PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Portable GPS Unit in Euro

sakinah
01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
i just bought a tomtom 710 but i dont want to mount it on the windscreen as its too far from my view and reach. Just want some ideas on where else to mount it. Also, it has a lot of wires (cig light charger, mic wire, ipod connector), is there a way to integrate it better as it looks messy esp the cig lighter charger as i have to keep the bottom middle compartment open to plug it in.

REV888
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
i just bought a tomtom 710 but i dont want to mount it on the windscreen as its too far from my view and reach. Just want some ideas on where else to mount it. Also, it has a lot of wires (cig light charger, mic wire, ipod connector), is there a way to integrate it better as it looks messy esp the cig lighter charger as i have to keep the bottom middle compartment open to plug it in.

I use a tomtom 710 in my euro I mount it just above on the left oval shape dash. The tomtom 710 has a 4-4.5hr battery life make sure you ac charge it 1st time round.

I personally do not use the cig lit charger I just charge it with the ac adaptor.

sakinah
01-04-2007, 10:41 PM
How did you mount it on the oval shape dash? Where did you get the mount from. I guess i can do away with the cig charger if i just charge it at home at least once a week

E-Gene
01-04-2007, 11:10 PM
My friend just had his Tom Tom 710 stolen from his Euro. The fools, pmsashed his glass and took it from his glove box. They saw the GPS holder and probably knew that there's a GPS somewhere in there.

tron07
02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Mine is inside the center compartment at the moment, fashion a mount to keep it there...... not sure if your GPS can get a signal inside there.

euroflyboy
02-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I have Garmin 660 and mount it on the lid of the centre console CD storage lid. Of course you lose the use of the compartment but it fits perfectly and invisible to prying eyes. The lid is as smooth as glass so the windscreen suction mount will stick to the lid. You can then plug the cigarette adapter into the plug in the centre armrest, you can close the lid OK, the cable just bends over the lip of the armrest compartment.

cdjhitman
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
sounds like this tom tom 710 is the ish?? im lookn for a gps item atm. is that tom tom 710 worth getting??

E-Gene
02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
sounds like this tom tom 710 is the ish?? im lookn for a gps item atm. is that tom tom 710 worth getting??

The TT 710 is exactly like the 910 except that it doesn't have a 20gb harddisk and doesn't read out the street names. But from what I hear from my friend who has the 910, it doesn't read the names properly anyway.

REV888
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
How did you mount it on the oval shape dash? Where did you get the mount from. I guess i can do away with the cig charger if i just charge it at home at least once a week

Its very easy to install over the dash the tomtom 710 comes packaged with a mount.

sendok
03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
at the moment thief is everywhere.. i hate the one that stole somethin from our cars!... GPS, headunit, even Jacket!!!

sakinah
03-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I dont want to put it on the windscreen because its so obvious to a theif. Unfortunately there is no decent mount yet for the 710 but i am going to try and make one

PUNISH_R
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Most common place to mount portable navs is on the right hand side of the drivers side windscreen, top corner or bottom corner of the windscreen.
Most portable navs have an inbuilt antenna in them, so it needs to be in a position were theres nothing obstructing satellite reception, hence the common windscreen suction mounts.
You can probably get an external antenna for the nav, which will allow you to mount it away from the windscreen (away from prying eyes) and still maintain strong satellite reception.

Euro76
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
It's not recommendable to install portable GPS inside any car. This will be the target for the thieves. If you have mounting kit inside your car although you take out the GPS unit with you, they still most likely to smash your car and search for it, leaving a big mess to your car. GPS mounting kit should also be taken off whenever you park.