PDA

View Full Version : EK Civic or 7th Gen Civic - Which better for performance mods?

birdie
28-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I am considering getting a Civic, now i am looking at either the EK Civic Sedan (4 door) which has the D16 i believe or a 7th Gen Civic Sedan (whatever their code is?) and they have a D17 i believe?

Now which (motor) is better for performance mods namely forced induction? I have found turbo kits for either on ebay and other sites... so availability shouldn't be a problem for either (ie not custom).

Also both are about the same weight and size right? both have about the same boot size too right (need big boot for sound system + luggage :P)?

Anything else i should consider between these two models?

krogoth
28-03-2007, 11:59 PM
the engines are almost the same, the 7th gen has a very slightly larger displacement, which means just a tiny bit more torque

tell u the truth, i woodnt bother with any D-series wen it comes to performance, they dont respond that well

a good and reliable turbo setup will cost easily more than 6k, IMO

dw about some shit u see on ebay, most of it rubbish IMO, and if u dont know exactly wat ur doin, u shoodnt DIY, IMO

the ek will respond just as well to turbo as the ES, but in terms of suspension and other mods, the EK has *** loads more to work with(tons of parts locally available and through ozhonda traders), not so much the ES

to get aftermarket parts for an ES, ull have to look into american parts, expensive and again thru ebay, which i dont trust

the ES looks better though, IMO, and is newer....i think FWD turbo is too much of a hassle, unique yes, but ull have alot of issues

if u want turbo...u shood go for a nissan, spammed but reliable and easy

the best way to get a fast honda, go get an ES, and but a b18c in it, great results and u got urself a bullet of a car + reliable for the same price as a good turbo

Riced_Civic
29-03-2007, 07:45 AM
^^^ Yes i agree the D-series dont repond well to bolt ons and the only way is to do a swap or a turbo.

BTW &7h gen cant have B-series engings because no1 make mount for us, we can only fit the K-series ATM

birdie
29-03-2007, 08:52 AM
I was under the impression that most people recommended just turboing the D16 over doing a engine swap as it was much easier?

I'd rather not go into the field of engine swaps... This will be my main car so it needs to be reliable...

No i don't want Nissan... as they don't make a medium sized car that is 4 door and turbo'd that is affordable...

birdie
29-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Maybe i should just go for a Civic VTI-R coupe? Are these any smaller than a 4 door?

denot
29-03-2007, 09:42 AM
personally... I would take the 7th gen sedan rather than EK. coz not many of them are modified. Your ride could be "special" ^_^

Zdster
29-03-2007, 10:01 AM
tell u the truth, i woodnt bother with any D-series wen it comes to performance, they dont respond that well

Wrong! :)

There are numerous turboed ek's out there (both here and in the States) that perform really well. My personal preference would be to go with the ek (mostly because I prefer the shape and that it is a lighter car) and get a custom setup (IMO I dont trust to many off the shelf kits to achieve exactly what you are after).

I was under the impression that most people recommended just turboing the D16 over doing a engine swap as it was much easier?

Not so much a question of ease as a question of personal preference.

Maybe i should just go for a Civic VTI-R coupe? Are these any smaller than a 4 door?

I believe they are the same length - but cant remember exactly. The VTI-R coupe will also come with a different engine.
You could always look at the hatch?

birdie
29-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah i looked on carsales.com.au -> research cars and both the EK and the VTI-R couple are the same length and all... so i suspect the boots would be the same size? just longer doors?

Yeah the VTI-R has a B16a DOHC VTEC motor at 118kw IIRC...

Nah the hatch is too small. I want to move up in size a bit from my 97 corolla seca (mainly boot space).

How does a DC2 integra compare in boot space and room inside to a Civic? Cause they have the more torque-ier B18. And they are also quicker standard (mid 14s or so 400m compared to low 15s for the VTI-R coupe)

krogoth
29-03-2007, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Zdster;1117438]Wrong! :)

There are numerous turboed ek's out there (both here and in the States) that perform really well. My personal preference would be to go with the ek (mostly because I prefer the shape and that it is a lighter car) and get a custom setup (IMO I dont trust to many off the shelf kits to achieve exactly what you are after).

hey mikey

i was reffering to stuff like intake, headers, exhaust, the gains arent that much wen compared to a b or k series engine

but of course it will respond quite well to turbo, but if turbo isnt done properly, reliabilty issues may arrise, and for a good local turbo, installed and tuned, i think it may be quite expensive

maybe expensive enuf to equal a k20a swop

Zdster
29-03-2007, 11:43 AM
[quote=Zdster;1117438]Wrong! :)

hey mikey

i was reffering to stuff like intake, headers, exhaust, the gains arent that much wen compared to a b or k series engine

but of course it will respond quite well to turbo, but if turbo isnt done properly, reliabilty issues may arrise, and for a good local turbo, installed and tuned, i think it may be quite expensive

maybe expensive enuf to equal a k20a swop

Ok, now I agree. Bolt on mods arnt that great for this motor (relative to other blocks out there).

Turbo's do work well, but the great thing about these motors are that there are plenty out there and are reliable and cheap. Even if the turbo setup is done really badly (and lets say you outlay $6k), you can blow up the block and buy a brand new one for $600 and rebuild the turbo setup again. That is still under the price tag of $12,000 k20 setup :thumbsup:.

Riced_Civic
29-03-2007, 04:37 PM
tru that there isnt many 7th gen that are modified but thats y i got 1,
im in the process of installing a turbo