PDA

View Full Version : Boring throttlebody and TPS

Dxs
11-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I am always thinking about mods..
If i was to get a throttle body bored, by say maxbore (anyone actually got it done by him, there was a lot of potentials a while back). Obviously flow increases.

So i am wondering, the purpose of the TPS in regards to the ecu. And if i got a throttle body bored/ so in a sense higher flow, will it be ok with the stock ecu?

fatboyz39
11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Why bore it when you get buy 65mm throttle body for $300?

Bigger throttle body works well.

Dxs
11-04-2007, 04:40 PM
link me
:p

turtleEK1
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
don't think it will be a big problem... most people i've heard from whos upgraded their TB say theres no big hassles...

just be aware... depending on what motor it is, biggest TB doesn't mean best... it does get to a point where you start to lose power from a TB thats too big...

if your really that worried... buy a 2nd hand TB... get it done and swap it, if no good... put stock back on sell the bored one...

good luck!!

AsH_
11-04-2007, 11:08 PM
this is just a generalised question:

wat is better form of intake... single larger throttle body or the QUADS ???!!!

fatboyz39
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
link me
:p

Pm Or Email DynoDave, i know that he has some in stock.

weezer
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I had my TB bored by maxbore 3 years ago. He does a great job, cant recommend him enough. He will only bore the B16 TB to ITR specs 62mm tapered to 65mm. He will reuse your stock sensors. TPS only measures throttle position not flow.

Dxs
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks weezer,
well the b16a2 one can go beyond itr specs. or so i hear

but i will have to look into how big i want to go first..

68-70mm is definately too big for my application

JohnnyVtec
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes you can bore a throttlebody. In some cases it is recommended. I've never had a maxbore. Straight-bore throttlebodies *Especially* large diameter ones, are in my opinion a cause of power loss. In short, yes they may increase cfm, however the increased flow of air is useless without a *Tapered bore* basically without a taper bored throttlebody, or some arrangement to speed up your air intake. you'll be yet another ozhonda guy thinking, maybe my throttlebody is too big? why am i losing power?

The TPS in short works in conjunction with your throttlebody "simply put", as a stable way of mesuring your throttle blade position and providing efficiency within in its range of movment. Just make sure you've got your tps set properly and enough fuel pressure supplied to your engine once you've installed your new/modded tb, and all will be fine.

You can run stock ecu. Not reccomended... If you're going to change a key element such as a tb, you should source experienced honda mechanics/tuners in person or over the phone so that you don't suffer from mis-information. Which ensures that every option has been clearly considered.

There's a list of fellas on ozhonda who know their stuff and can provide you with direct factual information reguarding this mod/upgrade.

Hope this helps M8:thumbsup:

Dxs
22-04-2007, 05:22 PM
ok..

so just say i got a bigger TB or bored mine out in a near stock B16a.. used my original TPS and set it to the correct voltage when closed..

would i still be able to drive it fine on the stock ecu until i got it tuned?

DynoDave
22-04-2007, 07:53 PM
ok..

so just say i got a bigger TB or bored mine out in a near stock B16a.. used my original TPS and set it to the correct voltage when closed..

would i still be able to drive it fine on the stock ecu until i got it tuned?
Yes and it will make the car feel much better as the factory map is rich.
Regards Dyno Dave