PDA

View Full Version : /////Alpine Amp and 12" Sub.

Xplodin
08-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,

I'll start off by telling you my setup. 2 Alpine Amps (MRD-M301 Mono Block & MRV-F200 4ch) Now, I've got 4ga wire running from my battery to the back of the car. The it splits up into 2 Using a Distribution block Out to 6ga wire to both amps. The 4 Ch Amp is running the 4 speakers, derr. And the mono the sub which is an Alpine Type S Dual Voice coil 2Ohms. Now as far as im reading it my amp which is rated at 300W RMS @ 14.4V @ 2ohms. So it should handle my sub fine. But i'm having problems. The Amp displays, "CURR" which means "The amplifier has been shutdown due to excessive current.Find and eliminate the cause of the excessive current, then turn the power off then back on from the remote control unit." As quoted in the manual. How do i fix this. I'm able to use the sub at low volume but after turning it up it cuts out and says that on the amp. Help please? Anyone. I've also checked all my grounds which are fine, I've even sanded it back to bare metal. So i dont know where the problem is.

Thanks in advance.

aka_NSX
08-04-2007, 12:54 PM
And the mono the sub which is an Alpine Type S Dual Voice coil 2Ohms. Now as far as im reading it my amp which is rated at 300W RMS @ 14.4V @ 2ohms. So it should handle my sub fine. But i'm having problems. The Amp displays, "CURR" which means "The amplifier has been shutdown due to excessive current.Find and eliminate the cause of the excessive current, then turn the power off then back on from the remote control unit."

how many sub have you got ? coz if you only got 1 sub and the sub is DVC 2 ohms then you wired up in parallel then the sub is become 1 ohm, then you need to check whether your amp can run stable in 1ohm ? if not you need to wired up your sub in series to become 4 ohms

BTW who is doing the installation ?

Xplodin
08-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh sweet thanks dude! Took your advice and now i've changed them to series. Sounding nice. Now im gettin a burnt plastic smell :S is it cos of a new sub?

Fhrx
08-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Now im gettin a burnt plastic smell :S is it cos of a new sub?

Assuming you're not pushing the subwoofer unreasonably, it's not unusual for new subwoofers to give off a putrid smell. This is usually the glue that holds the spider and surround to the frame heating up. It should release this smell less and less as the subwoofer is worn in.

Xplodin
08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Assuming you're not pushing the subwoofer unreasonably, it's not unusual for new subwoofers to give off a putrid smell. This is usually the glue that holds the spider and surround to the frame heating up. It should release this smell less and less as the subwoofer is worn in.
Nope I never push it... too much bass if i do. I'm gettin a new amp this wends.

The next model up. MRD-M501... my mate just bought my amp and old MTX sub off me.

What are your thought on the amp?

Fhrx
08-04-2007, 02:59 PM
The MRD-M501 amplifier is not my particular cup of tea (I struggle with their power and distortion levels) but they are well designed and well made so you won't go wrong with one.:)

ICACHA
10-04-2007, 07:25 AM
$5 says hes wired it at 1ohm if the sub is dual 2ohms :p OR the big no no of car audio, wiring one coil one way and the other coil the other way :p

aka_NSX
10-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Nope I never push it... too much bass if i do. I'm gettin a new amp this wends.

The next model up. MRD-M501... my mate just bought my amp and old MTX sub off me.

What are your thought on the amp?

why you are getting the Alpine Amp anyway :thumbdwn: , since they cant handle 1ohm load, I reckon most of the new amp now days is not as good as the old days amp, I remember the old 2ch alpine its recommended only 4ohms bridge but we running it 2ohms and pump it really hard never had problem, its not even cut off or protect :thumbsup:

tron07
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Just a wild guess here....
Probably wire to 1 ohm thats why the amp cuts, but now you wire to 4ohm and probably getting 150W to whack the sub which I would say will pretty underpowered. Turning up the gain will probably send a clip signal which will probably going to be the cause of the sub's death soon....

ICACHA
12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
why you are getting the Alpine Amp anyway :thumbdwn: , since they cant handle 1ohm load, I reckon most of the new amp now days is not as good as the old days amp, I remember the old 2ch alpine its recommended only 4ohms bridge but we running it 2ohms and pump it really hard never had problem, its not even cut off or protect :thumbsup:

Laski... maaaaate when was the last time you held your engine revs at redline all day?
I can't see why anyone would want to run an amp at 1 ohm anyway :o
Lower than a 2 ohm load and any amp will struggle i.e. damping and THD come into play, but as long as the ones listening to 1 ohm loads are tone deaf then its ok i guess :p
Im my humble opinion its about quality not quantity :)

The MRD-M501 amplifier is not my particular cup of tea (I struggle with their power and distortion levels) but they are well designed and well made so you won't go wrong with one. :)

Start your car and THD dont mean much if you cant distinguish it over the engine revs, road noise or car rattles :p I'd rather listen to a home system than sit in a car for hours on end :)

Fhrx
12-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Start your car and THD dont mean much

All depends on how high the THD is and how quiet the car is. ;)

I agree with you about the HT. That is why I sit in front of my HK / Dyn HT all night long. So much more beneficial than the days of old; sitting in the car all night... :D

aka_NSX
12-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Laski... maaaaate when was the last time you held your engine revs at redline all day?
I can't see why anyone would want to run an amp at 1 ohm anyway :o
Lower than a 2 ohm load and any amp will struggle i.e. damping and THD come into play, but as long as the ones listening to 1 ohm loads are tone deaf then its ok i guess :p
Im my humble opinion its about quality not quantity :)

Cmon George, My HCCA Orion never had that problem running 1ohm since they are able to run 1/2 ohm, the main thing for me as long as my High Amp is never go below 4ohms, anyway thats for me :p

ICACHA
13-04-2007, 07:07 PM
so you do see the dark side :p