proper subwoofer.

adammet04
30-03-2007, 10:54 PM
normal speakers will not play frequency lower then 60Hz.... If you want subbass, get a proper subwoofer.

agreed, but im referring to the fact of the subbies and amps etc drawing more power than maybe supplied by engine because of pulleys then i gotta look at other powering methods etc..hence do i really want to go that far..

free2d
31-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Cant use back the stock belt? Package doesnt include belts?

enkay
31-03-2007, 10:33 PM
u can use the stock belt, but it wares out realy quick so ive heard (if i remember correctly) thats why they use the gates belt as its a bit shorter or sumthing like that

sodaz
31-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah if you use the stock belt it will wear out really quickly and start making squeaking noises. If you use the Gates belt you won't have that problem. The package doesn't include the belt but it doesn't cost much to get.

sendok
01-04-2007, 12:44 PM
So, other than underground imports, where can we get them?

where did u installed them anyway Sodaz? thanks! :D

curik
01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
tsxparts! ebay!

sodaz
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM

where did u installed them anyway Sodaz? thanks! :D

MRT Rally in Sydney.

tron07
02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
agreed, but im referring to the fact of the subbies and amps etc drawing more power than maybe supplied by engine because of pulleys then i gotta look at other powering methods etc..hence do i really want to go that far..

For such a big car, I dont think there will be a issue. Any idea what is the rating of the Euro's alternator??

I had seen cars with 60amp alternator and they dont have problems with amps up to 100X4 and a 500X1

tony1234
03-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know where we can get the pulleys locally?Any traders on here do them?

BusterSonic12
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know where we can get the pulleys locally?Any traders on here do them?

double that. where? because after hearing so much about them, they sound like the ultimate mod :D to get, since everyone saying so much +ve about em

sendok
03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
nobody knows?... dont say ebay.. lolz

adammet04
03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
tsxparts is a good place to go..this is where i got mine from, some things you just cant get in australia.

E-Gene
05-04-2007, 08:33 PM
So anyone in Melb willing to recommend a garage that would install them and do a good job?

Hmmm...do I smell a groupbuy? Hehehe.

EuroAccord13
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
u can use the stock belt, but it wares out realy quick so ive heard (if i remember correctly) thats why they use the gates belt as its a bit shorter or sumthing like that

No you can't use the stock belt, as it's an underdrive pulley, you'll need a shorter belt...

sodaz
05-04-2007, 09:46 PM
So anyone in Melb willing to recommend a garage that would install them and do a good job?

Hmmm...do I smell a groupbuy? Hehehe.

I read that "racing project" is a good installer in Melbourne.

E-Gene
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I read that "racing project" is a good installer in Melbourne.

But where did you do yours?

sodaz
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
But where did you do yours?

I'm in Sydney. Read the last page for the answer. ;)

E-Gene
05-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm in Sydney. Read the last page for the answer. ;)

So is this "racing project" place the place that can install it in 45mins?

sodaz
05-04-2007, 10:52 PM
So is this "racing project" place the place that can install it in 45mins?

I think so according to some of the members here.

EuroAccord13
06-04-2007, 02:08 AM
You need installers in Melbourne? I can refer you to some who have ACTUALLY installed UR pulleys in a Euro before..