PDA

View Full Version : HID vs white light bulbs

IAMVTEC
09-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Whats the difference in these 2. I seem to find HID has more glare. any other differences?

roar
09-04-2007, 04:17 AM
HID is more powerful but possibly needs modification to headlight assembly to focus the beam

taman
09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
HID's uses gases whereas white light bulbs burn a filament like any other halogen

newmski
09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
HID is a much stronger lightsource. and will light up the road much more clear.
the glare is from people who put HID bulbs in non-HID housings or retrofit without aligning properly.

m3ntAL_l2
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
HID is the way to go.
dont bother change to whie bulbs cant see shit at night, even stock ones are better

swinno
09-04-2007, 03:33 PM
^^^ buying white bulbs is pointless, you wont get the desired effect and u will just waste money until you decide to buy hid's :D go HID straight out :) imo anyway.

tim

mrwillz
09-04-2007, 05:10 PM
HID yoooooo in ek ftmfw :D

yourfather
09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Whats the difference in these 2. I seem to find HID has more glare. any other differences?

whats the difference between red and white wines hahaha

panda[cRx]
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
what's th difference between vegemite and peanut butter?

yourfather
10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
whats the difference between asians and white pplzzzzzzzzz

underc35a
10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
xenons:
35w
bulbs need to be ignited
Philips 85122 output 3200lm, 85122+ output 3400lm
3000 hrs lifespan

halogen "white" lights:
55w
Output depends on how blue the tint is, typically 1300lm or less, remember OEM H7 is approximately 1700lm, go figure!
800-1100 hrs lifespan

Bottom line is both OEM xenons and halogens will output more useful light that aftermarket junk

Muzz
17-04-2007, 04:54 PM
HID is the way to go.
dont bother change to whie bulbs cant see shit at night, even stock ones are better

All bulbs are different, just cus the ones you got wernt as bright as oem, dosnt mean all are like that! Ive got Philips white/blueish bulbs and they are tones brighter than my oem ones!

the lastest issue of autosalon tests a whole heap of bulbs (H4 60/55w) in there lateset issue on a subaru.

OEM on a subaru scored a 7 for brightness And colour temp of 3100k (the higher the colour temp, the bluer the bulb)
another scored a 9 for brightness, colour temp of 4200k (polarg hybrid halogen)
another scored a 8 with 4900K colour temp (polarg luxy white)
another scored a 8 with 4500k colour temp (philips crystal vision)

^^^ all white/blueish bulbs and brighter than oem. Tons of others also where brighter than oem, with a higher colour temp. Brightness and colour temp score was measured with a light meter, not judged by people.

quite a few other cheaper bulbs scored shit!

Arnt HIDs illegal to have on a car that didnt origionally come with them?
not to mention horrifically expensive?

Bottom line is both OEM xenons and halogens will output more useful light that aftermarket junk

Wow, its sounds almost like your stating a fact. Hahahha i love it, keep going!

Output depends on how blue the tint is

Is this another fact is it? It seems in this evaluation ive got here infront of me, some bulbs have a brighter output with bluer tint than others......
:confused:

IAMVTEC - If you wanna get white/blueish bulbs, go for it, I am stoked with mine! I recomend you get the latest issue of ASM though, to make an informed decision, as there are plenty of white/blueish bulbs out there that are shit compared to oem, they test 30 of the most popular bulbs and also list the prices and where you can get em.

underc35a
17-04-2007, 05:15 PM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Quote from the article:

"White light is made up of every color of light mixed together. But the colors are not all present in equal amounts. The output spectrum of filament bulbs, including halogen headlamp bulbs, includes a great deal of red, orange, yellow and green light, but very little blue or violet light. Blue bulbs have colored glass (or a filter coating applied to clear glass) that allows only the blue light through the filter — this is why the bulbs appear blue. Because very little blue light is produced by a halogen bulb in the first place, it is only this very small amount — a tiny fraction of the total amount of light produced by a halogen bulb filament — that ever reaches the road."

Muzz
17-04-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Quote from the article:

"White light is made up of every color of light mixed together. But the colors are not all present in equal amounts. The output spectrum of filament bulbs, including halogen headlamp bulbs, includes a great deal of red, orange, yellow and green light, but very little blue or violet light. Blue bulbs have colored glass (or a filter coating applied to clear glass) that allows only the blue light through the filter — this is why the bulbs appear blue. Because very little blue light is produced by a halogen bulb in the first place, it is only this very small amount — a tiny fraction of the total amount of light produced by a halogen bulb filament — that ever reaches the road."

Adding a blue coating to a particular bulb will reduce its brightness, same with making the tint bluer. You cant apply this across a range of different bulbs though saying that the bluer the tint in the glass, the less intense the light will be.