PDA

View Full Version : 2nd to 3rd Gear synchro question again..

locote
12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Ive used redline MTF now in my box for a month and the problem is still persisting..

Should i just hold off buying shockproof oil and wait till it carcks it completely then recon it..

Or do u guys that have come up with similar problem think i should buy redline heavy chock proof and give it a go (RED STUFF)????

EK4R
12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
why are you using redline ??? gearbox oil should best be kept with OEM honda....i know cos i have had a few friends ruining their gearbox using redline.

sydteg21
12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
why are you using redline ??? gearbox oil should best be kept with OEM honda....i know cos i have had a few friends ruining their gearbox using redline.

not if you crunch synchros all the time man,i know a few people crunch gear with oem one and all good with after market one.

XB-16-AX
12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
im starting to have the similar problems now on my B16A Cable tranny, ive got BLUE STUFF Redline, might try RED STUFF or OEM one at a time and see how it goes..

it only started after having the blue stuff in after 9months ..so it works at the beginning... hmmm

let me know locote of your findings man! id be keen on the fix!

G3RA1D
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I serviced my car over the weekend and used Redline lightweight Shockproof - blue stuff.. My gearbox (ITR box) definitely feels so much better, all gears go in smoothly regardless of what RPM i shift.
Prior to changing the oil, it was pretty notchy, and shifting from 3rd to 4th gear above 3000rpm would crunch the gear real bad, i use to avoid it by going from 3rd to 5th...
Now i can shift from 3rd to 4th at 7000rpm and it slides in pefectly. I've only been using it for a couple of days, but i have nothing but praises for the product.
Will have to give it a few more weeks to see if there are any negative effects. So far so good tho, well worth the investment. :) :thumbsup:

locote
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
ill try the blue stuff on weekend.
thanks for input

ctn
13-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Try this stuff.

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=54_55&products_id=74

Better than Redline and Motul.

XB-16-AX
13-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Try this stuff.

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=54_55&products_id=74

Better than Redline and Motul.
where in sydney can you get this shiet? what shops sells them?

have u personall try the oil?

ctn
13-04-2007, 05:44 PM
You can get it from GCCorp. Talk to Gerard.

They are located inside the PAR building in Minto. I'm sure you've heard of PAR gearsets.

I'm using the Neo Platinum gear oil in my gearbox that has a clutch lsd and the engine oil. The oils are ****ing awesome.

locote
14-04-2007, 12:41 PM
using red line red oil now feels lot beter..
takes a very savage gear change into 3rd to make the synchro fail..

integraboy22
15-04-2007, 08:54 PM
redline oil much better than mtf imo

Civic Type R
16-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Exactly.
Locote, I had exactly the same problem in my old car which is now [EK4R]'s car. I had installed a special set of GEARSPEED carbon coated synchros when i had my gearbox rebuilt and it fixed everything. Remember, clutches do wear out and its usually the gearbox that takes the brunt of it, hence the problems you have now.

So if i were you, get yourself a set of GEARSPEED carbon coated synchros from USA, have the box rebuilt and use Honda MTF only.

Redline doesnt work well with our B series boxes especially when you have these problems. Ive tested and used the stuff and had gone thru 3 boxes myself. I dont care who tells you otherwise.

locote
16-04-2007, 07:15 PM
so far the problem is fixed..
If it pops up again ill pm ya to get detail bout the carbon synchros as id be intereted...
But atm, the knotchiness and grinding is gone..

G3RA1D
16-04-2007, 11:44 PM
so far the problem is fixed..
If it pops up again ill pm ya to get detail bout the carbon synchros as id be intereted...
But atm, the knotchiness and grinding is gone..

yeah, same here..
still going good.!

Civic Type R
17-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Its not really fixed, you are just masking the problem with expensive oil whilst more parts are being worn away without you knowing it. You may think its fixed but trust me its NOT!

In June Locote wrote:
"wheres that place who built your gearbox again Adam ...?" :)

SuperDave
17-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Don't use shockproof on gearboxes with synchros, it isn't designed for it. The shockproof is a awesome fluid, but you need something that helps the synchros work. I have run the lightweight and heavyweight in my gearbox and almost had to rebuild it because of the shocking shifting problems. Put Motul 300 in and all the problems are almost gone after 2000km of driving. Initially the shockproof would allow smooth changes, but the synchros would then glaze and start causing problems.

Civic Type R
17-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Don't use shockproof on gearboxes with synchros, it isn't designed for it. The shockproof is a awesome fluid, but you need something that helps the synchros work. I have run the lightweight and heavyweight in my gearbox and almost had to rebuild it because of the shocking shifting problems. Put Motul 300 in and all the problems are almost gone after 2000km of driving. Initially the shockproof would allow smooth changes, but the synchros would then glaze and start causing problems.

Exactly ! :thumbsup:

xtercii
19-04-2007, 12:15 PM
has anyone tried redline MTL, on the label is says it's for Honda and etc. So has anyone had any problems with it?

Civic Type R
19-04-2007, 12:21 PM
has anyone tried redline MTL, on the label is says it's for Honda and etc. So has anyone had any problems with it?

yes and how loud would you like me to shout DO NOT USE !

xtercii
19-04-2007, 01:09 PM
hhahha too late using it already...and all the talk in this thread is about shockproof, nothing is really mentioned about mtl...

Leprechaun
26-04-2007, 09:12 AM
soo... at the end of the day if you have a similar problem what should we be using? not redline i take it?

Civic Type R
27-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Use Honda MTF.
Honda boxes are different to Nissan boxes etc.. - which react different to redline gear oils.

Moya
30-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Use Honda MTF.
Honda boxes are different to Nissan boxes etc.. - which react different to redline gear oils.

OK, thats enough talking out of you without stating facts.

5 people have said it has helped the notchyness and your merely running around with your undies around your ankles yelling stop using it.

Spill the real numbers of zip up..

locote
30-04-2007, 11:58 PM
LOL...
4 weeks with redline heavyweight and gearbox shifts beautifull.....