PDA

View Full Version : semi slicks for stock 15's

IEVAQ8
29-03-2007, 10:44 PM
hey guys i knwo this thread has been covered before somewhere
but i need some semi slicks for every day driving and the occasional 1/4 mile and track day
the best tyre for no more than $600 a pair
i'm only gonna put them on the front and i want the widest size for standard dc2 type r 15inch wheels

barefootbonzai
29-03-2007, 10:50 PM
205/50/15 - Advan A048's :thumbsup:

free2d
29-03-2007, 11:01 PM
How about Toyo R888?

preludacris
30-03-2007, 06:36 PM
i think the falken range of semi's are a harder compound, so might be a compromise between street, and takn it to the strip.

BlueSiR
30-03-2007, 06:43 PM
BS RE55!!! just under $300
or Falken AZENIS for $200 if u can find some

IEVAQ8
31-03-2007, 12:13 AM
thankx for the feed back, but is 205 the widest that will fit???
has anyone got any wider????

aimre
31-03-2007, 09:12 AM
195/50 r 15 toyo r888 can be had for <$150 from tempe

fatboyz39
31-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Are you f**kin serz dude? thats cheap!:thumbsup:

Mr_will
31-03-2007, 09:30 AM
from what i can see on the toyo site the r888 and r881 are not designed with wet roads in mind. the ra-1 on the other hand claims to give good wet performance.

anyone ever tried the ra-1's? are they more/less expensive than the r888's

.::F[L]Y::.
31-03-2007, 09:42 AM

yeh i heard about this too. but apperently its old stock...

for those who are fussy they often wouldnt touch semis which would be sitting in the warehouse for prolonged periods of time.

EG5
31-03-2007, 09:43 AM

very old tyres , check the manufacture date LOL

EG5
31-03-2007, 09:45 AM
from what i can see on the toyo site the r888 and r881 are not designed with wet roads in mind. the ra-1 on the other hand claims to give good wet performance.

anyone ever tried the ra-1's? are they more/less expensive than the r888's

Ra1 / R888 are basicly similar in pricing.

Both not very good in wet as they are designed for circuit use , but you still can use it for abit of road use

Mr_will
31-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Ra1 / R888 are basicly similar in pricing.

Both not very good in wet as they are designed for circuit use , but you still can use it for abit of road use

well ill be the first to admit that i havent tried either of these tyres, but the description of the ra-1's says

"the tread pattern and compound also provide exceptional performance on wet tracks and light-weight vehicles."

whereas the r888 says

"Motor sport tyre with low void ratio for optimum dry grip."

so obviously it wouldnt be to flash in the wet.

semi's seem like a good alternative for those of us who dont drive much (i do around 70ks a week) so wear is not a problem, but i doubt too many people would want to compromise performance in the wet.

Mr_will
31-03-2007, 10:24 AM
also got this from the toyo site:

When compared to high performance or ultra-high performance tyres, when used on public roads, Toyo motor sport radials will:

1. have comparatively poor ride comfort. Toyo motor sport radials have a steel sidewall ply to minimise sidewall deflection for optimum cornering grip.

2. be susceptible to "tram-lining" / "tracking". The casing stiffness provided by the steel sidewall ply and wide belt packages used on Toyo motor sport radials make them susceptible to tram-lining caused by road irregularities common on public roads.

3. have faster tread wear. The tread compounds used on Toyo motor sport radials provide much higher grip levels compared to high performance or ultra-high performance tyres rather than long tread life.

4. be slippery when cold. Due to the tread compounds & construction types, grip levels will be low until the tyres have had some warming-up. This will be especially noticeable in cold and / or rainy conditions.

5. be susceptible to aquaplaning when used with low tread depths (3 -1.5mm) on wet roads, especially in heavy rain conditions. Users need to exercise caution in these conditions with careful monitoring of vehicle speed to avoid aquaplaning. The Trampio R1R pattern is the exception. The Trampio R1R has a void ratio that makes it resistant to aquaplaning. For more information on wet road grip and aquaplaning, click here.

if this is correct, it'd seem like the t1r, or another high performance street tyre would be the wise choice, over semis, for street driving.

CTR Coupe
31-03-2007, 02:34 PM
if this is correct, it'd seem like the t1r, or another high performance street tyre would be the wise choice, over semis, for street driving.

i would not be running semi's on the road.
1. when they are cold they aren't very good.
2. wet weather forget about it
3. i would only run semi's for track/drag days
4. i would only run them on the front if i was drag racing as only having semi's on the front upsets the balance of the car.
A lot of people on here can talk from experience with unbalanced cars from having different grip levels on the front compared to the rear.

a set of high performance street tires like Yoko AVS ES100 or equivalent would be a better choice.

race tires are like race brake pads. great for CONTROLLED conditions but in unpredictable conditions like normal road driving they are worse/more dangerous than normal road tires or brake pads.

fishman
31-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Mr_will

Wow , You just gave a lecture to someone who actually sell toyo semis .

aimre
31-03-2007, 06:21 PM
4. i would only run them on the front if i was drag racing as only having semi's on the front upsets the balance of the car.
A lot of people on here can talk from experience with unbalanced cars from having different grip levels on the front compared to the rear.

You cant even run them semis for track (well not too well). There sidewalls are too stiff for drag racing. Much better of getting a set of slicks MADE for drag racing

Mr_will
01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr_will

Wow , You just gave a lecture to someone who actually sell toyo semis .

nope, i just copied and pasted something i found on the toyo site, before which i freely admitted that i hadnt tried any of the tyres i was talking about.

im just like the OP, trying to figure out which tyres are the best buy.

no need to jump to conclusions fishman

IEVAQ8
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
well, i basically want them for really only drag racing every now and then, for the fron only, but i want them to fit the stock wheels as i have 17's for day to day and want to be able to put them on and drive to the track, race and drive home.....

Zilli
01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
i would very seriously consider the effects of putting only slicks on the front, i know your talking about only driving to the runs, but even then your compromising the balance and safety of your car under an unexpected situation... try it, when you get them, put them on and try to swerve and brake.... buy your rear end suspension componentry before you do this.

on a lighter note, ive had my falken azenis "semi slicks" for about a year and half now, ive only put 5000kms on them... and i can honestly say i havent had a better tyre. The only thing i dont like is the width, they are a 205 and they balloon a little too much for my liking, which doesnt give the instant snappy response of the original 195's. THey are almost unfallable on te street, and did pretty damn well at wakefield... i couldnt imagine how much more sticky real semi's would be

the new design rt615 does come in a 195 so i look forward to changing one day...

Mr_will
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
i would very seriously consider the effects of putting only slicks on the front, i know your talking about only driving to the runs, but even then your compromising the balance and safety of your car under an unexpected situation... try it, when you get them, put them on and try to swerve and brake.... buy your rear end suspension componentry before you do this.

on a lighter note, ive had my falken azenis "semi slicks" for about a year and half now, ive only put 5000kms on them... and i can honestly say i havent had a better tyre. The only thing i dont like is the width, they are a 205 and they balloon a little too much for my liking, which doesnt give the instant snappy response of the original 195's. THey are almost unfallable on te street, and did pretty damn well at wakefield... i couldnt imagine how much more sticky real semi's would be

the new design rt615 does come in a 195 so i look forward to changing one day...

hows the wet performance of these azenis?

CTR Coupe
01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
You cant even run them semis for track (well not too well). There sidewalls are too stiff for drag racing. Much better of getting a set of slicks MADE for drag racing

i thought of that after i posted.
I'm not a person thats into drag racing anyone want to make some suggestions about drag radials that fit stock wheels?
I'm sure you could throw the drag slicks in the boot and put them on when you get to the track and take them off to go home. Just have a mates car to store the jack etc for your runs so you don't have to leave it laying around the pits.

the only semis i've had experience with is the Yoko/Advan A048. its the control tire for the Aussie race car series. great tire. but this is for circuit racing so not ideal for what you want to do with it.

its always best to buy something suited to the application.

Zilli
01-04-2007, 07:19 PM
hows the wet performance of these azenis?

i dont really make a point of driving like a maniac in the wet, but i have to say they are actually really good. Ive still got about 75 or 80% tread, i have read and heard that they get sketchy with time when they wear down.

Put it this way, when i got out to wakey, i was lapping my mate in a r32, heavily modified, but that was partly due to the fact that he has about 300rwkw

i was throwing it around with NO PROBLEM... into corners with decent braking pressure, with minimal ABS triggering, good response, slight understeer but LSD pulls you back in

they get really warm, so when they are warm theres no problem

but like i said, they are a good tyre in the wet, i always scrub speed in the wet anyway, but i havent had issues with aquaplaning or loss of control at all

aimre
01-04-2007, 11:10 PM
well, i basically want them for really only drag racing every now and then, for the fron only, but i want them to fit the stock wheels as i have 17's for day to day and want to be able to put them on and drive to the track, race and drive home.....

Well dont get any of the above mentioned semi's. They have a hard sidewall for circuit racing, and dont want to deform when u lower the pressure. Get Drag racing semi slicks, from M/T or Hoosier, or full slicks, and change there.

Notice how the side walls on a drag tyre flex
http://www.draglist.com/photoimages/Photos-RayRay/Full%20Size/junglejim74launch.jpg

This will absorb the initial jolt when you launch, and reduce tire spin and wheel hop.

free2d
05-04-2007, 12:45 AM
what is the treadwear of R888?

aimre
07-04-2007, 11:40 PM
i would not be running semi's on the road.
1. when they are cold they aren't very good.

Arent they still better cold than your avg street tyre?

gelo
08-04-2007, 01:09 AM
BS RE55!!! just under $300
or Falken AZENIS for $200 if u can find some

300 a pair?
more like for one

IEVAQ8
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
i have actually changed my thoughts
i'm gonna be using the semi slicks for every day driving right around on all 4's i'm not buying rims for the car, so......
who can give me reaponse to semis for every day and the occasional track day......???????????

Mr_will
09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
i have actually changed my thoughts
i'm gonna be using the semi slicks for every day driving right around on all 4's i'm not buying rims for the car, so......
who can give me reaponse to semis for every day and the occasional track day......???????????

dude have you been reading this thread at all?

IEVAQ8
14-04-2007, 08:31 AM
hey barefootbonzai,
you mentioned the AO48's do you have them and what kind of driving do you do with them?????
i want them for everyday driving, are they a noisy tyre and do they have good wear??????
how long do you think they would last on the street?????

IEVAQ8
14-04-2007, 08:32 AM
ofcourse i have been reading the thread...........why would you say that?????????

zco
14-04-2007, 08:48 AM
i got some falken azenis rt215 205/50

200pair. has at least 85% tread on it

barefootbonzai
14-04-2007, 11:22 AM
hey barefootbonzai,
you mentioned the AO48's do you have them and what kind of driving do you do with them?????
i want them for everyday driving, are they a noisy tyre and do they have good wear??????
how long do you think they would last on the street?????

yeah, wear rate is bad compared to true street tyres, but normal for a semi slick. You'll get only a couple of months out of them if you're gonna drive daily on street. Noise is pretty good, but then again my car is quite noisy so i don't really notice the tyre noise.

barefootbonzai
15-04-2007, 01:11 AM
yeah i think your tyre place is quite right.

IEVAQ8
15-04-2007, 01:14 AM
so how many kms do you reackon i would get out of them driving on the street, my mate at a tyre place reackons no more than about 9000 kms

IEVAQ8
15-04-2007, 09:29 AM
zco have you only got 2??????