PDA

View Full Version : Euro vs 156

Chris84
02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I'm in the processing of looking for a replacement for my Alfa 156. I love the sound, look and feel of the 156, although the reliability and running costs are somewhat less desirable, which brings me to the Accord Euro.

Im interested in hearing from anyone who has come to a Euro from an Alfa, and what your thoughts are on the change and any general comments on owning a Euro.

All opnions appreciated!:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Chris.

EG30
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
which model of 156 are you driving atm?

Chris84
02-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Its the last series of the 156 JTS 2.0 manuals.

tron07
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
156 2.5 6spd manual rawks

ginganggooly
02-04-2007, 04:10 PM
I've not owned an Alfa, but a close mate of mine has one of the twin spark models. It's a world of difference, you'll like the Euro i think.

In terms of driver involvement, it was much of a muchness, with the 156 being slightly less insulated.
the twin spark 2.0l didn't sound any better than the k24, which was a disapointment as i love the v6 alfas. the euro has more power everywhere too. The JTS alfas probably feel alot better than the one i drove.

steering feel was similar, with the alfa having better (heavier) weighting, but the euro being more direct. The shifter in the alfa was awful imo, vague yet notchy, at the same time.
the euro is a tad long in the shift, but very precise and direct.

overall, the euro is a few generations newer, and you can really feel it when you hop directly from one car into the other. The body feels alot tighter, the instuments are much easier to read, the dricing position is more comfy and the materials quality feels a class or two higher.

Suntzu
02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a euro 6 sp. My emplyee has a 156 2.0 JTS manual. Its a great car but the euro is clinically smooth and more powerful. Also the euro has better suspension and handling. That being said the 156 is a beautiful car with the leather interior.

EG30
02-04-2007, 08:21 PM
At least you have the JTS direct injection engine with a lot more grunt than the std twin spark engine that was nothing mroe special than a Pulsar Q engine.

Apart from Styling with Italian flair that is a great point with Alfas, the quality of Momo leather interiors of Alfas makes you feel like you are inside a $200K maserati not a $50K car. The Accord Euro Lux's leather feel plasticky and more like vinyl by comparision.

Other than that the accord's build quality is far better esp in the following areas:

paint finish, esp lack of orange peel in dark coloured cars

HVAC: Air cond works and proper ducts to deliver cool air into the cabin

rust proofing: you won't get rust popping up on the ext door window trim near the B pillar as you do on the 156.

engine longevity: engine won't seize up due to big end bearing failure as they do on the twin spark engine.

electrical: Accord Euro wiring is pretty bulletproof, you won't get engines going into limp mode caused by a faulty sensor or connecters ie like those on the JTS models that are behind the intake manifold.

Having said all that you need to drive an Accord Euro for a period of time to see if it does anything for you, it would have the charming interior and that quirky instrument binnacle that you see everytime you drive the car.

I've been driving my fren's red Alfa 105 last week, as much as it's an ergonomic disaster and driving position is totally crook compared to my BMW 2002 I'm missing it already.

Would you consider a 159? Or you are certain to move away from AR due to reliability and running costs?

Suntzu
02-04-2007, 08:39 PM
BTW my employees 50 000km serivce on his 156 is quoted at $1100-1500 compaered to my euro which is a quarter or less than that.

Chris84
02-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. Alot of good information, all of which is appreciated.

I have considered a 159, but stopped short of driving one due to the heartache and costs that the 156 has led me through. The initial price of the 159 is also a little above what im looking to spend, and thats without factoring in a sunroof or electric seats.

There is much to miss about the 156 for sure, they are a unique and great car in so many ways, but i can only see the reliability going downhill from here, and without much time left with a warranty, its time for it to go sadly.

EG30
03-04-2007, 01:42 AM
I know the feeling, almost bought a well thrashed demo 147 GTA 2-3 years back for $60K on the road with xenon but decided against it at the 11th hr due to reliabity and dealer support concern. Which is just as well as the person who bought it had quite a few dramas with warranty claims with AR Aust and its thirst ( 15-16L/100Km ) wouldn't be too kind to my wallet with fuel prices in the last 2 years.

If you don't mind something used, 2004/5 BMW 318i sport is a very good car with a great engine and well equipped with sports seats, M body kit, M steering wheel and carbon look trim on dash. Next to nothing goes wrong with them for an unmolested one and still be going strong 10+ years on.

albii
03-04-2007, 06:28 AM
i don't think that the 156 measures up.....like an article said,(the accord euro is everything the alfa 156 wants to be).

tony1234
03-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Im sure you'll notice a big difference in build quality and running costs if you get a Euro over an Alfa.mind you i've never owned an Alfa,i'm only going on hearsay.:)

BusterSonic12
03-04-2007, 07:56 AM
156 no vtec; euro vtec...

that clearly answer your question :D so go honda FTW!!! then u can vtec too =p

Tobster
03-04-2007, 09:56 AM
The 156 was on my list when I was shopping. It was slightly smaller than I wanted and I was mainly put off by all the media stories about questionable reliability.

The 156 is a beautiful car and I agree with the comment that the Momo leather is just beautiful and does make the Euro leather seem cheap.

That said, the Euro leather is much nicer than the Mazda6 leather.

I have no regrets about my Euro lux purchase, and I still believe it's one of the best value cars (for luxury features) for around $40K. Reliable, safe, fun -- and from what I remember, with much better gearing ratios than the 156.

tron07
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Keen to know what sort of response you get when you post this same question in Alfa forum?? :D

E-Gene
03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Haha, the funny thing is that my housemate has both! He recently got the Alfa 156 Selespeed for his wife while he is driving the Euro.

But seriously, I think that the Alfa is very refined in it's finishings. The leather is nice, and everything feels really solid and well made. So I'll say that the Alfa wins in terms of styling and quality.

But if performance is what you are after as well as customise-ablility, the I say go the Euro.

It's Jap vs European really.

IAMVTEC
04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I dont even know what a 156 look like but I wouldnt get an alfa romeo its too weird a brand. The trouble you will have getting support when you want to mod/fix ur car is not worth the trouble.

E-Gene
04-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I dont even know what a 156 look like but I wouldnt get an alfa romeo its too weird a brand. The trouble you will have getting support when you want to mod/fix ur car is not worth the trouble.

If you don't really know what it looks like then it's hard to say that you won't like it. Alfas are really nice cars.

tron07
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM

That because you havent seen or driven one before....:thumbsup:

but maintaining one is a different story :thumbdwn:

Ronin
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I find it quite funny how people who don't own a 156 can comment so much about it (ie handlign etc.)

Having said that I do have both, and would refer to E-Gene's comments =)

Keeping in mind that the new generation Alfa's are completely different to the older unreliable twinsparks. The major change came in around 2003 onwards.

Having said that Italian cars will always be more pricier in every aspect, and from your responses, I think the jap Euro would be better suited to your liking.

I like them both for their differences - hence i have both. Neither one is better than the other, but i had to pick one, it would be the Alfa - all i need now is the $$ to afford all the mods which are all mainly in "pounds" from the UK.

Chris84
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks again everyone for your comments. They have mostly confirmed what I thought would be the main differences between the two cars. I.E. Alfa for styling, interior and 'that' feeling that only an alfa can give. And the Honda for the reliability, better suspension and drivetrain, and more economical running costs.

It wont be an easy decision to sell the 156. I love the cars exterior and interior styling and both never fail to bring a smile, even after over two years of ownership.

However, with the warranty claims paper work for the 156 challenging the bible for thickness and with it just about to come out of warranty, it can only be time to say goodbye to it!!

Im looking at a Luxury 6sp manual with sat nav in graphite. Its a demo with 5000kms on it. Whats a good price to pay for it?

tron07
04-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Why not get a new 06 model?? IMHO much more worthy then the demo. I was looking at used Euro, then Demo Euro but decided to go for a new one instead.... at least it was not trashed by people

krogoth
04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Alfa spyder FTW, lol

if u got 95k to spare

god that car is sooooooo fkn nice

Chris84
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
The Demo im looking at is an end of 06 Luxury manual with sat nav. I didnt initially set out to look at a demo car, but the car im looking at is quite a bit under the price of a new euro with the same options, and is still in immaculate condition. I can see your point on the car being possibly thrashed by others but its just the chance you take on a demo I guess......

And yes, the spyder is a very nice car indeed...too bad i dont have the cash to front up and buy one of those! :(

Chris84
24-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm now the owner of a 06 Euro Luxury man with sat nav. Thanks to everyone for all your comments and advice, it was much appreciated! I'm really enjoying the car so far and will hopefully be able to contribute as well as rely on the forums again in the future........

Cheers

Chris.

krogoth
24-05-2007, 06:30 PM
congrats, nice choice

i love the alfa 2, but oh well, lol

E-Gene
24-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I reckon the Euro Lux is definitely nicer than the 156 but if you are talking about the 159, then that's a different story.

blk05gli
25-05-2007, 11:48 PM
excellent Chris84. Now if only I can convince my best mate to tradein his alfa GT for a Euro too ;-P

tony1234
26-05-2007, 09:05 AM
excellent Chris84. Now if only I can convince my best mate to tradein his alfa GT for a Euro too ;-P
Just get your mate to drive your Euro a few times,he'll convert i'm sure.:D

aaronng
26-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I reckon it would be difficult for him to dump his GT for an Euro. Heck, even I am tempted by the GT.

Type R Positive
27-05-2007, 02:54 AM
As long it is not a ford or holden, you will be right mate! :p

I think we can all agree here that you ain't going to get a more refined and classy car than the Euro for the money.

What other cars are you considering? Liberty? Mazda6?