PDA

View Full Version : hot/cold airfilter

z3lda
25-06-2004, 01:21 AM
i jsut installed my new simota twister airfilter kit, i've feed a pipe from behind the front bar to the pod for cold air intake....after going for a 10min drive and a bit of hooning.. :D i went to check my filter and the front half is full on freezing and the other half+pipe is warm.

what is really going into my car. hot air? or cold air?

Weq
25-06-2004, 01:28 AM
as soon as u insroduce metal in the engine bay, it will hold onto heat. Ur cold air is still going to be prety cold, because lucky the intake pipe surface area isnt that large to dissapaite the heat into the air. (such as an intercooler does, the opposite way)

In the end though, unless u get something heat treated or Carbon firbre, thats the best CAI u can get.

SIKCVC
25-06-2004, 01:47 AM
if your stressing about it, you can buy this insulation tape stuff, people use it on there extractors to prevent engine bay temps getting to high, but you can also use it the oposite way and wrap it around your CAI to prevent induction temps from getting to high.

Might make a difference?

geo41e
25-06-2004, 09:26 AM
umm..if l'm correct..the simota twister is like my one..(the big fat wog dick) and its made outta heat resistant plastic or something.....

ATSE
25-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Winter you won't notice much difference. It's summer that will kill you, especially when ur in traffic, the pod will make the car bog like hell... cold feed piping or not. Just get some cardboard and fold it up to design a partition box using the cold feed you added. Then go to Bunnings and buy aluminium sheet and use the cardboard as a design reference. Would be more effective I reckon.

SPEEDCORE
25-06-2004, 10:09 AM
umm..if l'm correct..the simota twister is like my one..(the big fat wog dick) and its made outta heat resistant plastic or something.....

Your dick is plastic??

*cough* STRAP ON *cough*

:P

geo41e
25-06-2004, 10:19 AM
hahahahaha

SPEEDCORE
25-06-2004, 10:20 AM
LOL this is what I like about ozhonda man.... you can joke with people and they actually take it like it is!!!

If only the N/A Vs F/I was this light hearted!! ;)

geo41e
25-06-2004, 10:36 AM
l think i shuld make a heat shield too...and put two cold air feed intakes..

dun wanna die in summer...

it wus sooo bad in summer with my 5th accord,atuo with stainless steel intake
while drivin, with a/c on, it wouldn't take off at alll sometimes..even drvin slow..jus would go (brrrrrr) and creep.

Weq
25-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Winter you won't notice much difference. It's summer that will kill you, especially when ur in traffic, the pod will make the car bog like hell... cold feed piping or not. Just get some cardboard and fold it up to design a partition box using the cold feed you added. Then go to Bunnings and buy aluminium sheet and use the cardboard as a design reference. Would be more effective I reckon.

So u have should wrapp ur intake manifold also?.. cause i got news for u, it obsorbs heat also. The air is going to heat up no matter what. u could make some super heat resist thing but it will make like 1hp atw's because the end result will still heat up ur charge! (unless u have CF everything!). Ur anology in summer is abit flawed also, because general ambient temps are much higher also. If ur feed is near the ground, it will suck up hot air off the bitchumin, if its in the gaurd the air will be stagnent and heat up through the body work while ur in traffic... In the end, hot summer days will make any car feel boggy.

ATSE
25-06-2004, 11:59 AM
no shit it will heat up, but enclosed element will cool down alot faster than an open element will. And temperature in the engine bay will be alot higher than temperature outside man... even in summer, so you'd rather suck air from the outside than from the engine bay. I agree it won't make your car anymroe powerful... but it just makes the car "feel" better. I moved from pod to stock airbox in summer... and it made quite a difference.

z3lda
25-06-2004, 01:11 PM
i've got pvc pipin from the middle front vent of the bumper cuz the del sol doesnt have the two side air vents. i think the charge pipe is either metal or alloy...might wrap that in heat resist tape. then make a box for the filter..cuz i dont think the standard one will fit.

is there a box i can buy for the fitler.? cuz i dont want a dodgy custom made box in the engine bay... cops will classify that as "flammable material" and ill get diks haha

had to my flen..got cannary for having "fammable material" in his engine bay.

SIKCVC
25-06-2004, 03:47 PM
cops will classify that as "flammable material" and ill get diks haha

Nah they wont... go to a steel whole saler like Westys(FTG) or Robot industries (Notting hill) I used 2mm or 2.6 or something, was a **** to bend But end result is a HUGE enclosure which uses the bonet as the seal and sucks are from the gap above the head light and the bonnet and behind the airdam. cost me $15 too make, but becuause i stupidly used really thich metal took me ages to put together, I used pop rivets to hold it all together. very strong, very heat resistant due to the thickness of the metal. Also becuase of the size of the enclosure theres no lag when i plant it...

Its legal becuase it only has to be partitioned from the engine bay and because its mild steel theres no chance in hell of it catching fire hahahaha.

Dont use alluminium... It warms up quicker than most other alloys. It transfers heat like a mofo! That said, I did have alluminium for my last one and it worked alright. looked gey but worked.

Psyklops
25-06-2004, 03:54 PM
[/quote]Dont use alluminium... It warms up quicker than most other alloys. It transfers heat like a mofo! That said, I did have alluminium for my last one and it worked alright. looked gey but worked.[/quote]

one thing about aluminium.....it also cools down more quickly than steel...steel can really hold heat much better than aluminium. Plus it is lighter (aluminium) and easier to work with.....food for thought ;)

egSi
25-06-2004, 04:07 PM
whoa didnt know there were so many people out there that knew about metalurgy.
dang!
ambient tempretures of different ferous and non ferous materials!
yo

lol

wynode
25-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I haven't read all the above posts but just keep in mind that the intake manifold gets most of its heat from the head. Hence one possible upgrade is an insulating gasket between the intame manifold and the head.

In fact someone sells these commercially and did some tests on it.........just don't have the URL to it unfortunately.

ATSE
25-06-2004, 04:32 PM
http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html

Here it is... actually makes the manifold safe to touch after this is installed!

Psyklops
25-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Hmmm stop giving me excuses to spend money ppl!!!! :D :x 8)

fueltank
25-06-2004, 04:38 PM

Here it is... actually makes the manifold safe to touch after this is installed!

damn I wish there was something like thise for the RB25DET :cry:

SIKCVC
25-06-2004, 05:36 PM
whoa didnt know there were so many people out there that knew about metalurgy.
dang!

Lol, just going by what i can remember from year 11 chem. and personal experiences :P

Dvius_Honda
26-06-2004, 06:54 AM
I am using the stock air box with the top removed so the filter is exposed. There is a cosworth style bonnet scoop above the air box which allows cold air straight in and the air box has been raised using a sort of made up spacer so the box sits directly below the scoop instead of in its normal position. It seems to work pretty well but the airfilter gets dirty alot quicker and i have to cover it up in the rain.

z3lda
26-06-2004, 04:03 PM
can u post a pic of ya custom air box sikcvc.
thanx

wynode
26-06-2004, 04:37 PM

damn I wish there was something like thise for the RB25DET :cry:

Not something thats hard to make up. Just find the correct material and i'm sure there will be a machining shop out there to get it done. Maybe organise a group buy and get it cheaper! :)

BTW Thanks for that link....although the Hondata one is not the one I saw :?:

SIKCVC
26-06-2004, 04:42 PM
wouldn't it be a good idea to attempt to cool the intake manifold down? ie bonnet scoop etc? as well as prevent it from getting hot...