PDA

View Full Version : Engine Check Light

schmick_mick
26-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi.

I fitted a B16A from a JDM 49 hatch front cut into my 95 EG GLi Sedan. All bolted in well and only had to add 3 wires to the harness.

Problem is that the engine check light comes on when she comes up to temperature and wont go away. The guage shows just below half (JDM CLUSTER), i have changed the sensor for the ECU and the switch for the thermo fan on the thermostat housing. Still no luck.

Any help would be great.
Cheers

schmick_mick
26-06-2004, 12:23 AM
make that a JDM 94'

[[d a n n y]]
26-06-2004, 01:04 AM
hm..common problem..

it's the o2 sensor..

u need to get 4wire o2 sensor..

my mechanics doing mine on tuesday..

i'll tell ya how it goes..

ur engine should b running into lean mode once the check light comes on..

ECU-MAN
26-06-2004, 01:27 AM
if you want to know what is causing the problem plug a short connector in. and find out what code is in your ecu. could be a number of things. I recon you will be encountering ELD and knock sensor problems. but without cheking the codes youll never know what made the MIL come on.

Doesnt the engine run Rich when in limp home mode !!!!

CIVIC-R
26-06-2004, 02:04 AM
yeah it will run rich... yeah sounds like the O2 sensor.

LatinoHatchCrap
26-06-2004, 09:26 AM
it will def. run rich. mine was doinng the same thing when the timing was retarded too much :o

[[d a n n y]]
26-06-2004, 10:13 AM
:? ...um..seriuz?

mine's running lean now..

lagging out so much...

drops idle to 500now.

ECU-MAN
26-06-2004, 05:44 PM
When a factory honda ecu goes into Limp Home Mode, a fault code is logged to RAM and the MCU is disabled, there is a backup microprocessor in the ECU with pre-determined fuel and timming maps, also revs are limmited to 4k ( this depends on fault and car ) the pre-determined fuel maps are RICH as to prevent damage to the engine...

how do you know its leaning out, try putting a O2 sensor mixture display kit on to see if its runnung lean or not, there only about 20 bucks from jaycar and are awsome for dianosing EFI problems, only catch is you have to assemble it.

schmick_mick
26-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Has the four wire EGO already. Took it to a honda dealer and put it on their analyser and it said it a ECT (engine coolant temp) fault code.

SIKCVC
26-06-2004, 09:53 PM
and then they said $99 for diagnosis and another $80 for the temp sensor :P

You guys jump to the o2 sensor conclusion too quick :P

ECU-MAN
27-06-2004, 06:39 PM
you dont need to take it to a dealer, you could check the ECU your self. All honda ECUs have onboard Diangnostics. all yo had to do was short out two wires and count the blinks on the MIL ( engine check light ) tell up the code and we tell you ECT $0. :)