PDA

View Full Version : Honda Adds New Type R to Civic Lineup *Hot off the press*

Civic Type R
29-03-2007, 02:33 PM
TOKYO, Japan - March 29, 2007– Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced the release of the all-new Civic Type R, a pure sports edition of the Civic with further enhanced driving performance. The new Civic Type R will go on sale throughout Japan on Friday, March 30.

http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/image/01_s.jpg (http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/photo/pages/01.html)
http://world.honda.com/motorsports/img/zoom.gif (http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/photo/pages/01.html)
New Civic Type R

This new Civic Type R was developed to make the driver feel at one with the car for the ultimate driving experience in all driving conditions, including on circuits.

The all-new Civic Type R comes equipped with a specially tuned 2.0-liter normally aspirated engine matched to a 6-speed manual transmission. A lighter, more rigid body shell, specially tuned suspension, 18-inch tires and large 17-inch front disc brakes contribute to the Civic Type R’s ability to push the performance envelope. Newly developed aerodynamic devices further enhance high-speed performance while giving the wide and low form a more aggressive look. Front bucket seats, a unique instrument panel and other performance accessories contribute to an easier and more responsive drive.

Type R models are specially tuned to take full advantage of the potential of the base model and provide a racing car-like driving feel. First offered on the NSX in 1992, the Type R range was extended to the Integra in 1995, and the Civic in 1997. This latest all-new Civic Type R is the distillation of 15 years of technological progress and the latest expression of Honda’s “Challenging Spirit.”

http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/photo/images/54.jpg

further reading:
http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/

ViHatcher
29-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Hope this is not a repost -

Homepage -http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/

Modulo - http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/civictype-r/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rhk
29-03-2007, 05:49 PM
man why the hell do we get the hatch :(

NeRV
29-03-2007, 06:01 PM
thats hot

tanalasta
29-03-2007, 06:41 PM
The 'first drive' was also in the latest edition of the Wheels Magazine on sale now.

Some comment were:
The transmission is lovely. However - their criticisms were that the chassis suffers somewhat from the strut rear suspension (no multilink system here) and that to get the most out of the car, you really need to run through the gears to keep the car in the optimal range. They thought it was a 'good' hatch but not one that was 'great' (read Golf GTI)

Nugget02
29-03-2007, 07:51 PM
feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck
i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want! i want!

s2o0o
29-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I want those wheels.

I hope HondaAU does eventually bring us this beauty.

Very nice! GO WHITE!

NeoNode
29-03-2007, 10:08 PM
The 'first drive' was also in the latest edition of the Wheels Magazine on sale now.

Some comment were:
The transmission is lovely. However - their criticisms were that the chassis suffers somewhat from the strut rear suspension (no multilink system here) and that to get the most out of the car, you really need to run through the gears to keep the car in the optimal range. They thought it was a 'good' hatch but not one that was 'great' (read Golf GTI)
If the original post was about the UK CTR this would certainly apply, but luckily it isn't.

DOHCTR Coopz!
29-03-2007, 11:03 PM
velli noice... :thumbsup:

Dreams
29-03-2007, 11:26 PM
farrrk so nicee. im so into this over the hatcth.

amato2
29-03-2007, 11:27 PM
do you think that if enough people email them regarding getting this civic honda australia will do it....what if we could get enough people to show interest in it do you think that honda would go for it... i mean SP23 hatch and sedan are here so why cant honda bring down the JDM civic here too which i might add would be cheaper to get here than the hatch...my thoughts anyways

egads
29-03-2007, 11:30 PM
can the hatch. bring on the sedans. makes more sense since our civics are that model anyway.

sitta
29-03-2007, 11:39 PM
am i the only one that thinks the hatch is better? not engine wise but this looks... too normal it just looks like a $20.000 civic with bodykits, the hatch looks different and there are none like them on the roads. performance wise ill go with the jdm one but i prefer the look of the hatch especially black on black with brembo and HID stealthy!!!

amato2
29-03-2007, 11:50 PM
WE want the JDM type R i will buy one stright away if they bring it out, i was holding off foe this car cause i knew it was going to be a hot looking car.... and if they dont bring it out i will have lost faith in Honda as a company cause they are too scard to try somthin different... they need to take the risk, not that its a big one anyways i could see this car selling well for them it would be a shame not to bring it here and that also includes americas coupe that gr8 aswell....... and why didnt they eva bring the euro r here, the euro has been a major success for Honda... man sometimes i wonder who runs this company

sitta
29-03-2007, 11:55 PM
WE want the JDM type R i will buy one stright away if they bring it out, i was holding off foe this car cause i knew it was going to be a hot looking car.... and if they dont bring it out i will have lost faith in Honda as a company cause they are too scard to try somthin different...

i have feeling maybe they are going to take the jdm one here as a limitd edition
maybe only 500? just my thought, 165kw man that is sick, the hatch ctr will kick golf gti this jdm will kill it!! 0.o y cant they make it 170s kw like the s2000?

but anyway my hatc is coming in june!! first one to get it in sydney!! hahaha but if the jdm one comes i will regret this purchase. Anyway, i've been waiting for the hatch since the prototype came out so i cant wait till june 65 days count down oh yea!!!

amato2
30-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Dun get me wrong i love the hatch that looks like its been plucked from startrek and i love that is bold and different, but i love the lines of the jdm R it looks mean yet still futuristic and not to mention those big assed brembo's on the front man they look sick, this would be a really nice Honda and i think will be a hit much like the EK.....buy the way anybody seen pics of jdm R in black yet??

STTICH
30-03-2007, 02:59 AM
http://world.honda.com/news/2007/4070329CivicTypeR/photo/images/47.jpg

phwoaaar.. ricer neons :p

haha..

i must say, i have nothing against our CTR hatch. but i really like this 4dr version, alot better than the CTR we're getting. :thumbsup:

EK4R
30-03-2007, 03:24 AM
seriously guys, all these talk bout JDM hotness and UK hatch isnt any as good.

i think we should be glad that Honda Aus is even bringing in a type R.

and if they dont bring it out i will have lost faith in Honda as a company cause they are too scard to try somthin different

^^ i mean comon dude. the hatch is so different it still looks like a concept car.

hey need to take the risk, not that its a big one anyways i could see this car selling well for them it would be a shame not to bring it here

personally i love the jdm with all its goodies. but be realistic, even if they brought it, they might strip it like the dc5r. plus sales wont be as great since majority of the population would just buy the normal civic. Honda wont make a profit at all if any for the type Rs...and unfortunately, Business is all about PROFIT these days

crx51
30-03-2007, 07:59 AM
seriously guys, all these talk bout JDM hotness and UK hatch isnt any as good.

i think we should be glad that Honda Aus is even bringing in a type R.

^^ i mean comon dude. the hatch is so different it still looks like a concept car.

personally i love the jdm with all its goodies. but be realistic, even if they brought it, they might strip it like the dc5r. plus sales wont be as great since majority of the population would just buy the normal civic. Honda wont make a profit at all if any for the type Rs...and unfortunately, Business is all about PROFIT these days

^^^Must say i agree entirely with this^^^
Would be great to have the choice of either but at least we have the choice of one of them. Just one thing, did anyone else find it hard to believe the brake size claim or did they just make a typo? 17inches?? 430mm?? Surely they couldnt fit inside an 18inch wheel. Im assuming it was a typo yeah? Closer to 12inch id imagine...

amato2
30-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Sorry guys i am just getting fired up..... would really really love it if Honda brought both here and not just the one, becuase they are both equaly different cars and truly show how Honda are always trying to make something different and out of the ordinary. either way both cars are extremly HOT stuff the GTI and WRX these too babies are going to fly.

cameltree
30-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Mugen already has done some work on it.

More info and pics here (http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-468-Honda+Civic+Type-R+By+Mugen.html)

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news_pics/468/news.jpg

cameltree
30-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Apparently, delivery is already on the way to dealers.

More photos here (http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-466-Japanese+Civic+Type+R....+in+the+WILD+%21+%28Scoop %29.html).

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news_pics/466/gallery/Civic_Type_R_8.jpg

amato2
30-03-2007, 09:53 AM
i think we should just see t ohear from word fron honda if its coming here to australia, i mean it only come out in japan a couple of days ago

Blody hell though Honda is doing some gr8 work...

i heard on some other forums over in the UK that thye might be bringing out a light weight version of the hatch R....that would awesome

K24A
30-03-2007, 10:21 AM
omg..luv da ivtec guage ..LOL!!

Chuckz
30-03-2007, 10:26 AM
i rather have this type r than the hatch 1 frm UK, this 1 is hot

**Ghost**
30-03-2007, 12:39 PM
anyone else reckons this type R would inspire the owners of civic sports / VTi sedan owners like the Ek9 and ek4 did for the Gli/Cxi owners?

amato2
30-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah i think it would which is pretty cool cause then there will be alot more after market support, for the standard civic and the type R version, i mean performance wise........

aaronng
30-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Then why didn't you buy the Thai-built Civic? They look the same :p

blk_shadow
30-03-2007, 03:38 PM
originally civic type r is a hatch tho.

SiR
30-03-2007, 05:23 PM
i reckon the interior of the hatch looks better than the sedan version.

chunky
30-03-2007, 06:14 PM
fark thats hottttttttttttttttt!

bigteethygrin
30-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Sooo... the sedan is built in Japan and the Hatch is built in the UK?? is that right??

egads
30-03-2007, 11:44 PM
correct

mr173
31-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Yes, me too, I will buy a JDM Type R stright away too if available, Now I already rather not to buy the UK's Type R and spend the money to keep on invest into my EK4 to get more racing feel.

mm... I feel that UK's Type R is not the real Type R that it was fasmous for but it still a good sport car but little bit overpriced.

JDM Type R is really building on it's racing heritage, that's the different for me!

DreadAngel
31-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Don't matter, at least Australia is even getting a Type R :D

Hatch or Sedan is great, both is even better for us but probably not terribly healthy for Honda Aust lol

zedevan
31-03-2007, 05:29 PM
as someone else pointed out

"18-inch tires and large 17-inch front disc brakes contribute to the Civic Type R’s ability to push the performance envelope"

isn't possible, and puts the whole article in the category of "load of crap"

mayb the caliper comes out to a diameter of 17"'s? if that makes it better, mayb i should get some metal welded to my calipers to make it have a larger diameter? what u all think? in all seriousness are there any 18" rims which have an internal clearance of 17"s?

tengsta
01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
could this type r be imported like the ep3?

DreadAngel
01-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I doubt it because its got something identical to it offered in Australia. To be imported under SEVS, it has to be unique to Australia, still there might be a slim chance :)

aaronng
01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Almost zero chance under SEVS because of the current Civic Sport. However, if Honda Australia decides to bring it in. :)

panda[cRx]
02-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry guys i am just getting fired up..... would really really love it if Honda brought both here and not just the one, becuase they are both equaly different cars and truly show how Honda are always trying to make something different and out of the ordinary. either way both cars are extremly HOT stuff the GTI and WRX these too babies are going to fly.

we are a country of 20million people, we just dont have the market for it

slipangle
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
do you think that if enough people email them regarding getting this civic honda australia will do it....what if we could get enough people to show interest in it do you think that honda would go for it... i mean SP23 hatch and sedan are here so why cant honda bring down the JDM civic here too which i might add would be cheaper to get here than the hatch...my thoughts anyways

If someone starts a movement to do this, I'll sign it.

Would much rather pay for the JDM sedan than the UK CTR

bizee_1
12-04-2007, 04:41 AM
I just read this in 'Honda Newswire', don't know if anyone else has posted it.
But thought why not post it anyway.

http://www.civictyper.com.au/

There is footage of Jenson Button test driving it, and even a TOPGEAR article where "The Stig" rates it as the #1 hot hatch out of 30 other hot hatches.

aaronng
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
That's from about a month ago.

vertex_s15
25-04-2007, 10:54 AM
think the 4 door looks much better than the hatch which is a surprise from previous models where hatch always dominates

Chuckz
29-04-2007, 10:26 PM
should drop the hatch and bring in the sedan

blk_shadow
29-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I think its because the trend of hot hatches and small cars are getting higher in demand in OZ.

thereby to push the sales, they will bring in the hatch instead.

aaronng
30-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I think its because the trend of hot hatches and small cars are getting higher in demand in OZ.

thereby to push the sales, they will bring in the hatch instead.

When Honda Australia made the decision to bring in the CTR, only the UK's 2 door hatch was available. The 4-door JDM was still only a prototype.

blk_shadow
06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
it's funny how Japs don't get it first. and Uk is first to get it. Wonder if UK sells alot more CTR than in Japan.

aaronng
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
it's funny how Japs don't get it first. and Uk is first to get it. Wonder if UK sells alot more CTR than in Japan.

It's because this UK CTR was designed, developed and manufactured in the UK. :)

blk_shadow
07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
It's because this UK CTR was designed, developed and manufactured in the UK. :)

I see, so it is designed there as well....

aaronng
08-05-2007, 02:00 AM
I see, so it is designed there as well....

Yup, the Japanese wouldn't be caught dead designing a Civic that looked like a space ship. Having said that, the UK CTR does look nice. Different from the old boring standard shape.

blk_shadow
10-05-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah, similar with what Acura did with the accord concept and the others

Mazda still sticks with the 'very japanese' design with all the concepts.

slipangle
12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, it looks like the UK will get the option of either car now. Lucky buggers.

Given EVO's reach and influence, I think everyone will catch on with how much more superior the Japanese offering is than their locally made version.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/208387/honda_civic_typer.html

aaronng
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, it looks like the UK will get the option of either car now. Lucky buggers.

Given EVO's reach and influence, I think everyone will catch on with how much more superior the Japanese offering is than their locally made version.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/208387/honda_civic_typer.html

Nice! Too bad over here we have the silly rule to "protect" the local car distributors.

slipangle
13-05-2007, 12:31 PM
What's more dissappointing in this instance is the local car distrubutor (Honda Aus) in this case and their disdain for the intelligence of enthusiasts who want to see genuine performance cars from Honda available in this country which they clearly exhibit are able to produce (in Japan).

My only theory is that the majority buying public can be swayed by the compromised technical solution the UK version represents because the people forking out for these cars care little for whether the car is 1300+ kgs, has no LSD, no independant rear suspension, and, from my perception at least, to be a product of being more marketing led that the engineering led company I want Honda to be.

Maybe Honda Aus has done their research with the conclusion that the buying public do care little for the integrity of the Type R brand which has dictated the course of action relating to the ultimate decision to bring the UK CTR. After all, they did hoodwink us with the AUS DC5 Type R. If Australians will settle for "near enough is good enough", then we only have ourselves to blame for not motivating the local distributor to offer us their best efforts, people will buy whatever we get regardless.

I'm sure the price (to the consumer) of making it available would have been a factor too, but from my perspective, I would rather pay a little more for the JDM sedan than the UK car.

Slowly, my enthusiasm for Honda as an exciting car company is being slowly eroded as the local car distributor does little to keep stoking the fire.

blk_shadow
13-05-2007, 05:23 PM
What's more dissappointing in this instance is the local car distrubutor (Honda Aus) in this case and their disdain for the intelligence of enthusiasts who want to see genuine performance cars from Honda available in this country which they clearly exhibit are able to produce (in Japan).

My only theory is that the majority buying public can be swayed by the compromised technical solution the UK version represents because the people forking out for these cars care little for whether the car is 1300+ kgs, has no LSD, no independant rear suspension, and, from my perception at least, to be a product of being more marketing led that the engineering led company I want Honda to be.

Maybe Honda Aus has done their research with the conclusion that the buying public do care little for the integrity of the Type R brand which has dictated the course of action relating to the ultimate decision to bring the UK CTR. After all, they did hoodwink us with the AUS DC5 Type R. If Australians will settle for "near enough is good enough", then we only have ourselves to blame for not motivating the local distributor to offer us their best efforts, people will buy whatever we get regardless.

I'm sure the price (to the consumer) of making it available would have been a factor too, but from my perspective, I would rather pay a little more for the JDM sedan than the UK car.

Slowly, my enthusiasm for Honda as an exciting car company is being slowly eroded as the local car distributor does little to keep stoking the fire.

just need to find someone who can bring it in an comply it here.

aaronng
13-05-2007, 05:55 PM
just need to find someone who can bring it in an comply it here.

Unfortunately, the JDM CTR is not compliable here. It's not in the SEVS because we already have the Civic Sport. Only way is through a private import.

TypeRice
24-05-2007, 02:17 PM
what happend to that concept type r civic which looked like a bug?
r they selling them in europe only or something?

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14914/honda_civic_type-r-4-L.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14914/honda_civic_type-r-1-L.jpg

blk_shadow
25-05-2007, 06:23 PM
what happend to that concept type r civic which looked like a bug?
r they selling them in europe only or something?

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14914/honda_civic_type-r-4-L.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14914/honda_civic_type-r-1-L.jpg

that's the one we got here

pkn
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Mate I'm probably going to open up a can of worms here, but its a forum, so what the heck.

I think you're missing the point of the whole 'Type R' philosophy here. When making a Type R, there are certain key characteristics:
-racing - exhilarating experience
-involvement - driver should feel part of the machine (sound, response, handling)
-not just speed - focus in gear change quality, braking, steering & handling
-pure - driving should not be diluted or interefered with by over-intrusive driving aids
-engineering - different approach to design & development
-normally aspirated - whats the point of silly power figures
-torsional rigidity - balance & adjustability
-simple technology - why rely on electronic gadgetry?

It is my perception that the CTR has been built to these characteristics.

The reason for leaving out the torsion beam suspension is to increase the rigidity during cornering, improving handling through tighter bends. It comes back to these key characteristics.

aaronng
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
The reason for leaving out the torsion beam suspension is to increase the rigidity during cornering, improving handling through tighter bends. It comes back to these key characteristics.

Not really. The reason is because the UK designed Civic borrowed its platform from the Jazz. Since the CTR we are getting is based on the UK Civic, it has the torsion beam suspension.

You don't want your rear suspension to end up being non-independent because any bumps experienced mid-corner by one wheel will be transmitted to the other wheel, causing the rear to lose traction. Fine if you want to drift (butt drag), but not if you want to stay in control.

pkn
08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Not really. The reason is because the UK designed Civic borrowed its platform from the Jazz. Since the CTR we are getting is based on the UK Civic, it has the torsion beam suspension.

You don't want your rear suspension to end up being non-independent because any bumps experienced mid-corner by one wheel will be transmitted to the other wheel, causing the rear to lose traction. Fine if you want to drift (butt drag), but not if you want to stay in control.

Ahh I see. Interesting point. Seeing as it is a 3dr hatch, do you think that the engineers perhaps believed that because of the shorter wheelbase they went with the torsion beam suspension?

aaronng
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Ahh I see. Interesting point. Seeing as it is a 3dr hatch, do you think that the engineers perhaps believed that because of the shorter wheelbase they went with the torsion beam suspension?

They usually go for rear torsion bar suspension so that boot width is maximised. If you look at cars with rear multilink, boot width is reduced by the intrusion of the suspension cavity. On my Euro, the rear boot width is worse than in our old Astra sedan (which as rear torsion beam suspension)

slipangle
09-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Mate I'm probably going to open up a can of worms here, but its a forum, so what the heck.

I think you're missing the point of the whole 'Type R' philosophy here. When making a Type R, there are certain key characteristics:
-racing - exhilarating experience
-involvement - driver should feel part of the machine (sound, response, handling)
-not just speed - focus in gear change quality, braking, steering & handling
-pure - driving should not be diluted or interefered with by over-intrusive driving aids
-engineering - different approach to design & development
-normally aspirated - whats the point of silly power figures
-torsional rigidity - balance & adjustability
-simple technology - why rely on electronic gadgetry?

It is my perception that the CTR has been built to these characteristics.

As mentioned earlier, the rear susp setup on the UK car is a packaging consideration as opposed to an best case engineering solution. This speaks volumes about the execution of this particular "Type R" model.

I agree that Type R is not defined by its power figures or gadgetry, it's all about the driving experience. Electric variable power steering on the UK CTR is not the ideal setup for feel, which most of us would agree is a large contributor to involvement... and is one of the criticisms of the UK car by credible journalists.

The team behind the UK car has publicly stated that one of aims for their car was to make it a more comfortable offering as not everone wanted the "hardcore" experience...if that's the case, call it a Type S!. Type R's SHOULD be hardcore, dilution of this philosophy dilutes the Type R brand we know and love.

On all the points you've mentioned, I would rather spend my $40k+ on the Japanese car as a more effective execution of those items.

rosso
25-06-2007, 05:38 PM
i want them engines on my 98 haha

kevster
26-06-2007, 10:44 AM
The new ctr is soft, not a real drivers car, the rear end is a big sticking point with me its cheap and nasty to build, no double wishbones, dead feel about it. until they build a car similar to what went into making my dc2 type r i wont be getting one.

sitta
27-06-2007, 04:24 PM
it u say this ctr is soft than what do you call the gti? a pillow?

aaronng
27-06-2007, 10:45 PM
The new ctr is soft, not a real drivers car, the rear end is a big sticking point with me its cheap and nasty to build, no double wishbones, dead feel about it. until they build a car similar to what went into making my dc2 type r i wont be getting one.

Go drive one first before making judgements like that. The JDM CTR has front Macpherson struts, which pales when compared to the DC2's double wishbone. Are you going to say that the JDM CTR is crap compared to the DC2R just based on suspension? (BTW, JDM CTR is faster than a DC2R on Suzuka)

madella
28-06-2007, 10:13 AM
when is ctr coming out?

UNLS1
29-06-2007, 05:03 PM
when is ctr coming out?

lol read the civic thread.

official release is 2nd of july

but its out now, people are buying them and driving them.