PDA

View Full Version : how to go about fixing ripped subframes?

uneakz
11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
hey guys as title states..

its an 99 em1 with standard swaybar and i have no clue how it happen i work in a different state so i barely use my car..

anyway just need to know how to go about it asap for pinkslip

any help will be greatly appreciated
cheers
T

Zdster
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
You are running a stock rear swaybar and the subframe has ripped? Havent heard of that happening before.

Anyway, it is going to cost you a fair chunk of change to do it right. You need to remove the existing subframe, get an entire new rear subframe piece and have a bodyshop weld it into place. You might be able to get away with creating some sort of patch, but I would hate to think of the structural rigidity of it.

Mr_will
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
probly just needs a reweld unless its pretty major.

id say take it to a mechanic, and get a recommendation to a repair place.

when i was worried about mine tearing i spoke to ozzy tyres in newcastle, who said they would be able to do it.

at $40 an hour they quoted me 2-3 hours, but i doubt itd actually take them that long.

Chi
11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Was the car previously modded ?

Possibly previous owner had aftermarket sway bar and has over time weaken to torn it?

Ive never heard of stock sway bar tearing subframe.

Zdster
11-04-2007, 08:34 PM

when i was worried about mine tearing i spoke to ozzy tyres in newcastle, who said they would be able to do it.

at $40 an hour they quoted me 2-3 hours, but i doubt itd actually take them that long.

Even if it is a tear rather than a rip, you would want to re-weld/tie in the existing piece to the subframe as well as beef it up as it is no longer a single piece of metal (and therefore loses structual rigidity) at least I would have thought.

uneakz
11-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Zdster
You are running a stock rear swaybar and the subframe has ripped? Havent heard of that happening before.

Anyway, it is going to cost you a fair chunk of change to do it right. You need to remove the existing subframe, get an entire new rear subframe piece and have a bodyshop weld it into place. You might be able to get away with creating some sort of patch, but I would hate to think of the structural rigidity of it.

yup stock, any idea on how much?

Mr_will

i think its pretty major, last time i seen the car it had about 10mm left until it was completely ripped.

Chi
Was the car previously modded ?

Possibly previous owner had aftermarket sway bar and has over time weaken to torn it?

Ive never heard of stock sway bar tearing subframe.

im not sure if the car was previously modded, tried to get incontact with the last owner but no luck.

Samo
11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
its quite unusal as it was running stock suspension and sway bar at the time

i dont consider it that bad ... it is ripped around the driver side mounting point for the sway bar bracket .. pretty much just the part that the U-bracket bolts on to the sub-frame ripped arounds it ..

like i sed b4 ... just get it weld it back on with extra plates for reinforcement and then get a asr kit to strenghten the whole sub-frame so that the swaybar is mounted on the asr kit on directly on the sub-frame itself

g/l dude

uneakz
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
its quite unusal as it was running stock suspension and sway bar at the time

i dont consider it that bad ... it is ripped around the driver side mounting point for the sway bar bracket .. pretty much just the part that the U-bracket bolts on to the sub-frame ripped arounds it ..

like i sed b4 ... just get it weld it back on with extra plates for reinforcement and then get a asr kit to strenghten the whole sub-frame so that the swaybar is mounted on the asr kit on directly on the sub-frame itself

g/l dude

hey dude you back in nsw?

will it be able to pass pink slip though just welded back on lol?

bigjo5
12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
hey dude you back in nsw?

will it be able to pass pink slip though just welded back on lol?

yeah u will pas pink slip easy.. they dont fully looki under ur car adn stuff.

Samo
12-04-2007, 08:09 PM
yeah .. im back ..

yeah i reckon it will .. no probs

they wont even notice is u just rock up at a place and ask for pink slip on the spot...just say u want it now .. and dats all u wont done

they jus check lights, battery and jack up the front wheels to check for play
10-15 mins all done ..

uneakz
12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
last time i went for a pink slip they checked underneath my car full inspection everything and didnt pass me because the exhaust bracket was broken and hanging abit loose ffs..

Mr_will
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
yeah .. im back ..

yeah i reckon it will .. no probs

they wont even notice is u just rock up at a place and ask for pink slip on the spot...just say u want it now .. and dats all u wont done

they jus check lights, battery and jack up the front wheels to check for play
10-15 mins all done ..

thats true if your mechanic is dodgy.

you wouldnt get away with it at a reputable mechanic, and certainly not at a dealership.

places that pass cars for pinkslips when they shouldnt, are opening themselves up to huge liability issues.

dupac->
12-04-2007, 11:29 PM
well i went for a pinky not long ago.

they seemed to be more interested in tyres/lights/ride height

he didnt thave a full geeez under the car.. but i still didnt pass the pink slip.. for afew reasons haha but yea

tron07
13-04-2007, 09:04 AM
And you would still drive about in a car thats not safe? Get it fixed properly if you intend to go driving in it....

Samo
13-04-2007, 07:28 PM
thats true if your mechanic is dodgy.

you wouldnt get away with it at a reputable mechanic, and certainly not at a dealership.

places that pass cars for pinkslips when they shouldnt, are opening themselves up to huge liability issues.

i installed his tein SS on his car ..

so i know this car personally ... i see no reason why the car wont past pink slip other than the sub-frame

other than SS, and intake the car is dead stock

so if u get the sub-frame welded back on... it will be all good

:thumbsup:

Limbo
15-04-2007, 06:39 AM
yeah if the subframe is ripped it will fail a pink slip.
get it fixed, intakes are usually ignored for pink slips, only cops really pull you over for that.

I'd recommend a ASR brace after the subframe fix

BlitZ
15-04-2007, 08:10 AM
ok...
they need to drop the fuel tank.
remove LCA etc
drill out the spot welds for the subframe.

put nerw one on/... spot weld again
paint
vtec it around the block
then give car back

BlitZ
15-04-2007, 08:12 AM
ok...
they need to drop the fuel tank.
remove LCA etc
drill out the spot welds for the subframe.

put nerw one on/... spot weld again
paint
vtec it around the block
then give car back