PDA

View Full Version : What's happen if VSA turned off?

Euro76
07-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Apart for not having electronically controlled stability, does it have any impact on performance? I've heard sometime before in this forum that having VSA off it has better acceleration at first gear and VTEC engage sooner? I don't think it's true but not really sure. I've turned off VSA but barely feel the difference. I might stupid here, need more info on VSA.

type-vtec
07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
vechile stability assist.correct me if im worng

cdjhitman
07-04-2007, 09:25 AM
umm an exclaimation mark surrounded by a triangle appears on ur dash board :)

Euro76
07-04-2007, 10:14 AM
vechile stability assist.correct me if im worng

I know what it stands for, however read my topic again :)

Euro76
07-04-2007, 10:14 AM
umm an exclaimation mark surrounded by a triangle appears on ur dash board :)

Meh, I know that :p

BiLL|z0r
07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
VTEC certainly doesn't engage any sooner. I personally think it does accellerate better but other say there is no difference. If I'm feeling spirited I turn it off, otherwise I leave it on (+ I don't like warning lights on my dash:)).

Butso
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
u get wheel spin off white lines on the road. that's about it.

it's akin to traction control.

Pumped
07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Allows a bit more wheel spin when changing gears fast, Dont believe there'd be any change in performance other then allowing a harder launch/quicker gear change without the intrusion of TC

idunlie
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
i read on a different forum that with VSA turned off for the FN2 (UK ctr) the car did faster laps than if VSA was turned on. it was the same for all the other hatches,
posted by sjw:
Stability Off Stability On
Megane R26 : 1:36.05 1:36.15
Astra VXR : 1:38.25 1:40.65
Leon FR : 1:40.00 1:41.35
Golf GTi : 1:41.00 1:41.45
Civic Type-R : 1:41.45 1:42.10
Focus ST : 1:42.15 1:43.30

dont know if its the same for your car though.

aaronng
07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
For the Euro, you will get faster time with VSA off when on the circuit.

For 1/4 times, turn it off, as a little wheelspin when you shift quickly is better than having your throttle cut off my the intrusive traction control.

Omotesando
07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Actually almost all cars will have a slower circuit time with the equivalent of the VSA or Stability system turned on. Of course it depends on the level of intrusiveness of the Stability control. Some are too safe and cuts fuel, brakes, etc, way too soon. I think the Euro's one is similar to that.

In the wet however, its a different story, even with a professional driver behind the wheel. If its still intrusive enough then having it on will still slow it down but on the porsches and ferraris its almost always quicker with the stability control on in the wet.

Some performance cars have multiple stability control levels and some can turn this off but keep traction control only, before turning it all off.

aaronng
07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
For the Euro, acceleration is quicker in the wet with VSA on, but in terms of stability, VSA off is better as it is too optimistic and gives you snap oversteer if you ever go too fast into a corner and understeer.

EuroAccord13
07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
VSA off is better as it is too optimistic and gives you snap oversteer if you ever go too fast into a corner and understeer.

I didn't believe it when Aaron told me until I experienced it myself last night....

yfin
08-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I didn't believe it when Aaron told me until I experienced it myself last night....

Don't you guys both have aftermarket pads/rotors? Maybe it makes no difference but Honda set up the VSA with the OEM brakes in mind -- eg the sensors still brake individual wheels but because of your better brakes / different bite it is causing too much deceleration of that individual wheel. Too much braking on that side could cause the oversteer you are experiencing. Thoughts?

aaronng
08-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't you guys both have aftermarket pads/rotors? Maybe it makes no difference but Honda set up the VSA with the OEM brakes in mind -- eg the sensors still brake individual wheels but because of your better brakes / different bite it is causing too much deceleration of that individual wheel. Too much braking on that side could cause the oversteer you are experiencing. Thoughts?

My VSA experience was when I was having stock pads and stock rotors. On the track, VSA has very little effect when on. But on the street, the snap oversteer is very evident (you'll notice the VSA light flashing).