PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauges

sitta
29-03-2007, 11:48 PM
i feel like getting them to have in my car, oil pressure, oil temperature gauges. THey look great if you have them in your car but is it really necessary to look at the oil pressure and temperature of a stock car??

Mr_will
30-03-2007, 12:17 AM
.no..

aimre
30-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Depends... any mods that tap into oil lines.... then possibly

DLO01
30-03-2007, 06:10 AM
i feel like getting them to have in my car, oil pressure, oil temperature gauges. THey look great if you have them in your car but is it really necessary to look at the oil pressure and temperature of a stock car??

Its not 'absolutley' nessasary, but.....

For a stock car and any car for that matter 'Oil Pressure' is extremly important and a gauge is better than the stock 'indication light' hands down. "A gauge supplies you with more information than one light".

I think the stock light only comes on at basically no pressure, like 5 psi or so. By then your engine will probably be stuffed. With a guage you will know 'what are normal pressures' and you can address the situation if theres somthing different, (turn off the engine etc).

Oil temp not important on a stock 'road' car.

turbo convert
30-03-2007, 08:06 AM
100 % agree with DLO01:thumbsup:

sitta
30-03-2007, 12:03 PM
looks cool haha

aaronng
30-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Oil pressure is pretty useful. Even the MX-5 all the way back from the 1st model came with an oil pressure gauge.

poid
30-03-2007, 12:13 PM
i agree, i think its very useful. Firstly, you'll get a lot more warning than the stock "warning light"

Secondly, you can see when your car comes up to full operating temperature by noting what the oil pressure is when it is 100% warmed up. Oil pressure falls as oil temperature rises, so when the oil is at operating temperature the pressure will stabilise (ie it will be stable at idle, and while it rises with rpm it will be the same at a given rpm...while it is warming up the pressure will be gradually dropping at any given rpm).

Its a good idea to wait until the oil is up to temp before thrashing the car, so the oil pessure gauge is a good thing to have.

aimre
30-03-2007, 01:24 PM
VL's have one factory, well the turbo calais did

AsH_
30-03-2007, 07:32 PM
VL's have one factory, well the turbo calais did

bloody VL's...

most ppl ive seen with VL turbos bag jap cars...

but they running a Nissan engine...

aimre
31-03-2007, 12:27 AM
bloody VL's...

No they dont. Well none of my mates do.

They like all cars, except NA 4cyl... lol

AsH_
31-03-2007, 01:39 AM
bloody VL's...

No they dont. Well none of my mates do.

They like all cars, except NA 4cyl... lol

http://www.turboclub.com/turbocars/gm/GMH/gmh_vl.html

Factory specs for Australian VL Commodore Turbo's are:

Engine: Nissan RB30ET 3.0Ltr EFI SOHC six cylinder.
Power: 150Kw @ 5600 RPM
EFI: Nissan
Exhaust: 2 1/4 inch.
Turbo: TO-3 non intercooled. Boost: 7PSI
Trans: Jatco 4spd Automatic Stall: 2,200RPM or 5 Speed Manual.
Diff: RWD Borg Warner 4 Pinion, 28 Spline LSD. 3.45:1 (also available in NON-LSD 4 pinion)
Tyres: 205x65x15
Performance:
16.1 secs per 1/4 mile in Auto Trans car, 15.5 in Manual equipped car.

----------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VL_Commodore

"Many Holden fans still consider the 1986 VL Commodore the best Commodore ever built while some complain that its styling too similar to Japanese cars of the same period. It was the last of the narrow-body Commodores and the only one to feature an OHC engine — an alloy headed 3.0 L RB30E unit designed and manufactured by Nissan."

BoOM HeaDshOT !!!

You got PWNED !!!

aimre
31-03-2007, 01:52 AM
lol... Umm, i know they run a SOHC version of the rb30. Dude, i grew up with this car. I was refering to how they bag out jap cars. Which they dont, no one i know with a VL (at least 20 people) bag out jap cars, and either move on to other jap cars (or an xr6t) or have moved from a jap car to a VL.

Thats why i said

No they dont. Well none of my mates do. Refering to none of my mates hating jap cars.
I probably should have made myself clearer. My bad

aimre
31-03-2007, 01:57 AM
O yeah, If u look closley on a VL's exhaust manifold, there a nissan badge on it... i bet u didnt know that!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/aimre/CIMG0787.jpg

sitta
31-03-2007, 09:48 AM
i agree, i think its very useful. Firstly, you'll get a lot more warning than the stock "warning light"

Secondly, you can see when your car comes up to full operating temperature by noting what the oil pressure is when it is 100% warmed up. Oil pressure falls as oil temperature rises, so when the oil is at operating temperature the pressure will stabilise (ie it will be stable at idle, and while it rises with rpm it will be the same at a given rpm...while it is warming up the pressure will be gradually dropping at any given rpm).

Its a good idea to wait until the oil is up to temp before thrashing the car, so the oil pessure gauge is a good thing to have.

nice, i didnt know that tnx:D

AsH_
31-03-2007, 07:35 PM
lol... Umm, i know they run a SOHC version of the rb30. Dude, i grew up with this car. I was refering to how they bag out jap cars. Which they dont, no one i know with a VL (at least 20 people) bag out jap cars, and either move on to other jap cars (or an xr6t) or have moved from a jap car to a VL.

Thats why i said

Refering to none of my mates hating jap cars.
I probably should have made myself clearer. My bad

lol, dw... i was just bored at work...

night shift...

got nothing else to do...

aimre
01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
lol, dw... i was just bored at work...

night shift...

got nothing else to do...

No headshot for u!!

BTW, watch out for that VL in that pic. Gonna be NSW fasted Manual VL

AsH_