PDA

View Full Version : Thought it was a dead battery… replaced the battery but still not working.

VeeTec
29-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Since I now work in the city I don’t drive my car as often as I use to. Yesterday after not driving my car for a few days, I went to start it up to go to the shops. I turned the key… the lights on the dash board came up and that was it… engine didn’t even try to turn over. (FYI - I’ve never had any electrical problems with the car since I got it, and have never replaced the battery since I go it either. 2 Years Ago)

I thought it was a dead battery, so I went to K-mart to get a new battery. This morning when I fitted the new battery and went to start the car nothing happened… not even the lights on the dashboard would come up now. Some things to note before you put up your suggestions

• I’ve consistently had issues with the lead that connects to the battery every couple of weeks I have to pour boiling water on it to get rid of that blue/green crap that forms on the top. It’s so bad that the positive connector is a different colour to the negative colour. Could replacing this lead connector to the battery solve the problem?
• The alarm still works, but no central locking or anything else now.

bennjamin
29-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Small chance the battery u got is bad -
possibly a fuse is blown in the in-engine bay fuse box or a fuse in the immobiliser itself.
When you turn over the car now , it simply makes NO noise ?
Can you hear the fuel pump prime ? (it happens when the small yellow ECU / engine light goes on then off when u half turn the key)

VeeTec
29-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Small chance the battery u got is bad -
possibly a fuse is blown in the in-engine bay fuse box or a fuse in the immobiliser itself.
When you turn over the car now , it simply makes NO noise ?
Can you hear the fuel pump prime ? (it happens when the small yellow ECU / engine light goes on then off when u half turn the key)

Thanks for your response. Yeah.. no noise at all when i try to start the car now. I'll check out your theory of the fuses tonight... i hope it's that, and nothing major.

VT3C
29-03-2007, 04:48 PM
check the ECU 'Back-Up' fuse ;) i had this problem on my EG and it drove me insane then i found that fuse was blown and then it was all better.

VeeTec
29-03-2007, 05:01 PM
check the ECU 'Back-Up' fuse ;) i had this problem on my EG and it drove me insane then i found that fuse was blown and then it was all better.

where did you find that on your car?... i assume it would be located in the Under-Hood Fuse/Relay Box yeah?

air23box
30-03-2007, 02:22 AM
What I suggest you to do it check all ur fuse ....coz I dun think there is anything to do with ur battery......remember you turn ur car on b4 and there is light on the dash.....if a dead battery when you turn the key and all the light should be gone.....also it may be ur alarm's problem....the immoboliser didn't let the car start for some reason......coz that happen to my mate's car too.....

wildom69
30-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey, I had the EXACT same problem that you're dealing with. Thought my battery went dead...bought another one and still...nothing! It ended up being the chalky residue on the end of the battery cable that was retricting the amount of power sent to the car. All I did was WD-40 the thing and it worked. Hope that helps dude!

VeeTec
30-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey, I had the EXACT same problem that you're dealing with. Thought my battery went dead...bought another one and still...nothing! It ended up being the chalky residue on the end of the battery cable that was retricting the amount of power sent to the car. All I did was WD-40 the thing and it worked. Hope that helps dude!

thanks bro, I think you've hit the jackpot... i couldn't do much last night as it was pissing cats and dogs. But i check a few of the important fuses relating to power and they seemed fine.

I've always had issues with the positive terminal constantly building up with chalky residue.

VeeTec
30-03-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks for all your help guys. Problem fixed. It was the residue that was causing the problem... it stopped the connection between the leads and the battery.

I replaced my terminal connectors and BOOM! it worked.

Cheers!

Bludger
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
yeah, what Benny said, can i pls get a rep point?

VT3C
08-04-2007, 12:48 AM
lol NEGATIVE rep point just for askin

if you have to ask for it you dont deserve it LOL ;)

quangsta
08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
true that i was about to give one but then u asked....not that mine are worth much...