PDA

View Full Version : Is my CR-V leaking oil?

Alpine
08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Not sure if this is anything to worry about or not but this evening I noticed the sump is wet with oil. It's not dripping onto the floor though, and when I checked the oil level its only half full. Is my CR-V leaking oil? :(

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q197/magna_elite/oil003Small.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q197/magna_elite/oil002Small.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q197/magna_elite/oil001Small.jpg

Drew
08-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Certainly looks like theres excess oil on the sump, it should be completely dry from the outside

Take it to somewhere with a hoist and let them look... Some places might be like "oh thats nothing oi, only a small leak" Insist on that they fix it or at least tell you where it is

A bit difficult to tell from photos ya know

bigjo5
08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
it looks like u need to change the sump bolt washer. cause u cant see the top could be the sump gasket . try to tighten the 10mm bolts around teh sump but make sure u dont do it too hard u might snap it.

marcus
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
gosh i had the same prob with you....nt many mechanics can solve the prob they will only tell u the rebuild the the whole engine or something similar which willl cost u at least 1.5k....

Dxs
11-04-2007, 11:13 PM
it doesnt look that bad at all..

most likely either your sump gasket or your sump washer..

do you do your own oil changes?
If so, you gotta crush the washer. Clean up the oil and maybe tighten the sump plug up a bit more and see how you go..

or even see how high the oil goes

xV73Cx
13-04-2007, 12:11 AM
it doesnt look that bad at all..

most likely either your sump gasket or your sump washer..

do you do your own oil changes?
If so, you gotta crush the washer. Clean up the oil and maybe tighten the sump plug up a bit more and see how you go..

or even see how high the oil goes

as the man said ...

u may want to spray some degreaser of some sort where u think its leakin at wash/wipe clean/dry ...then go for a drive and see exactly where its leakin from ..then i'd start from there ..

or could it be that your rocker cover gasket is a goneski and is leaking from the top then drippin/travellin to the bottom? :eek: did u look at the top rocker cover and see?

panda[cRx]
13-04-2007, 12:36 AM
i wouldn't judge it by the oil level, ALL cars burn oil to a certain extent.
there is always the possibility it wasn't filled to the correct level at it's last service

have you had any oil drops on your driveway/garage floor?
could it just be someone has made a mess during a service and not cleaned it well?

anyway as stated above its hard to tell from the pics but looks like could be from your sump gasket or sump washer. i guess even a really bad rocker cover gasket leak.

but yeah take it somewhere to get them to have a geez at it on a hoist and they can quote u from there. they shouldnt really charge you as they'll want you to go back there and get the repair done

Alpine
22-04-2007, 10:05 PM
No, no drops on the floor at all.

panda[cRx]
23-04-2007, 09:57 AM
well yeah we can't tell from those pics, either take it to get it checked out or mention it at your next service

fatboyz39
23-04-2007, 12:08 PM
pics looks clean. mayb leaking somewhere else?

bennjamin
23-04-2007, 12:19 PM
yup pix look like the usual mess that leaks down from the oil filter when its changed , and not wiped off.
Nothing to worry about.
BTW when was the engine oil last changed ? What kind of oil ? How many k's on the CRV ?

Alpine
23-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Last changed at a Honda dealership at the 60k service in October 2006. Now has 67k on the clock.

bennjamin
23-04-2007, 12:44 PM
half a year and 2k over the reccommended oil change interval ( every 5,000k).

I think you have no problem at all. You just need to do your 65k oil change.