PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Help

BLK220
25-06-2004, 06:59 PM
hi guys, im new here, and new to the honda scene.
I own a 94mdl honda civic VTI sohc.
I am looking to give it a little more power, i know that it will not be able to keep up with the bigger engine's out there, but thats not my aim, just starting small for now.
i was thinking a nice set of headers, and a exhaust. 2" high flow cat with a neat dump pipe at the end. possibly a cold air intake kit aswell.
Also does anyone know about a ecu for the sohc civic's?
Any help is much appreciated. If possible, any prices and places to visit will help.

thanks guys!

SIKCVC
25-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Before someone flames you for it... do a quick search using the search function type in something like "d16y" or something along those line, Vti civic etc. Theres a couple threads a week about how to mod them.

ECU-MAN
25-06-2004, 08:29 PM
no point changing the ecu for a stock engine. I dont think anyone can tune a stock engine better than honda them selfz, chipping your stock car will only make it run rich. If you want a noticeable increase of power look at a B series engine or turbo your exsitin engine.. either way $$$$$$

DynoDave
25-06-2004, 10:39 PM
no point changing the ecu for a stock engine. I dont think anyone can tune a stock engine better than honda them selfz, chipping your stock car will only make it run rich. If you want a noticeable increase of power look at a B series engine or turbo your exsitin engine.. either way $$$$$$

I do not think that the factory has tuned the car for MAX performance and there is good power to be gained with tuning a STD car as most Honda's run rich from the factory not lean.And he did not ask about doing an engine or turbo conversion he just asked about getting a little bit more power with what he has.
Regards Dyno Dave

ECU-MAN
25-06-2004, 11:28 PM

I do not think that the factory has tuned the car for MAX performance and there is good power to be gained with tuning a STD car as most Honda's run rich from the factory not lean.And he did not ask about doing an engine or turbo conversion he just asked about getting a little bit more power with what he has.
Regards Dyno Dave

not having a go at anyone but I havent come across anyone who can say I have retuned my stock engine an noticed more power with out any idling problems or bad bad fuel economy. what would be the most power gain you have seen by retuning a stock engine ??? can anyone here say thay have done it and the car is noticably quicker ( and also stay with in the emissions laws ) Im very curious as I am pretty sure Honda have streched the rubber band to the max with the 1.6l

DynoDave
26-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Maybe you can make more power than the factory can http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5265&highlight=hondata
There are too many people that sit behind there PC's just posting stuff that they know nothing about I have been tuning cars for longer than I can remember and you can make more power with a STD car and stay within the emission laws.The problem with the tuning industry is that 90% of tuner's are people that know alot about PC's and nothing about how an engine works as they have never built one or designed a engine package
so they just think that it is a matter of moving some numbers around in a ECU and changing the dyno around to make themselfs look good and the customer will never know. I for one take pride in what I do for a living and when someone makes a statement like you just did ECU-MAN I take offence to it as I have made good power gains with STD cars fitted with factory and aftermaket ECU's.
Regards Dyno Dave

fueltank
26-06-2004, 01:02 AM
properly tuned maps would yield more response and power than say a pod + cat back exhaust.

BLK220, how much are you wanting to spend?

ECU-MAN
26-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Maybe you can make more power than the factory can http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5265&highlight=hondata
There are too many people that sit behind there PC's just posting stuff that they know nothing about I have been tuning cars for longer than I can remember and you can make more power with a STD car and stay within the emission laws.The problem with the tuning industry is that 90% of tuner's are people that know alot about PC's and nothing about how an engine works as they have never built one or designed a engine package
so they just think that it is a matter of moving some numbers around in a ECU and changing the dyno around to make themselfs look good and the customer will never know. I for one take pride in what I do for a living and when someone makes a statement like you just did ECU-MAN I take offence to it as I have made good power gains with STD cars fitted with factory and aftermaket ECU's.
Regards Dyno Dave

Like I said Im not out to start a flaming session or have a go at anyone. and I am not a keyboard Worrior either, I have seen many Hondas in the past and many attempts for power gains. IMO the cars went slower, but like you said there are alot or companies out there who have NFI. they can make anything look good on paper. that link you posted with mods and retuned DC5 is impressive for a stock engine and also new to me. so I guess I stand corrected then. but we are talking about a 1.6 SOHC VTi.. What I dont like though is when people relpy with answers like; you could instead of you can; I think instead of I know. the other reason I have always belived "you cant" is if you could why arnt there more genuine and guarenteed ROMS out there you can just plug in to your ECU with the results from such companies for a VTi civic. most roms you come across on the net or on ebay are either skunk, spoon, which require mods or just stock roms lables as "get extra 20kw from this rom"with a fancy name on it. No doubt your good at what you do and if you know you can make a STD HONDA engine go better by retuning it ( staying within emissions) you should be a popular person. But going off topic here a little, when you retune, you say you can get more power and torque, stay within emissions, but do you also improve or maintain fuel economy. I know you will always ahve to sacrifice something for power and fuel economy is usually the first thing. also what results have you got for a 1.6 SOHC engine.

also when you refer to STD car are you saying STD Honda car ?

and also id like to know what statement I made that offended you. was it -no point changing the ecu for a stock engine. or I dont think anyone can tune a stock engine better than honda them selfz, I always try not to offend but Sorry if I did.

BLK220
26-06-2004, 10:02 AM
sorry guys, like i said im new, ill check up some more in the search section.
just to clarify, i am not real interested in turbocharging or changing the engine over, just a little more power, it is not a long term car, in the future a integra is on the cards, but for now the civic is going to have to do. Will an exhaust, headers and cold air intake kit make a difference? as i said though, huge power gain is not what i am looking for, just something small.

thanks guys, appreciate the help!