PDA

View Full Version : Another person with an idle issue..

Dxs
12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Have problems with cold start up/idle on my b16a1..

Basically in the past the idle would be jumpy on cold start up..
So i thought i would check out the fitv on the manifold.. but it was screwed in tight enough..

After i did that my idle on cold start up is stuffed.
Basically when it is dead cold, it will basically just drop down almost immediately and almost stall, and will try to keep itself from stalling by just going to say 800rpm for a few seconds and then stall.

Feels like it is running rich too at that point.

But if i keep it reving to 2k rpm for like 20 seconds, and then let go off the throttle the idle will creep up to around 1.5k rpm from around 700rpm.. and act more like a normal cold start up.. feels as though it is still a bit low though

ideas?
i have reset the ecu like 4 times.. no luck

EuroDude
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Clean the Throttle Body, it sounds like the Idle Air Bypass pipe may be clogged, causing the engine to rev higher to avoid stalling.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35488&highlight=throttle

Dxs
12-04-2007, 01:58 PM
it isnt reving high..
it is reving low on cold start and stalling

might clean the iacv and tb again (did it 10 months ago).. reset and see how i go

cbf touching the fitv again

EuroDude
12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah if its revving low, the TB could be dirty somewhere in there. Give it a good clean again and see how that goes.
My Civic was revving a bit too low for my liking especially on A/C, cleaning the TB fixed the prob

Try not to adjust the Idle Screw. U wanna fix the source of teh problem rather than just patch the problem, which may cause other issues

ACTI0NMAN-1
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
could be your intake air temp sensor. i just changed mine and nolonger have an initial high idle.
btw they are $65 for a b18c.

ECU-MAN
12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
you should really adjust the fitv while the engine is runing. you dont screw it in all the way either, ( yes is temparily maskes the problem, but you get cold idle problems like you get)

with a warm engine, adjust the fitv until you get a steady idle, put the plate back on, then see how it idles when its cold.

look for vacum leaks

Dxs
22-04-2007, 01:42 PM
ok as said.. when the engine is cold it just dies down and tries not to stall.. as soon as i start it.. after a while it while like a few mins it will start to idle at 1.5kish (still kinda below what it used to)..

I have checked the hole in the TB to the FITV i believe, and there is a lot of suction.
Cleaned the TB
Cleaned the IACV
Reset ECU

still probs :/

CRXer
22-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Air bubbles in the coolant?
ECT sensor stuffed?

Dxs
22-04-2007, 02:47 PM
where is the ECT?

What about the IAT? Could that do it..

might drain and redo rad fluid now

CRXer
22-04-2007, 03:01 PM
ECT is under the dizzy/vtec solenoid,next to the temp sender.
ECT tells the ecu what the coolant temp is.

Just bleed your rad fluid make sure no air bubbles gettin trapped at the fitv.

IAT has nothing to do with cold idle.

kyle
22-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Check List for Idle Issues

-ECT Sensor
-IACV
-FITV
-Thermo Switch
-Coolent Bubbles

Dxs
22-04-2007, 03:46 PM
just had a look..
is the ECT a small temp looking sensor under the dizzy in amongst a few coolant hoses?

Why would the thermo switch affect cold start up.. the fan is no coming on when cold..

how do i diagnose if the ECT is the prob
or if the IACV is?

CRXer
22-04-2007, 04:09 PM
yes ect under the dizzy,its the one with 2 wires,the one next to it with 1 wire is the temp sender to your guage cluster.

ect should be giving about 2-5 kohms when engine cold & bout 200-400 ohms when engine at operating temp(hot).

i'd be lookin at the air bubbles first as the ECT only affects the IACV operation,as the FITV is independant of the ECU.

If your engine is stalling at cold start more likely to be something wrong with FITV/rad fluid type stuff.IACV just fine tunes the idle with in about 300 rpms.

Is the IACV sucking cleanly thru the throttle body like u said the FITV is?

Thermo switch nothing to do with it.

Dxs
22-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I didnt know IACV sucks through the TB

just opened up the bleed valve and did the coolant and let it warm up with no rad cap.. fluid was fine anwyay, also reset the ECU

will see how it goes

CRXer
22-04-2007, 05:31 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1249Small.jpg

Dxs
22-04-2007, 05:54 PM
cheers mate..
might check it tomorrow if there is still probs

kyle
23-04-2007, 01:36 PM
wait until your car is completley warmed up, or what you think is warmed up, unplug the ECT sensor, does the idle drop down to normal?

Bludger
23-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Try checking all pipes and attatchments on the intake manifold.
A small leak may cause idle fluctuations.

Dxs
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
can anyone get me a pic or a diagram of the ECT

is it an unclipable plug on it?

CRXer
08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1075Small-1.jpg

Dxs
08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
thanks a lot crxer..

will get around to checking this out tommorow (finally)

czy_sol87
09-05-2007, 12:10 AM
hey dan

i tried reseting the ecu like u said and it didnt help, any other ideas
i think i might try pulling out the entire intake manifold next time and give it a good clean

louis

Dxs
09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
louis.. here is an old thread about idle issues i had
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36806

you have jumpy idle yeah? just like up down up down when cold..
where as mine just dies on its arse from start up and after a little while will goto 1.5krpm and the idle sometimes is normal when warm and sometimes a little high

as said, i would clean your IACV and throttle body.. reset ecu and dont touch the car at all for like 10 mins let it warm up.. then turn off again and turn on and drive.. but yeah if i get this sorted i will let you know.. but i seem to have a dif problem then you at the moment