PDA

View Full Version : accord ....will jdm prelude shifter fit? yes it will

h22a accord
25-06-2004, 05:56 PM
hey, iv'e got a jdm prelude front cut with the gear cables and linkages etc. I did notice when the engine was in the front cut that the shifter had a shorter throw and just felt better all round.

You reckon its a straight swap over from the prelude to my accord? be bloody unreal if i can do it 8)

h22a accord
26-06-2004, 08:28 PM
i now have a prelude shifter in my accord 8)

basically, after removing console etc to gain access i undid the cables and 4 bolts holding the whole mechanism (mounting plate and shifter) in there and lifted it out.

Had to keep the accord mounting plate but used the prelude stick & grinded off a cm each side of the stick for lever travel ( if anyone else does this conversion you will see exactly why)

bolted it all back up, put everything back together and wahlah, i have what seems like shorter throws, tighter gearbox and because the stick is shorter my gear knob sits about 2 inches lower :P

no pics as yet, i cant get the flash to work on my digi cam and my phone/camera is in the shop getting fixed.

All you guys with manual accords, go do this, you will be like " holy f*&k this is awesome!!!!

heres a pic, the JDM lude gear knob i have fitted sits alot higher than the OEM accord knob so take note where the chrome ring under the knob is compared to the location of an OEM one.

http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dtaila/preludeshift.jpg

CHU85
26-06-2004, 09:08 PM
yes thats correct man. i just used a hack saw to take off the two little tabs off the sides.

Its pretty hard to find a prelude front cut with the shifter in place i would think

vtecinaccord
27-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Or boys you could go here and get a propper shift kit which is actually a shorter throw plus very short its sweet.

www.pspectuning.com

Dominik
27-06-2004, 07:23 PM
So all you need is a Prelude 'stick'? (for want of a better word)??

If so, i am so there! Better than paying $300+ for an aftermarket one!

h22a accord
27-06-2004, 10:56 PM
yup, go hunting for a prelude stick, im not sure if the prelude sticks are different in the different specs of the cars (si, vti-r etc) but mines a h22a (vti-r)

i have driven cars with really short gear sticks and personally they annoy the sh*t out of me. Who here has seen a race car ( v8 super cars,wrc etc) with gear sticks that are 2 inches long? I sure havnt and if a stumpy stick was a good thing, every race team would use them. paying $300-$400+ for an aftermarket shifter purely for rice is pointless, when you can retro fit a lude one for a fraction of the cost.

okay, a lude one doesnt shorten the throw dramatically but it sure is extemely noticable and im sure if i cut 4 inches off the top of my stick my throws would feel ridiculously short too.

as it is, i can change gears stupid fast now, i love it.

Dominik
27-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, i am driving a stock accord... its not like i am going to have any use for a proper short shifter anyway! (haha i could use it to beat a granny in her '76 corona!)...

So yeah, my actual reason is that since putting the CD player where the ashtray is (and the flip out screen above that), i cant change CDs very well in 1st, 3rd, or 5th!!! (and i come dangerously close to punching the screen as well)

Was contemplating cutting the shifter :-0

What generation prelude is it? Is it the shape before the current (last?) shape?

h22a accord
27-06-2004, 11:32 PM
What generation prelude is it? Is it the shape before the current (last?) shape?

yep, its the bb4 shape, 94-97

dundas
04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
so how much did the shifter cost you...and what parts would i need to take from the prelude??? gimme a tutorial with pics lmao- me=NOoB with cars.

dundas
04-07-2004, 07:07 PM
better yet, sum1 who knows wat their doing can u just send me a pm...cheers lol