PDA

View Full Version : Buying HU from EBAY

JChen
05-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi

I am thinking of getting a HU from Ebay as I noticed most of the Pioneer HU are selling substantially cheaper than shops ($315@Ebay vs $649@JB hifi for Pioneer 6950IB). Now, I am wary that it might be too good to be true and issues with warranty and radio frequency.

I would just like to check with you guys on your experience in buying a HU from EBay dealer and if there's any dealer in Brisbane that offers reasonable prices for car audio stuff.

Your feedback will be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Xplodin
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Well For starters, i've never trusted aplace like ebay. Unless its like from here or even firesport. Anywas, when i got my head unit, i was willing to pay that much for it and did, and you get a full 12months warranty with it as well. Which i did use one cos of an internal fuse. See if you buy from ebay, as long as its aus stock and not an overseas model it should be fine as well. But be weary that the over seas model might not beable to play the radio due to frequency differences. I know on the pioneers the 50 on the end (So the 8650) means that it can be played in aus. Where as the other models such as the 8600 wont be able to. Have a look around and see what you've found. Good luck with it as well.

doosra
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
U might notice on ebay that they are american headunits and not the australian headunits even though they look the same.

jeffske
06-04-2007, 04:55 PM
there are plenty of fake HU's online, just a case of buyer beware. Pioneer Australia probably wont want to hear from you if it breaks

Int3gra-T
06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
there completely fine if u find the right dealer,
like honestly ull probably upgrade the deck by the time it breaks

D4rk4n63l
06-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I purchased 3 HU from ebay so far.. top of the range pioneer and alpine decks worth $600 each, never got problems.... cant really comment on the warranty because never needed to use it (touch wood:p)

vividjazz
06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
You can't get warranty service in Australia on overseas / grey market headunits but if the place you got it from is legit then you can send it back to them if it breaks for them to send off for repair or replacement. You can also send it back direct to the manufacturer for repair. In the case of most Pioneer headunits that is back to Thailand. Its more expensive to send it back overseas for repair of course.

dreamshifter
06-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I recently purchased a brand new pioneer 5850 - last years model. As stated just check to make sure you get the aussie models. The American models are generally missing the '5' and can't tune onto aus radio frequency. ie deh6850 vs deh6800, deh5850 vs deh5800

pkb0i
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
yeh i purchased the deh-6850 on ebay from america, but their version was the deh-680 which has the premier tag on it, apparently that is the higher version of pioneer. it was half price compared to the prices here at JB hi-fi etc. well, i didnt really worry about the warranty, i couldve bought another one and it would be the same as buying one is aus. it was 298 on ebay and was 580 at JB. hope it works well for u

teh_mechanic
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
i purchased my pioneer head unit on ebay about two years ago..aprox $200 less than any price i could find in shop and the HU is still going strong with no problems at all

kid_dynamite
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
I might add that it may be possible to actually find better prices locally. I bought my Alpine headunit from a store for $50 cheaper than what I could find on eBay, and I now have the bonus of manufacturer / store warranty if anything should go wrong.

JChen
10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!! :D

I went for an Alpine DVA-9861E for $535 installed at Gold Coast Car Sound. I think I feel safer letting the small dealer do the installation as well.