PDA

View Full Version : CRX help **now with PICS**

Datto Sunny
24-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey guys I am new here I just piced up a CRX, the wife has loved them for years and I came across one so I brought it.

Its a Jap Spec import as there is Japanese writing all throught the interior the majority of the controls are labelled in Japanese.

I had a look in the engine bay and there isn't a build plate or a compliance plate so I am assuming that it came in as a 15 year old import.

Probably the most defining features is it has a tinted glass roof and a SI badge on the back.

Also its an auto so the mother in law can drive the car aswell. unfortunatly that was one requierment.

The car runs well and I am happy with it however I was hoping that some people on here might know a little more about the car.

what I want to know is what engine is in the car, what is the kw and torque output.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

MTX BOY
24-06-2004, 09:59 AM
If its the DOHC Si it would have the D16A8 engine(1590cc) with 130hp at 6800rpm, redlines at 7200rpm with the torque(lb.-ft@rpm) 106 at 5700.

Jus-10
24-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Sounds good. Get some pics up when you can.

Datto Sunny
24-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I will post up some pics tomorrow I took some this mornign but my work PC doesn't have the hardware to download them will do it tonight them post them up tomorrow.

130 hp is about 92 kw right ???is it 1.4hp in 1kw

Itook it for a little drive last night I am suprised how well it went for an automatic.

wynode
24-06-2004, 10:47 AM
HI Datto Sunny,

Take a picture (or write down) the engine number and we can tell you how much power it makes from that. Also, what year model is it?

Datto Sunny
24-06-2004, 11:21 AM
HI Datto Sunny,

Take a picture (or write down) the engine number and we can tell you how much power it makes from that. Also, what year model is it?

I will have some pics tomorrow

I am not 100% sure on the year model as there isn't a built plate in the engine bay on the fire wall unless on the CRX is located elsewhere ???

I am guessing its around a 88 / 89 model.

Mr. Focus
24-06-2004, 07:56 PM
it will be an 88-89. you could even have the 'zc' engine. Australia got the d16a8 - which is a slightly decompressed ZC, making a little bit less power and different fuel maps - it's the Australian Govt. doing stupid things like that - ahh well.

Japan had the ZC's - which I think at some stage were also getting the australian compliance.

ZC's are generally better - because they make the 130hp whereas d16s make only about 124hp.

Datto Sunny
24-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I had another look it is the DOHC engine. However I couldn't see any other markings to determine if it is a ZC or a D16a8

the other thing is on the plenum it has PGM-FI (programmed fuel injection.
I don't know if this helps determine what engine it is.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

ECU-MAN
24-06-2004, 10:40 PM
do you have climate control ?????

joneblaze
24-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Welcome to OH Datto.... a loyal FFF'er come over to peak around.
Plan on modding the CRX for the lady? ;)

Datto Sunny
25-06-2004, 10:55 AM

hahaha

thought I would stick my nose in I would rather get info about the car here rather than there ;)

will be looking at some basic stuff for know pod CAI, new exhaust see how it goes.

ECU_MAN yes it has climate control or as they call it AUTO AIRCON :?:

left my pics at home on CD will hopefully have some up over the weekend.

egSi
25-06-2004, 11:23 AM
sounds like a ZC DOHC to me........

Mr. Focus
25-06-2004, 03:10 PM
the number will be on the left (facing your engine from the front) but just below your exhaust manifold. could be covered in crap too

should be 2 sets of numbers:
D16A8 <-----this is the one your looking for

[[d a n n y]]
25-06-2004, 03:18 PM

hahaha

thought I would stick my nose in I would rather get info about the car here rather than there ;)

will be looking at some basic stuff for know pod CAI, new exhaust see how it goes.

JDM CLIMATE CONTROL YO~
hey what's does your dash light up to at night? amber?

anywayz great to c u here...
tell us how it goes with the mods

Datto Sunny
25-06-2004, 05:03 PM
]]

hahaha

JDM CLIMATE CONTROL YO~
hey what's does your dash light up to at night? amber?

anywayz great to c u here...
tell us how it goes with the mods

Yeah it lights up Amber

also noticed today that I have the FLAIR as well 8)

will have a look for the engine number

Datto Sunny
25-06-2004, 06:57 PM
I had a look and the numbers are

ZC 221???? couldn't remember the rest :oops:

So I gather its the ZC engine, from what I have read then it is slightly better than the Australian delivered engine.

I want to put and exhaust from the manifold back, now I am wondering what size is the best option.

I don't want anything that is over size I was thinking a 2" or 2.25" which would be the better size for the engine. I don't want to go bigger as it becomes usless.

what is the preferred pod for Hondas. K&N/HKS/Apexi/uni fliter pods ???

what are some other mods that will help me get more power out of the N/A engine ?? I am use to Turbo engines so any help would be appreciated.

Also this might sound stupid but what is VTEC ???

Datto Sunny
25-06-2004, 07:01 PM
This is good I am learning some new info :D

The ZC actually has a lower compression aswell.

check this out

http://www.streettuners.com/curve/engine/engine_specs.html#crx

wynode
25-06-2004, 07:13 PM

Datto Sunny,

I think you will find a LOT of information if you used the search feature and/or went through the stickies in the Tech section as well as the other forums.

Here is one small explanation on what VTEC is:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

Datto Sunny
25-06-2004, 08:53 PM

Datto Sunny,

I think you will find a LOT of information if you used the search feature and/or went through the stickies in the Tech section as well as the other forums.

Here is one small explanation on what VTEC is:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

;)

thanks mate.

mr cyanide
25-06-2004, 10:29 PM
hey mate, good to hear another 2nd Gen is out and about.

Head to CRX Australia www.crxaustralia.com and you'll get all the help you need over there.

I'm guessing that your car has back seats?
The ZC is a good engine but from what i've learned, engine performance parts aren't easy to come by.

And you'd know if it was VTEC :?

CHeers
Alex

LatinoHatchCrap
26-06-2004, 09:24 AM
BUMP! I wanna see pics!

Datto Sunny
26-06-2004, 05:03 PM
BUMP! I wanna see pics!

I will have some for you on Monday :)

Datto Sunny
29-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Finally it has taken a while but here are some pics of the new ride

http://www.pbase.com/bubzla/inbox

CRXONE
01-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Oh I love the rear seats *jealous

Yeah that front bar doesn't look stock to me?

I like those white wheels would you swap them for my Simmons B45's??

Mark 8)

ts0nda
01-07-2004, 12:46 PM
:thumbsup: top ride man! leave the steelies on!!

Datto Sunny
01-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh I love the rear seats *jealous

Yeah that front bar doesn't look stock to me?

I like those white wheels would you swap them for my Simmons B45's??

Mark 8)

The wife likes white wheels on black cars. I am happy I picked up the rims for $500 for the set.

Back seat is cool, there are even little pockets for the passengers to put bits and peices.

Setanta
01-07-2004, 06:05 PM
I have news to people, the ZC that the JDM Si (Civic and CRX) ran is 130PS, NOT 130bhp ;) The same as my SiR is 160PS NOT 160bhp. Difference is only 1-2bhp though.

Datto Sunny - in order for it to be an EF8 VTEC CRX, it would need to have the SiR badge on it, not the Si.

LOL - I want the Japanese stickers on the doors, you can see where they were pulled off my import Civic's trim ;)

I also have the auto aircon and amber lighting - the auto aircon sucks when all you want it fresh air coming in - pray it never breaks down on you, it's powered by servo motors, unlike the Aussie spec cars which are cable driven :D

Nice ride :)

wynode
01-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Sure is nice.......especially that fat intake arm. Sure looks fatter than my d16a8 :(

Datto Sunny
05-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Sure is nice.......especially that fat intake arm. Sure looks fatter than my d16a8 :(

I am getting rid of that arm and making up a cold air box beside the battery. I don't like how the plastic intake arm runs over the manifold. I can only imagine that would heat the air up as it makes it way to the air filter.

Setanta - I hope nothing breaks ;)