PDA

View Full Version : Need help! vtir/typeR exhaust question

shin78
11-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

Someone might have asked this question before, but I couldn't seem to find the information I need, so here I go..
apologies if there's already a thread on this topic.

I just bought a stock exhaust off an ITR (everything but the header. i.e cat, pipe, reso and muffler) to replace my VtiR exhaust from the cat down.
So I came home happy, popped the joint between the cat and the header in my VtiR, only to find out that the VtiR header doesn't fit the TypeR cat.. the holes on the flanges don't line up.. :( :(

The flange on the VtiR is on an angle so that one of the spring-loaded bolts is located higher off the ground than the other.. whereas they are almost horizontal in the ITR cat that I've got.
So looks like I'm going to have to get a typeR header as well...

I'd like to ask you this:

- Has anybody faced this problem?? Do people know about this? I've read some threads of people selling headers, but nobody mentions this difference... which is making me worried if the cat I've got is actually off a typeR...

- Does anybody run the OEM ITR header in a VtiR? Is it bolt-on?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks heaps :)

Shin

TODA AU
11-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Why you would do this is beyond me, but the whole system will bolt on.
The parts aren't exactly interchangable.
With a bit of fiddling, the cat back fits with the VtiR header & cat, but you're better off using the whole ITR system rather than parts.
This way there are no issues for the DIY @ home.

wlee2
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey SHIN!!!..

There can only be one Shin IN Melb Doing A DIy to his Frost White VTIR =p...

The whole system works well if you use ITR headers cat catback.

if you use the VTIR headers and cat.. will the Type R Catback fit on?

Cheers

Wayne

shin78
11-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the info, and Wayne, you guessed right, it's me :)

Well, the reason I'm doing this is that the previous owner had a loud muffler welded on which doesn't seem to give much performance enhancement, and I've been pulled over a couple of times for the noise.

So until I save up enough $$ to get a decent but not too loud exhaust (thinking Fujitsubo), I wanted to make do with the OEM ITR set-up. So far I've managed to source cat and catback cheap and I don't want to spend anymore $$$ on something I know I'll be replacing later.

Okay, I'll try fitting the ITR catback with the VtiR header & cat on the weekend.
and if it doesn't work, I'll replace just the axle back so at least it'll make it quieter.. and if that doesn't work either..

I'll post the results here.

Shin

shin78
15-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks to wlee2 and mugsee's help, we did the exhaust work today.
however, as it turns out the VtiR b-pipe is a bit longer than the ITR one as shown in the photo.

Top ITR / Bottom VtiR
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/shin78_aus/SDSC00079-1.jpg

The difference in length when the axle back side ends are aligned.
Left VtiR / Right ITR
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/shin78_aus/SDSC00080.jpg

The axleback is interchangeable between the ITR and VtiR.

Because the ITR cat doesn't fit on my VtiR header and I don't have an ITR header, we just changed the axle back, which at least made my exhaust heaps quieter... it'll make do with this set-up till I get a fujitsubo.

Here are the measurements in the inner diameter of the b-pipes (thx to wlee2)

cat-side end :
approx 40mm (VtiR) / approx 40mm (ITR because of the bottleneck bit. see the second photo)

axleback-side end
aprox 40mm (VtiR) / approx 45mm (ITR)

Thanks for your help wlee2 and mugsee!

TheSaint
15-04-2007, 07:07 PM
see much performance gains going from vti-r to itr?

i also have a white vti-r =)

how much did ur itr system cost?

good value for money mod?

Spunkymonkey
15-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I have the OEM ITR headers fitted on my vtir and it bolted straight on, however my exhaust was already changed on the car. Why don't you just change the muffler?

shin78
17-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I only changed the axle back, so there wasn't a performance gain that I could feel. I just wanted to take out the loud muffler I had.

I've still got the ITR cat and b-pipe if you are interested.
But, like I said, the diameter at the cat-side is almost the same between the two, so I'm not sure if you gain much.

TheSaint
17-04-2007, 10:23 AM
will ITR cat bolt up with mugen twin loop + toda 4-2-1?

shin78
17-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Not 100% sure, but if they are authentic Mugen and Toda (i.e Japanese ones), you'll probably need a JDM TypeR cat, which is shorter than the AUSDM ITR cat.

TheSaint
17-04-2007, 08:19 PM
pretty sure toda is australian

wlee2
18-04-2007, 07:52 AM
pretty sure toda is australian

IS it ?

I thought it was jap and we have a Australian distributer?

bennjamin
18-04-2007, 07:55 AM
IS it ?

I thought it was jap and we have a Australian distributer?

TODA is a JAPANESE brand , yes.

TODA AU is a reseller of TODA parts in australia.

Anyway , MOST times you will have to mod SOMETHING when putting on a new header / catback / muffler. Either a flange , or extend / reduce piping etc.

TheSaint
19-04-2007, 11:49 AM
wow i didnt know that

thanks bennjamin =)

the problem i was facing was i wanted to get a mugen twin-loop, toda headers, and a toda hi-flo cat... budget willing i cant do it all at once

iv always wanted to know if i get the cat back, will it be a problem fitting to my vti-r cat and than changing to a toda cat and header later down the track?