PDA

View Full Version : compression

jarryd
02-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey guys,girls.

I have just been given a 88 civic and it is blowing a fair bit of smoke, I want to do a compression test on it and what I need to know is if anyone on here knows what the compression should be?

thanks in advance
jarryd

aimre
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Im no expert, but dont they usually work on all the pistons being within a certain percentage of eachother?

bennjamin
02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
the compression tes should keep within +/- 5% of each other to be generally healthy.

dont forget to do it properly - the engine should be WARM and you need to do it with WOT ( wide open throttle) .

dsp26
02-04-2007, 10:08 AM
^^^there is a set factory range for each cylinder dependent on country altitude.

variation tolerance before needing fixing is within 10 for each cylinder... ie if 2 of them are 180 and one is 170 the other 190... then it needs fixing.

If the compression is lower on 2 adjacent cylinders its usually a head gasket thats blown... otherwise individuals are piston ring problems... which can be tested by dropping a bit of oil into the cylinder then doing compression test again. the oil will seal the rings a bit and if the compression goes up then its the rings.

the other problems include stuck valves etc...

***EDIT***
hah got beaten to it.... and yeah WOT is pretty important... not doing so reeeeaaall y affects the result.....