PDA

View Full Version : buying 2000 integra type-R

joey99
05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and I used to drive a nissan silvia S15. I have gotten rid of it and want something completely different.

I'm in the process of buying a Integra type-R (2000). What do people think of this car as a daily driver ?

It's very hard to find one that is stock standard.

I'm looking at one that's at a dealership ... how can I tell if the suspension has been modified ?

I also think that the extractors and exhaust has been changed.
Is this something I should bee looking out for as I think the original items are pretty good, arn't they ? I dont' understand why people would mod a classic car.

If anyone is selling a type-r in sydney, please give me an email.

mku01
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
you can see if the car is low or not?? standard height is around 2 inch(between wheel and fender) i think?
or you can check under the car and look for springs/coilovers

if the cars modified... see if they can provide u with the oem parts when u buy it.

joey99
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
at the moment, it's got rediculous 19" chromies on it and looks stupid .. there's absolutely no gap. The dealer does have the original wheels and will put them on if I do decide to buy it and will take abit off the price too.

thanks for the advise.. I hope he's got the stock ones.

arron
05-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah...

Get the original wheels! They are really light and will benefit the car's handling unlike those monsterous 19" chromies... I had ugly and heavy 16" rims on my car when i bought my car a year ago... made quite a difference from just changing the rims... lol..

To answer your question, as a daily driver.. the dc2r is pretty impractical... cramped inside, no luxuries like centre console or any random compartments for your wallet, phone and ciggies etc, and it has no sound deadening so it gets pretty droney, but if you are willing to sacrifice luxury for a very fun drive, Do it lol..

An aftermarket exhaust is pretty easy to tell as the stock one is pretty damn silent. In the case of extractors.. they are usually all rusty (cast iron i believe for a stock AUSDM dc2r) and covered by the heatshield.. if the heat shield is removed and the extractors all nice shiny.. most definately an aftermarket item...

Original parts are plentiful on the private 'for sale' section of this forum so you shouldn't have too much trouble replacing parts back to stock...

Hope that helped out a bit...

aimre
05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
hmmm, if its on parra road, and its black, make sure u plug the vtec solenoid back up. A type R with 19 inch chromies doesnt deserve vtec, so i unplugged it http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/teufel/devil-smiley-019.gif

..... plus the guy there was an ass to us

DLO01
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Check out these threads too, should be helpfull. :thumbsup:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31817&highlight=type+r+daily+driver

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15302&highlight=type+r+daily+driver

joey99
06-04-2007, 09:20 PM
hmmm, if its on parra road, and its black, make sure u plug the vtec solenoid back up. A type R with 19 inch chromies doesnt deserve vtec, so i unplugged it http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/teufel/devil-smiley-019.gif

YUP! that's the one! but I've found another , much better one to look at this weekend.

HAHAHA ... that's unreal! the guy really doesn't know anything about the car and keeps bugging me to go see the car ... no wonder it keeps dropping in price and no one would buy it :)

nice one.

and wow... great articles .. thanks so much for the input.

arron
06-04-2007, 11:56 PM

You are truly evil... Lol...

BlackITR
07-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Good luck in your quest, I use mine as a daily driver and love it. You just learn to use the pocket in the door to store your wallet and ciggies :P

And you can't carry anything in your pockets while in the recaro. Just to damn uncomfortable.

joey99
09-04-2007, 09:36 AM
I actually went to see the DC2R on parramatta road yesterday as the guy keeps ringing me. It's wasn't very well presented and has some dodgy mods and asking way too much anyway. That car will be sitting there for a long time unless they drop the price down to somehting like $15k

But last night I found a very good example ... and put a deposit down on Norma's black TypeR that's on sale here in the forum :) WOOHOO! I can't wait to pick it up.

This is such an awesome forum ... THANKS very much for all the help.

DLO01
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Sweet well done man. :honda: :angel:

joey99
12-04-2007, 04:06 PM
picked up my black DC2R yesterday with some beautiful 16inch bronze TE37s! WOOOOOOHOOOO!!

wow do these things drive on rails or what!! the handling is just amazing!

It has a lightened flywheel and I think it really looses alot of torque down low. And in traffic it's really not that good. I will be changing it back in a week or so. Can anyone confirm that lightened fly wheels will loose a lot of low end torque ? At the moment, it just revs and revs like it's nothing!

bungsai
12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
1.8l isnt the most torquey engine anyway.

leave the lightweight flywheel in there, gets you to your power faster. 6k+ is the best.

DLO01
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
It has a lightened flywheel and I think it really looses alot of torque down low. And in traffic it's really not that good. I will be changing it back in a week or so. Can anyone confirm that lightened fly wheels will loose a lot of low end torque ? At the moment, it just revs and revs like it's nothing!

Leave the light fly in there man.....

I can never tell with small mods, the increase in power or whatever, with the old bum'o'meter.

But putting a light fly in I could, just revs up so much quicker. :thumbsup:

joey99
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm still getting used to the car right now .. maybe I"m just used to my old silvia S15 and a RX-8 I"ve been driving for a while.

it's only my first day .. so I'll probably drive it for 2 or so weeks and go from there.

string
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
If anything you'll have more available torque from a lightened flywheel. There are absolutely no disadvantages to them unless you are one of those retards who can't take-off from a stand-still without a big 500kg power sink of a flywheel (*cough* bmw) :D

How does the handling feel compared to the S15? Was it standard through your ownership?

czy_sol87
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
just leave the lightweight flywheel in
ur not use to the power deliverly of a honda VTEC engine, unlike the s15 which is aided by the turbo, in the teg u have to really ring its neck out for it to get moving

joey99
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
the handling from the standard S15 suspension is horrible ... body roll garlore! it just doesn't give a lot of confidence. It was fantastic in a straight line and easy to get a lot of power with very little mods.

nothing I have ever driven handles like the DC2R ! around twisties, it will kill a S15 that has standard suspension.

mku01
13-04-2007, 12:57 AM
oh btw... when u see some mild tune s15's give them a go, u'd be surprised what your type r can do :)

joey99
13-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm getting used to it now and it's fantastic ... you really have to grab it's throat and really wring it :) I love it.

I've never driven a type R before this but how hard is the steering supposed to be ? I know it's hard to descibe ... it is very tight if the car is going slowly. It doesn't feel like there's much help of power steering ... is that right ? I know that it should be abit harder .. but I just want to know if it's normal.

mku01
13-04-2007, 09:55 AM
yeah the dc2r steering wheel feels a lot heavier compared to a dc5... this way you get better road feel.
correct me if im wrong ;)

rykerz
13-04-2007, 09:58 AM
at least my steering is a bit heavy too i think its a dc2r thing

joey99
13-04-2007, 10:04 AM
that's the word I was looking for ... 'Heavy'
it is very heavy compared to anything else I have driven and I was just not sure if it was normal. It almost feels like go kart steering. Is that teh same for everyone else ?

string
13-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes it's normal. They revised the power steering for more feel. More feel pretty much means more resistance. Also saved weight.

JamB
13-04-2007, 01:50 PM
nice buy yesterday i parked my dc2 next to a black dc2r and now i feel like crap ...it kinda feels like ive lost interest in my car lol

im jealous

joey99
13-04-2007, 02:03 PM
for a 7 year car they're incredible and at about $20k .. BARGAIN!
I can see that alot of them are bought by people who know about cars and will take care of them. Of course I would expect them to be driven hard as they should be .. but from ones I"ve seen, they're all in pretty good nick. .. except the one on parramatta road of course ... ahhah

it's such an icon and classic car .... I will be keeping this one for a while :) it's alot of fun.

czy_sol87
21-04-2007, 07:06 PM
^^good on ya mate, sounds like ur really enjoyin the new ride
have fun, but remember to be safe, last thing u want is a damaged dc2r

SHIFTY
21-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats mate :)

i just put a deposit on a DC2R 2day (Champion White)

JDM80Y
22-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Congrats on ur purchase mate..

BTW.. the blk DC2R with 19 chromies.. still going 4 sale i think.. i also think its a big disrespect to Honda.. glad u didnt go for that one ! haha

Take it easy!

joey99
22-04-2007, 02:03 AM
congrats to you too SHIFTY .. very lucky to get a white one.I"ve been looking for months and there're just no white ones for sale.

drove past a few days ago and the chromie DC2R is still there. what a waste.

I'm enjoying the car more and more and loving it.
got it completely cleaned and waxed today. if anyone hasn't used detailing clay before for cleaning ... it's a must! WOW you end up with a completely flat surface that feels like a brand new piece of glass! ... then you polish&seal ... then wax ... end up with a beautiful mirror finish.

anyway, thanks everyone for their advise.

drive safe everyone :)

qstoria
22-04-2007, 02:34 AM
what price did u get the guy on parra road down to?

joey99
22-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I told him about all the very good examples out there that were below his asking price of $23,999. He offered me $23 ... I told him he'd have to go way below $21k with his 3 year waranty before I'd even consider anything. He has never rang back.

SHIFTY
22-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Why oh why would u put chromies on a ITR !!! :(

he should be paying u to take it off him and make it jdm, so it can be worth something :p

qstoria
22-04-2007, 04:41 PM
yeah way below 21 indeed.