PDA

View Full Version : CD Change with stock headunit

akusuma
07-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi guys,

I have a civic eg vti 95 with stock headunit cassette player. I am planning to buy a cd changer (preferably pioneer). Is this going to work? Is it a direct job or I need to buy something else to make to connect the changer with my stock headunit? If I buy a cd changer which can play mp3 format, does it make any difference?

thank you in advance

EuroDude
07-04-2007, 02:34 AM
I doubt the stock headunit can take a CD Changer, and even if it did, it would need to be the same brand. Honda sell them for like $1000 which is a major rip off.

You will need to remove the stock headunit and replace it with a decent one such as Kenwood/Sony/Alpine that has a CD Changer connector, and buy the same branded CD Changer. If you want an MP3 compatible CD Changer, your headunit must also support MP3.

MP3 format gives you near CD quality if your MP3 files are encoded at a decent rate such as 192kb/s VBR. But if you are using the stock speakers, then you can get away with using 128kb/s MP3's. MP3 also uses much less space, instead of each song using 50MB on a normal CD, each song uses only 5MB. Basically you can fit roughly 10x more songs on a CD using MP3

akusuma
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
do you know roughly how much to replace the head unit?

thank you

aka_NSX
07-04-2007, 03:27 PM
most H/U can play MP3 usually they are start from around $200, so its much cheaper than you buy an OEM CD stacker

akusuma
07-04-2007, 04:59 PM
ok. How bout the installation fee? I am planning to get the H/U from ebay, so I might need to find an installer. Any idea how much it costs roughly?

thank you

Jord
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
i have just pulled a 10 stacker out of my 1997 honda civic ek hatch it is in good condtion dunno whether it will connect to your headunit i will send u a pic of the plug it comes wiht if ur keen? pm me :)