PDA

View Full Version : How many KM is to many?

ozstrider
03-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Im looking at getting a 95 Accord Vti Auto. Its got a RWC, rego, has been reguarly serviced and etc, the only problem is, its done 270,000kms. Is this to many for this year and model? If i go inspect the car, what should i look for? Would the auto be starting to kick the bucket at this point? Does the engine get tired before it all lets go? Does the service history make any differance?

The other idea is just shut the hell up and drive it, then if the engine does let go, get on the hunt for a H22. But how much does a manual half cut cost? And since i have an engine knowledge ranging from zero to how to start it, how much will it set me back to install it?

Sorry about all these questions, turned out alot more than i thought. But thanks in advance to anyone for any help.

narut0
03-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi ozstrider.

I have a 2000 Accord and already got 85,000kms on it. A 95 model vehicle with 270,000kms? You do the math. I won't buy it even if it only cost a dime. Always checkout carsales.com.au, carsguide.com.au, drive.com.au and even here at ozhonda.com. There's plenty of nice nicks out there regardless of make/model. Be patient and always be on the look out if you're opting of buying a 2nd hand vehicle.

EuroDude
03-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda engines can last 500,000km+ depending on many variables.

If the engine has been serviced regularly and the owner used decent oil and fuel, then the engine should be in "ok" condition.

Have a drive of it, if the engine is giving out grey smoke or the engine is making abnormal noises, it will need a recondition soon.

Also find out when the gearbox was reconditioned, if at all. otherwise you'll be up for a $1500+ cost to fix the gearbox up. Give the car a drive and test all the gears.

Redbook states:

Prices based on km 180,000 - 300,000
Trade in price guide* $3,600 - $5,300
National average price - private sale* $5,300 - $7,900
Price when new (RRP) $43,900
http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/prices.php?key=HOND95BM

If you look hard enough, you may be able to find a 1995 Accord thats done less than 200,000km. But expect to pay more.

bennjamin
03-04-2007, 10:09 AM
22500 kms per year is close to double your 12k per year average ~ but also depends on if its highway driving , previous owners etc. If the engine / car has been taken care of , k's mean little. The engine can still be as good if not better than lower k examples.
But please look around for all the accords you can find !

ozstrider
03-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I do look around alot. But i wasnt sure as how a Honda engine lasts after that amount of time. The price of the car is around the lower end of the National Average private sale price.

Unfortunately lurking around carsales hasnt turned up anything im looking for haha.

b4dnuf
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
As stated before honda engines last for ages if they are well looked after.
My uncle has a 2nd or 3rd Gen Lude (89 EX I think) and it has done over 300 K on it mind you he has had the car for a while and driven to and from Bris to Melb and up to Townsville a fair few times. but there is nothing wrong with the engine itself. Honda engines are very reliable if they are maintained.
Just look for black or oily residue on the exhaust, any leaks in the engine bay or under the car and have someone look at it prior if u can.. ! :thumbsup:

Vinnie
03-04-2007, 04:09 PM
i personally wood want sumthing with lower k's but as stated it depends on the condition of the car. if its got no obvious signs of heavy wear and u can get it for a good price it may be worth considering.

however ive seen quite a lot of CD5's around with lower k's (mines only got 145k and ive seen lower) so there is choice. keep in mind if ur looking to do a transplant on a car that has higher kays that all the components have had more use (drivetrain, gearbox etc.) so u have to make sure everything is still in in good shape :)

EuroDude
03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Get the NRMA to inspect the car, you dont want to find an expensive suprise needing repair.

tmy
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
my 96 accord has done 237000kms and it still runs perfectly fine. but mines been well looked after and not "thrashed". which is one thing you don't know when looking at a car. Also mine is serviced quiet often.

depending on the price id probablebuy it if it was within reason.

h22a accord
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
mines got 270000km and its a 94. kays dont mean much unless the car has been neglected ( not servicing etc ) for the life of those kays.

zorella
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Man I feel awesome, my new baby '95 LXI has 118,000km :P

I had a '90 civic that went to 298,000km before the head gasket went. It started as a hire car, then a shopping car, then it saw three L to P platers, then 2yrs of me using for deliveries. Fantastic car.

mat633
04-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi, I wanted to get 1994-1997 Honda Accord as well, some of them are 200+kms and some under. Does anyone here know what's the common problem of this type of accord that we should know and perhaps really check it before we buy? and also is buying auto really dangerous for the age to failure?

Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread.

zorella
04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
does anyone know the highest km they're seen on a 'still working fine' accord? And more importantly, what it took to get it there.

Xplodin
05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
does anyone know the highest km they're seen on a 'still working fine' accord? And more importantly, what it took to get it there.

Yeah I've seen on. Infact its my parents one. Their Run around car too. Just about to Hit 420,000 On the clock and still working like the day they brought it. Mind you we got it brand new back then. Don't believe me i'll take a photo of it when my mum gets back and I'll show you.