PDA

View Full Version : Turbo upgrade for DC4

proto-fenix
15-04-2007, 12:17 PM
If I was to buy one of these kits (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-Series-TURBO-KIT-Bolt-On-Acura-Integra-Honda-Civic_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ014QQit emZ330109513735QQrdZ1) for my 96 GSi, what else would be involved in installing all the turbo stuff?

Would I need a new ECU? If so, how much do they cost? Roughly how much would installation cost in total? Would I need to get the car dyno-tuned? What kind of performance increase could I expect?

Thanks in advance.

Q_ball
15-04-2007, 09:11 PM
a) Ebay = shit (dont buy any kits off ebay)
b) ECU + Cost = Yes, ull need a management system, price will depend on how deep your pockets are - range from about 500 and up.
c) Labour pends on the varying workshop - allow roughly 1k for a simple bolt on kit.
d) Dyno tune is a must for any turbo application to run effectively - dont forget that this will cost as well ~500.
e) Performance increase will vary...basic kits and management (no internal work) with a good tune will produce roughly ~140-160kw atw.
f) SEARCH!!!!!!

Zdster
15-04-2007, 09:20 PM
What's wrong with ebay kits? I don't exactly have a huge amount of cash to spend, which perhaps isn't the best basis for a turbo conversion.

Correct. Until you have the money I wouldnt be looking into this.

Q_ball
15-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Stainless manifolds look good, but crack way to easily due to the rapid changes in heat.

Joeyboy
15-04-2007, 09:59 PM
alot of ppl get put-off with ebay because there's alot of misconceptions with ebay and what is being sold, quality, etc. :eek: however nowadays there are alot of reputable ebay sellers and are real businesses trying to make a living and wanting to avoid things like accommodation costs (for a shop), any government fees and political red tape. I've bought items from ebay many times b4 and also have sold some.

the thing is, u get what u see in pix. and some items u really get what u paid for (meaning buy cheap, get cheap :D ). do some research in ebay, read up about the reputation of the seller, read the feedbacks (that's what they are they for), ask the seller questions (could include postage, insurance, their policies, quality???). and if they dodge your Q's then i personally wouldnt go for it.

i personally wouldnt buy from someone who has less than 97% feedback rating (and that's pushing it!!). and i would strongly recommend buying from someone in aussie as if a problem occurs, then they wont be too far to track down. if you are on a tight budget, y not try saving up for a li'l more and get good quality. eBay seems to be seasonal at times. this month they might not have what u are exactly looking for, but next month could be a different story.

by the way, a friend of mine bought a WRX turbo recently to install in his paseo and it works like a charm! the turbo was around $300. he already had an intercooler though. he got the turbo installed for around $1000 (brisbane). i dont know much abt installation of turbos, so I dont know exactly how that grand was spent. i would ring around for prices around your area. yellowpages would be a good start. or somewhere in this forum would tell you (or u could ask) if any other members have got turbo installed in your area.

like i said, just keep your eyes out in eBay...every week. peace! :cool:

NeRV
15-04-2007, 10:10 PM
it only takes a few minutes to search about ebay kits such as ssac and xs power, go and have a good read and make up your own opinion on ebay kits, but like everyone says you get what you pay for.

proto-fenix
15-04-2007, 10:25 PM
What's wrong with ebay kits? I don't exactly have a huge amount of cash to spend, which perhaps isn't the best basis for a turbo conversion.