PDA

View Full Version : DC2/4 Antenna broke down

jay-bee'z
31-03-2007, 04:40 PM
As the title says my elec. antenna broke down [R.I.P.] (makes a winding noise when ignition goes on/off but ariel dosen't move anymore).

Now my question is, at the moment its like half extended and stuck - I want to push it right back down (cause its an ugly son of a..) but its stuck!

Is there any harm in trying to force it down? (I don't want to break off!).

fasin8
31-03-2007, 05:19 PM
i forced mine down without issues

JamB
31-03-2007, 05:24 PM
i forced mine down as well , try spray some crc around the gaps

then BAM just try not to bend it

sml-089
01-04-2007, 08:46 AM
if it broke then why does it matter if u break the aerial? u could remove it and just get a universal one from repco or somewhere like that. picked mine up for $11.50 and looks similar to the s200 ones. rubbery so it can be broken.

jay-bee'z
01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
if it broke then why does it matter if u break the aerial? u could remove it and just get a universal one from repco or somewhere like that. picked mine up for $11.50 and looks similar to the s200 ones. rubbery so it can be broken.

Because if I decide to get it properly repaired (If I happen to sell the car etc.) I don't want it to be competely snapped in half. At this stage I want it to collapse inside itself so it sits flush.

how does the universal go with fitting in the existing hole, does it fit nice & snug?

sml-089
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
yes it fits extremely well, it kind of has a large tip which covers over any gaps anyway. if u wanna keep the standard on though, disconnect it from the inside, by taking out the inside plastic cover and disconnecting the wiring coming out of it

Kazaf
02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
MY one was exactly the same.

Wouldnt go down and would always stay at half way.

I couldnt force it. just get an s2k style antenna.
Looks better too
that's what i ended up doing.

jay-bee'z
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
My one was exactly the same.

Wouldnt go down and would always stay at half way.

I couldnt force it.

Yeh I cant force mine aye, tried it.. used WD40 on it. won't budge

Bludger
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
the antenna motor is still working, sounds like its very repairable, try taking it apart, only a lil bit of mechanical competancy is need to fix lil things like that

2o2y
13-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey, first post here for me! I recently bought a DC2 and it has the same problem, the antenna is 'stuck up' and it's p*ssing me off! Does anybody know where i can buy a S2000 style antenna from? I'm in Adelaide. Any help would be appreciated!

zpreme
14-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey, first post here for me! I recently bought a DC2 and it has the same problem, the antenna is 'stuck up' and it's p*ssing me off! Does anybody know where i can buy a S2000 style antenna from? I'm in Adelaide. Any help would be appreciated!

i would like to know this too! i want one

BlackITR
14-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Without sounding like a know all. Maybe Honda spares may have one, or try Honbits in NSW. They ship Oz wide lastime I checked.

iaquinta
16-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I had that problem too; antenna would go up, but would get stuck half way coming down.

Solution: WD40

If you're already using WD40 and it doesnt work, you're not using enough! Literally drench the antenna with the stuff, make sure as much of it as possible goes in between the gaps it retracts in and out of. Set your radio on and off (so it will electronically go up and down) and you should notice gradual improvements when it goes down. Rinse and Repeat until the entire thing manages to collapse into the hole (by way of turning the radio on/off, not forcing it down.)

It could also be that the antenna is bent because of fast driving while it's up. in that case, try to straighten it as much as possible before retracting it.

Hope it helps

haiz
16-04-2007, 07:31 PM
or you guys could do what i did

just grab a hammer and slowly and steadily tap it down, worked for me when my aerial got stuck

now the radio doesnt have the clearest reception though -.-

DOHCVTEC
19-04-2007, 04:39 PM
seems like every old DC2 has the same problem...hahaha

I had the same problem too...

just one question...with the WD40 trick, if you accidentally sprayed some WD40 on ur car's paint, is it gonna cause damage?

Fr3aKi3
19-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I've got the same problem but on my civic, I pulled the antenna apart and the problem is with the internal tracks that pull and push the antenna in and out. On my car the track snapped off and the cog (attached to the motor) wouldn't grab the track to pull it back in.

I called up Honda spareparts centre and a new mast is around 140-$150 depending on which dealership you call. Complete new antenna with motor and all is $600+.... If the antenna is up but you can still hear the motor, then don't try to force it down just in case something breaks.

When I get my replacement mast i'll try and do a write-up.

iaquinta
19-04-2007, 08:05 PM
seems like every old DC2 has the same problem...hahaha

I had the same problem too...

just one question...with the WD40 trick, if you accidentally sprayed some WD40 on ur car's paint, is it gonna cause damage?

As far as I know, WD-40 is just a lubricant. It shouldnt have any chemicals that thinout paint, but im only 70% sure.

Just spray it away from the paint and use a rag to cover the other side and catch the residual.

Easy.

Fr3aKi3
22-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I actually got around to doing the DIY... lol

Link is here:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65226