PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment and balance?

coolson
29-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering how do you know if you need a wheel alignment and balance?

I know this is a dump question.

Where can you get it done and how much it will cost. I am in Sydney.

Cheers!

mku01
29-03-2007, 02:01 PM
when u're travelling in a straight line but ur steering wheel is pointing to either 1 or 11 o'clock... the situation is more severe if the angle is greater

Zdster
29-03-2007, 02:04 PM
when u're travelling in a straight line but ur steering wheel is pointing to either 1 or 11 o'clock... the situation is more severe if the angle is greater

Or every 5k's you need new tyres.

Any tyre shop will be able to do one for you, pretty much.

abzndintegra
29-03-2007, 02:05 PM
just take it to bob jane, they have awesoem equiptment its $66 for front and back wheel alignment, wheel balance is extra and u only need it if ur steering wheel is shaking

coolson
29-03-2007, 02:26 PM
just take it to bob jane, they have awesoem equiptment its $66 for front and back wheel alignment, wheel balance is extra and u only need it if ur steering wheel is shaking

when you say shaking, does that mean only happen on high way?

abzndintegra
29-03-2007, 02:32 PM
well if its bad it will happenat any speed, but the problem only will become more obvious at higher speed,

Dems
29-03-2007, 04:34 PM

$66! my mechanic just charged me $110 for just the rears! what a crap world we live in where mechanics are stereo typical bastards, just my 2 cents.

coolson
29-03-2007, 04:37 PM
what? that expensive? can we just go to Kmart tyre or BobJane. ?

abzndintegra
29-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Well sometimes the big guys can be expensive but in general i believe they are cheaper.

Bob Jane (bankstown) has someone dedicated to wheel alignments, his experience and expertise combined with speed makes it worth their while it takes him 10 minutes to do front and back, they have a proper setup.

but if you look at you local mechanic he has to do it himself, so the way he works it out is if he works on it 2 hours he wants 2 hours labour, when in reality he shouldnt be charging 2 hours cause he is slow and doesnt know what he is doing

Dems
29-03-2007, 04:56 PM
nope he just sent me down the road to pedders, and he just sent me an itemised bill with all the work on it and yeah rear wheel alignment $110...

abzndintegra
29-03-2007, 04:58 PM
u must have had a problem of some sort,

$66 is made up up $38.50 for front and $27.50 for the back lol, if u only got a wheel alignment u got done hard!!!!!!!

Dems
29-03-2007, 05:05 PM
it's ok i just cant afford that new air freshiner from super cheap auto this month.. :(

tron07
30-03-2007, 12:08 PM
If you are at Sydney go to Hesman Steering at Princess HW, Sydenem. [tb]

No point having awsome balancing and alignment equipment if the people using is not good or the equipment not calibrated.

coolson
30-03-2007, 12:13 PM
If you are at Sydney go to Hesman Steering at Princess HW, Sydenem. [tb]

No point having awsome balancing and alignment equipment if the people using is not good or the equipment not calibrated.

Thanks! do you know how much they cost roughly?

AsH_
30-03-2007, 07:21 PM
i went thru about 3 wheel balance and alignments in under a month...

my car was crazy 2 keep in the 1 lane i needed to keep turning my wheel to both sides since at 1 point 2 drive straight i need 2 have the steering wheel 45 degrees then quickly counter steer it the other way...

very hard to control... especially in the wet...
going 50km/hr and cant even stay in the lane...

but if you drive faster its lil bit better...

later that afternoon i had to get home so i went on the freeway... some guy pulled me over coz i had sparks coming out of my wheels...

i got out and i had all the sides of my car covered in rubber bits... my tyres were pretty much metal wires...

finally i replaced my power steering racks, arms and bushes...
some other things too...

cost about a grand at pedders...

ill scan and upload my wheel alignment report soon...

nigs
30-03-2007, 08:09 PM
geezus!
110 for a alignment :s
Just got mine done, they took they're time. 1.5hrs.
Adjusted toe and camber front and rear. Taking into consideration load.
Fiddy Dorrah all up.

Glitta
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
nope he just sent me down the road to pedders, and he just sent me an itemised bill with all the work on it and yeah rear wheel alignment $110...

Was your car in an accident before..? My bro in law is a panel beater sometimes I take cars for him when he's busy always the damaged ones you have to pay a fair bit more to have the alignment done.. last car I owned that was in an accident cost us $250 to have the steering problems sorted..

For the record Excelsior Steering in Bankstown does the most awesome work.. ;)

He's extremely busy though so go down and get a quote and appointment a couple of days to a week before you actually want any work done...

He has always taken care of my cars as well as the ones from the shop never yet in 7 years had a single problem with a car he's worked on...

Dems
01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
nah no smash ups in my baby just got taken for a ride by a shit mechanic i've never used before.

Glitta
02-04-2007, 12:51 AM
nah no smash ups in my baby just got taken for a ride by a shit mechanic i've never used before.

In that case you got charged Pedders fee and then a little on top for the mechanics pocket... should have asked for original receipt from the people that did the work... or better yet don't get mechanic to do your dirty work...! lol

These days you cannot trust anyone with your car...

Kiz_EG6
02-04-2007, 08:26 AM
$66! my mechanic just charged me $110 for just the rears! what a crap world we live in where mechanics are stereo typical bastards, just my 2 cents.

Depends what he did though. Some use a static aligner, some dynamic!!
You will always pay more for a dynamic wheel alignment!