PDA

View Full Version : dc2r weights?

jksgoh
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
hi,
was thinking of getting a dc2r, but due to vic laws its considered illegal (i think).
anyway i was wondering about the exact weights of the dc2rs? i think its 1084kg? but is that with or without aircon?
and i was also wondering, say for example 1084 was w/o aircon, and aircon was added and was heavy enough so that the power/weight ration was <1.25kw/kg would it make it legal?
or for that matter is it possible to add other "weights" to the car to make it legal?
thanks

STI_WRX
01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
wtf why would an aus delivered car be illegal in vic

jksgoh
01-04-2007, 11:24 AM
sorry, i meant, illegal for a p plater

Diablo6298
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
they wouldn't weigh your car they would just go find the stats about it.
the car is 1087 i believe, thats including everything.
i don't think any cops will harass you, unless you drive like a moron.
my friend, while on his p's, had a turbocharged dc5r the cops pulled him over, and he was driving off 2 minutes later. the Victorian cops are not that bright when it comes right down to numbers.

just buy the dc2r and don't drive like your life depends on it and you wont get pulled over!

jksgoh
01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
ye, good point diablo lol.
will have to go speak to the dealer whos got it then.
just wanted to be on the safe side though ;)

Q_ball
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Type R's are perfectly legal for a P plater to drive.

Diablo6298
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
there aren't legal for p platers
they weigh 1087kg with 141kw, which equates to 130kw per tonne
the limit on p platers is 125kw

TeMp
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
My friend has been fined before (in Vic) for exactly whare you are worried before. He was driving DC5R when he was fined. It dosen't matter if you opt for aircon or what ever as they just go by factory stock weight (so the weight stated on the brocheure).

Diablo6298
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
and its not a cheap fine either, its like $1100.

but like i said before, just don't give them a reason to pull you over, because they wont pull you over for no reason.

xtercii
01-04-2007, 08:50 PM
air con was an option on this car, so 1087kg is without air con...

jksgoh
01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks for the replies.
hmm... guess i'll give vic roads a call in a few days just to clarify the whole aircon thing.
but before i do does anyone know how much extra the aircon weighs?
thanks

Diablo6298
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
about 21kg, so even with air con its 127kw per tonne, just over

Jomsy
02-04-2007, 07:24 AM
De badge it, and re badge it a gsi, nothing anywhere else on the car say's "Type R",

jksgoh
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM
LOL, genius jomsy! might just be the way to go

hayashi_1986
02-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Just be careful...coppers in Vic don't need a reason to pull you over anymore. As long as it's jap and has a decent sized tip (or is loud) they'll pull you over.

It's all because of those assholes at NP macca's...f'ing muzzas.

Be careful when your on Princes Hwy if your ever in the area. Not a good time to get an itchy foot :)

Juzz18
03-04-2007, 01:14 AM
and its not a cheap fine either, its like $1100.

but like i said before, just don't give them a reason to pull you over, because they wont pull you over for no reason.

Don't know what the person who told u that was smoking. Fine is $105 for driving a high powered vehicle on p plates in Melbourne. Look it's a risk but i mean at the end of the day it's a Honda. They're more interested in trying to canary VL turbos, worked skylines, V8 Commos etc.. They don't expect much from NA Honda's.

The rest is basically what everyone else has said. Dont do anything stupid and don't give them a reason to pull you over regardless if they pull you over for a reason or not. Don't look suspicious either.

I drive a dc2r on p's and so far (touch wood) no problems. Coming from mates who drive a xr6 turbo and BMW M Coupe on p's for months with no trouble i really don't see the point in stressing about driving a NA honda. Just take it easy.

_Daniel
03-04-2007, 06:03 AM
I drove my DC2R on P's for about 1.5 years, never got done for power:weight.
and whoever said its a 1k+ fine is talking outta their ass.
It's ~$100 and they don't let you drive it home (ie. towed or get someone to come pick it up)

Diablo6298
03-04-2007, 09:43 AM
vicroads told me, from their website

Penalties
From 1 July 2007 the penalty for driving a high powered vehicle will be three demerit points and a maximum fine of approximately $1100. These penalties will apply to both the current power to weight restrictions and the new high powered vehicles restrictions.

i didnt read it properly and didnt realise it wasnt in affect yet, but its only 3 months away!

bennjamin
03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
maximum penalty depends on circumstances etc. IE 1st offence , repeat offender etc.

teggiboy
04-04-2007, 11:03 AM
driving illegally also voids any insurance claims... if you are not meant to be on the road with this vehicle and u get into an accident, even if you are in the right, insurance will not cover u... so not worth the risk...esp on a dc2r

Juzz18
05-04-2007, 01:11 AM
driving illegally also voids any insurance claims... if you are not meant to be on the road with this vehicle and u get into an accident, even if you are in the right, insurance will not cover u... so not worth the risk...esp on a dc2r

not true there. Depends who you're insured and how you're insured. Need to read policy terms. Didnt happen to me but mate was covered with a car well over what a dc2r is.

EG30
05-04-2007, 04:32 AM
They go by the manufacturer's official figures right? Othewise ppl could ballast the car up and thus reduce the power to weight ratio.

IEVAQ8
05-04-2007, 10:50 PM
just my bit, vic roads and the police are not the same, vic roads says one thing the cops say and do another, dont be fooled by what vic roads says, if you wanna be sure and safe go to a police station and ask........
i drive a yellow type r dc2 and have been pulled overe heaps of times, random check they ask why is your exhaust so lowd i say its leagal the leave me alone......

Juzz18
07-04-2007, 12:14 AM
just my bit, vic roads and the police are not the same, vic roads says one thing the cops say and do another, dont be fooled by what vic roads says, if you wanna be sure and safe go to a police station and ask........
i drive a yellow type r dc2 and have been pulled overe heaps of times, random check they ask why is your exhaust so lowd i say its leagal the leave me alone......

Yeh but are you a P plater though?

Tako
08-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Man, the laws tough over in VIC ~ QLD is still cruisy, until July. n that is very strange that it is illegal due to weight of the car... and weight:power...
or just make it heavier n tell the police it is heavier =) haha~ drive safe n b careful ;)

IEVAQ8
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
ofcourse im a p plater or i wouldnt of said anything

yfin
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I have been trying to find the draft bill to no avail but it does appear the fine from 1 July 2007 in Victoria will be a max of $1100. When a fine is drafted in those terms it usually means a court appearance as the Magistrate needs to determine the amount of the fine. The police can't decide what the amount is - it needs to be set either by legislation, a formula or determined by a Magistrate.

I also notice that P platers will not be permitted to drive ANY vehicle that has an engine modification to increase performance. It doesn't matter if the modification is otherwise legal.

TheFranchise
09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
my 2c on this issue,

would it not be fair(er) on those who have 'high performance cars' while on their P's that you should only be fined if you are caught already breaking the law?

eg. you shouldn't be pulled over and fined if your driving sensibly and not doing anything wrong. (i've heard of guys being flashed to pull over while they were stationary at traffic lights :confused:

while on the other hand, if you've been pulled over for speeing or breaking another road rule, then the police then have the right to fine you for the vehicle because clearly your not responsible enough to have such a car?

thats my view, i know it'll never happen because 'good' drivers, regardless of age, do not get rewarded. but hey, worth a shot.

Juzz18
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
More on this topic...

When will vic roads get it right!! They are hopeless in making these new rules as they really P$#@ people off like me.

According to these rules as of july p platers cannot drive v8's turbos and high performance v6's (determined by a vehicle restricted list)

As that states right there a type r is perfectly legal being a 4cyc NA.

But what about the people who have had their licence before july 07? yes of course they are stuck on the power to weight rule therefore cannot drive a type r.

So correct me if i'm wrong but someone can get their p's after july have 1 days solo driving experience and drive a type r no worries at all when a previous p plater with 1-2 years solo driving experience and a clean record eg fines, suspensions etc.. cannot.

Really unfair stuff up IMO thanks to Vic Roads.

wickedtyper
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
hi guys... i weighed my aus type r on a weigh bridge it is 1140kg stock with abs and air con... with full tank of petrol and all fluids, 1087kg is without fluids.... so ull find we are all heavier :)

IEVAQ8
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
i have weighed my type r on a weigh bridge at 1220 with system, full tank of petrol and me in it i weigh 70kgs

yfin
11-04-2007, 07:16 PM
More on this topic...

When will vic roads get it right!! They are hopeless in making these new rules as they really P$#@ people off like me.

According to these rules as of july p platers cannot drive v8's turbos and high performance v6's (determined by a vehicle restricted list)

As that states right there a type r is perfectly legal being a 4cyc NA.

But what about the people who have had their licence before july 07? yes of course they are stuck on the power to weight rule therefore cannot drive a type r.

So correct me if i'm wrong but someone can get their p's after july have 1 days solo driving experience and drive a type r no worries at all when a previous p plater with 1-2 years solo driving experience and a clean record eg fines, suspensions etc.. cannot.

Really unfair stuff up IMO thanks to Vic Roads.

I agree with you - does anyone know the name of the regulations? It would be good to find some clarity.

In the MX newspaper today there was an advertisement from Vicroads about the changes. It started by saying "If you obtain your P plates after 1 July 2007 these rules apply to you" (or words to that effect). So it seems to suggest the new rules only apply to new P platers... BUT the devil is in the detail which is why we need to see the regulations not advertisements from Vicroads.

Juzz18
11-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I agree with you - does anyone know the name of the regulations? It would be good to find some clarity.

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/c_youngGLS_9.html#2

All the info is listed there.

yfin
12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/c_youngGLS_9.html#2

All the info is listed there.

Yeah that is info but not the regulations unfortunately

Juzz18
12-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah that is info but not the regulations unfortunately

I dont get what your saying? Yes its info but it states as of July it will be enforced.

string
12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
my 2c on this issue,

would it not be fair(er) on those who have 'high performance cars' while on their P's that you should only be fined if you are caught already breaking the law?

eg. you shouldn't be pulled over and fined if your driving sensibly and not doing anything wrong. (i've heard of guys being flashed to pull over while they were stationary at traffic lights :confused:

while on the other hand, if you've been pulled over for speeing or breaking another road rule, then the police then have the right to fine you for the vehicle because clearly your not responsible enough to have such a car?

thats my view, i know it'll never happen because 'good' drivers, regardless of age, do not get rewarded. but hey, worth a shot.
This is all well and good, until you question why someone driving sensibly and not doing anything wrong would possibly want to have a powerful car? And there is no answer. People who modify their cars for more performance are obviously more likely to use it; Why would they modify it otherwise?

Although I don't really agree with the laws stopping people from driving cars like this, I think it will work. When mine is off the road I drive around in a '90 auto camry. Sure, I could speed and break any number of laws in that car but it's no fun, so I just drive like a grandma. Which is the RTA's secret plan for us all!

yfin
12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I dont get what your saying? Yes its info but it states as of July it will be enforced.

I am looking for something put to parliament - ie the law itself - not some commentary by Vicroads which only captures the headlines.

TheFranchise
13-04-2007, 11:04 AM
until you question why someone driving sensibly and not doing anything wrong would possibly want to have a powerful car?

coz having a powerful car doesnt mean you have to be a d*ck on the street.
thats what the track/strip is for! some people also like cars for what the are not for the power the produce.

Eg. the DC2R is a pretty dam good piece of work for a road car but doesnt mean to own one you have to go out and break road rules each time you leave your garage.